Giant 2005 TCR1 opinions

dougal

Nov 16, 2003
Thinking about buying a 2005 tcr 1 - any opinions, anyone have one yet?

Seems like a good deal?

What else would you consider for the same price?

in my mind nothing is better for the money than the TCR 1.
in australia it comes with pedals for $2600, and this can be negotiated with your LBS.
if i were getting it i would upgrade the wheelset, and it would be a great package.
the wheelset and the fork(550g aluminium steerer) are the only downsides to the bike

phillip-8727 said:
in my mind nothing is better for the money than the TCR 1.
in australia it comes with pedals for $2600, and this can be negotiated with your LBS.
if i were getting it i would upgrade the wheelset, and it would be a great package.
the wheelset and the fork(550g aluminium steerer) are the only downsides to the bike

Agree that TCR very good value for money; wanting to get this same model some time early next year. Wouldn't hesitate!

Just out of interest: something I noticed about last year's Giant models was how the specs varied depending where you lived in this world; e.g. the OCR1 available on the US market had a damn sight better range of components (Ultegra) than the UK/Eire counterpart (Tiagra & Tektro) for the same cash. In fact, I think the $ rate worked out cheaper. Pretty cheeky, eh?

EU import regs or shipping driving up price, maybe?

Good luck with your new purchase if you decide to go ahead.

Gilders

p.s. why on earth have Giant decided to change the OCR geometry to semi-compact? What's the benefit? Now seem to be modelling OCR as TCR alternative, as opposed to a "beginner's TCR"; the lowest spec TCR is A LOT cheaper than highest OCR, plus using same grade of alumin(i)um 6061 instead of 6013. Not really sure what they're trying to do here - any ideas?

Gilders said:
Agree that TCR very good value for money; wanting to get this same model some time early next year. Wouldn't hesitate!

Just out of interest: something I noticed about last year's Giant models was how the specs varied depending where you lived in this world; e.g. the OCR1 available on the US market had a damn sight better range of components (Ultegra) than the UK/Eire counterpart (Tiagra & Tektro) for the same cash. In fact, I think the $ rate worked out cheaper. Pretty cheeky, eh?

EU import regs or shipping driving up price, maybe?

Good luck with your new purchase if you decide to go ahead.

Gilders

p.s. why on earth have Giant decided to change the OCR geometry to semi-compact? What's the benefit? Now seem to be modelling OCR as TCR alternative, as opposed to a "beginner's TCR"; the lowest spec TCR is A LOT cheaper than highest OCR, plus using same grade of alumin(i)um 6061 instead of 6013. Not really sure what they're trying to do here - any ideas?
The TCR and OCR are built for different purposes. TCR is pure racing. OCR is more "comfort" oriented (or touring). I wouldn't consider the OCR as a "beginners TCR".

Although I'd prefer the TCR, I kinda like the new 2005 OCR Carbon frame. The tubes have a curved look to them.

grampy bone said:
The TCR and OCR are built for different purposes. TCR is pure racing. OCR is more "comfort" oriented (or touring). I wouldn't consider the OCR as a "beginners TCR".

Although I'd prefer the TCR, I kinda like the new 2005 OCR Carbon frame. The tubes have a curved look to them.

Thanks for info; like you TCR preferred, but agree that OCR Composite is truly a nice-looking frame!

But quel surprise - it's not sold in the UK! We don't have anything domestically offered like this by Giant in the OCR range. Have a look some time at the specs for these UK/Eire -sold bikes and compare to the US models; better specced and, more than likely, alot cheaper! The difference is even more obvious if you compare the 2004 US and UK/Eire models... higher spec, cheaper relative prices. Seems somewhat unfair, even after considering X/M tarriffs and shipping...

Wondering if any of you people out there from other countries have noted this same type of disparity?

Or is this an(other?) example of so-called "Rip-off Britain", perhaps?

Let's not even begin to compare petrol / gas prices!!! ;)

Gilders said:
Have a look some time at the specs for these UK/Eire -sold bikes and compare to the US models; better specced and, more than likely, alot cheaper! The difference is even more obvious if you compare the 2004 US and UK/Eire models... higher spec, cheaper relative prices. Seems somewhat unfair, even after considering X/M tarriffs and shipping...

Wondering if any of you people out there from other countries have noted this same type of disparity?

Or is this an(other?) example of so-called "Rip-off Britain", perhaps?

Let's not even begin to compare petrol / gas prices!!! ;)

The specs in this country seem to be identical to the bikes on the US website, at least for the 2003 models, which is when I last checked.

grampy bone said:

And i think they only come in triples.

dougal said:
Thinking about buying a 2005 tcr 1 - any opinions, anyone have one yet?

Seems like a good deal?

What else would you consider for the same price?

I bought TCR 2 for my son for Christmas. He's a junior racer. I arrived yesterday. Looks great. I think he'll like it. If not, I'll ride it.