ghisallo 2003 and 2004 - noticeable difference?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by bikeboy31, Jan 28, 2005.

1. bikeboy31

bikeboy31 New Member

Has anyone had an opportunity to compare the 2003 ghisallo frame to the 2004 model - Is there a noticeable difference in lateral stiffness due to the increase in the size of the seat tube:confused:

Tags:

2. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

Well, Mario Aerts got 2nd on stage 17 of the 2002 Tour on a Ghisallo. So. Ask yourself: if a 2002 Ghisallo can get 2nd on a mountain stage at the Tour, how much is a bigger seat tube diameter going to help you?

3. chrispopovic

chrispopovic New Member

I have the '03 and it's ridiculously stiff. There is no flex to speak of. If the '04 is stiffer, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

By the by, the Ghisallo is an unbelievable bike.

4. bikeboy31

bikeboy31 New Member

Thanks for the feedback - I bought the 2003 model and i'm in the process of building up the frame at the moment - will post some pic's when its done! What gear do you have on your ghisallo?

5. chrispopovic

chrispopovic New Member

Mavic SSCs
    Continental GP Racing Force (23 rear, 22 front)
    FSA Crankset Octalink 9 speed (much stiffer than the Dura Ace)
    Full Dura Ace 9 speed '03
    Campy Record extended seatpost (very, very key and comfortable)
    LOOK HSC fork ('04)
    Easton EC90 Bars
    ITM Mantis Racing Stem
    Fizik Aliante Carbon seat (just got it, very comfy)
    Chris King headset (33 mil of carbon spacers)
    LOOK CX6 Pedals

Full rig is just over 16 pounds. I get lots of looks and questions. Definitely not a bike you see every day. I'm thinking about upgrading the drivetrain to 10 speed Dura Ace but a buddy of mine is telling me to go Campy Record. It's a tough call to make as I hear Campy is a bear to work on - new tools, not many mechanics and all.

6. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

Excuse me for a second while I clean up the drool... Is that a matching Ti frame pump you have on there?

7. chrispopovic

chrispopovic New Member

Not yet. It's actually just a plastic/aluminum ROAD 5459 Master Blaster. I had a bad experience on a century and blew out two valves on tubes with freaking CO2 cartridges. I asked my LBS for the best frame pump avialable and they ordered me this. No kidding, this frame is pretty incredible. I can fill my tire just as fast as a floor pump and I'll never run out of cartridges or have to hear them jingling around in my saddle bag.

As for the Ti pump, I just saw one in this week's VeloNEWS. Retail is only about $329. Ouch. I'd love to have it but getting that one past the wife is going to cost me big time.

8. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

Good luck with the wife. I've seen a few Ti pumps, but I'm not sure if the huge bling factor and minute weight savings are worth the extra couple hundred dollars.