Ghent Wevelgem : 8th April 2009.

This is going to be a boring race unless one team tries extra hard to make it interesting. Or the weather is horrible. But either way only one man is going to win this and that's Cavendish. If he can do Sanremo then two little cobbled climbs with the last one coming at 30k to go isn't going to be a problem for him.

limerickman said:
Stuey was listed on the CN start list.

Has he dropped out??

Still licking his MSR wounds. Bummer for him, apparently he was in the form of his life.

Team Saxo Bank

171 Kurt-Asle Arvesen (Nor)
172 Matthew Goss (Den)
173 Matti Breschel (Den)
174 Fabian Cancellara (Swi)
175 Lars Bak (Den)
176 Kasper Klostergaard (Den)
177 Marcus Ljungqvist (Swe)
178 Juan José Haedo (Arg)

Eldrack said:
This is going to be a boring race unless one team tries extra hard to make it interesting. Or the weather is horrible. But either way only one man is going to win this and that's Cavendish. If he can do Sanremo then two little cobbled climbs with the last one coming at 30k to go isn't going to be a problem for him.
Cancellara has no chance in a field sprint so he would need a small bump before the finnish or then he'd need to do a similiar attack with 1K to go like he has done in the TdF and MSR. And I doubt the other teams will let him get away with a breakaway unless the other big names are with him.

Cav's race to lose. With the form he is in and the strong team around him it's hard to imagine he will lose. But it's very possible. Ciolek will be strong today.

classic1 said:
Still licking his MSR wounds. Bummer for him, apparently he was in the form of his life.

Team Saxo Bank

171 Kurt-Asle Arvesen (Nor)
172 Matthew Goss (Den)
173 Matti Breschel (Den)
174 Fabian Cancellara (Swi)
175 Lars Bak (Den)
176 Kasper Klostergaard (Den)
177 Marcus Ljungqvist (Swe)
178 Juan José Haedo (Arg)
It will be good to see them build a sprint team around Goss in future years. It's about time this kid comes on. He is a talent. They need to work with him in other races and then look for him for the classics when he is 25 and above. He was beating Cavendish in junior days. There's no reason why he can't develop and beat Cavendish now. But he needs to develop and they need to let that happen and then there will be another Aussie sprinter who is solid.

Grater said:
It will be good to see them build a sprint team around Goss in future years. It's about time this kid comes on. He is a talent. They need to work with him in other races and then look for him for the classics when he is 25 and above. He was beating Cavendish in junior days. There's no reason why he can't develop and beat Cavendish now. But he needs to develop and they need to let that happen and then there will be another Aussie sprinter who is solid.
yeah, Breschel and JJ. No chance he can ride for himself.

Unfortunately Breschel is in the lead group with Goss and Cancellara so it looks like my dream for Goss won't be Goss today.

The 32 man lead group is very strong.

Rab: Brown, Hayman, Leezer, Tankink
Silence Elijzen
Astana: Bazajev
BTL: Chainel,
GCE: Portal, Marlon Perez,
Caisse: Koldo Fernandez,
FDJ: Goetarovitsj,
GRM: Wiggins, Sutton,
LIQ: Fischer, Koesjinski, Quinziato,
Col: Boasson Hagen, Burghardt, Eisel, Hincapie,
Katusha: Napolitano,
Saxo: Goss, Breschel, Cancellara,
CTT: Hunt, Klier, Lancaster, Rasch, Rollin,
SKS: Lemoine, Van Hummel,
Topsport: Lodewijck

Although there are no Milram up the front and no Garmin. So Cavendish is still a chance but you would think with 4 teams with half their team up there, it's going to be difficult now for Cavendish.

Who out of that list wins?

Grater said:
Unfortunately Breschel is in the lead group with Goss and Cancellara so it looks like my dream for Goss won't be Goss today.

The 32 man lead group is very strong.

Rab: Brown, Hayman, Leezer, Tankink
Silence Elijzen
Astana: Bazajev
BTL: Chainel,
GCE: Portal, Marlon Perez,
Caisse: Koldo Fernandez,
FDJ: Goetarovitsj,
GRM: Wiggins, Sutton,
LIQ: Fischer, Koesjinski, Quinziato,
Col: Boasson Hagen, Burghardt, Eisel, Hincapie,
Katusha: Napolitano,
Saxo: Goss, Breschel, Cancellara,
CTT: Hunt, Klier, Lancaster, Rasch, Rollin,
SKS: Lemoine, Van Hummel,
Topsport: Lodewijck

Although there are no Milram up the front and no Garmin. So Cavendish is still a chance but you would think with 4 teams with half their team up there, it's going to be difficult now for Cavendish.

Who out of that list wins?
I reckon they will be pulled back.

thunder said:
I reckon they will be pulled back.
As a Columbian man, I hope it isn't. Eisel, Burghardt, Hincapie and Boasson-Hagen up there. Why risk it for one man? Columbia won't want it brought back. Neither will Rabobank.

However, it's only 3 minutes and all it takes is 8 quick step men and 8 milram men and it's game over.

I'm kinda hoping it stays away.

Although I don't know why a group such as this is ahead. Do you know? Was there a split in the peloton early on with the wind?

Grater said:
As a Columbian man, I hope it isn't. Eisel, Burghardt, Hincapie and Boasson-Hagen up there. Why risk it for one man? Columbia won't want it brought back. Neither will Rabobank.

However, it's only 3 minutes and all it takes is 8 quick step men and 8 milram men and it's game over.

I'm kinda hoping it stays away.

Although I don't know why a group such as this is ahead. Do you know? Was there a split in the peloton early on with the wind?
bout time you changed your avatar if you are a columbia man.

is that not Sink in the avatar grates?

McEwen made it up there! Although now if Columbia were smart, there are a few solid sprinters up there. Let them do the work and not contribute in the hope it is brought back for Cavendish who will be fresh on the scene....

Yeah it is Sinkewitz. So I will be changing it soon. Just havn't done it yet.

thunder said:
is he at Volksbank Vorratec or whatever they are?
PSV Whirlpool

Hasn't done much this year. Best he got in one race was 44th overall I think.

Seriously, Columbia should drop 3 riders back and help the break be caught.

Brown is eliminated. Haussler has tired legs and doesn't have a team as 6 riders are up there. Boonen is concentrating on Roubaix. McEwen is up there. If Columbia were smart in 20-30km time drop back and concentrate on this group being gobbled up as Cavendish's threats are going to be eliminated.

Leave Eisel up there. This is playing into Cav's hands if dealt with properly. Don't contribute to the work in the group over the next 20 - 30km and then drop back with 50km to go. Make those guys do work like McEwen and others.

If I was the Director, that's how I would play it.