Giant AC1 2002 whats it like? weight?

sunburst

Oct 6, 2003
Hi

im thinking of buying the AC1 2002 model.If anyone could tell me what the bike is like would be great. ive heard some good reviews about it but still undecided.
Also how much does it weigh kgs ?

AC frames, especially 2003 and older, WILL crack. Unless your doing light trail riding, and very little jumping, freeriding, dropping, etc, I wouldn't buy it. Think of it as a beefed up XC bike.

AC Frames are notorious for cracking, and I have heard at least 20-30 cases of it happening. The 2004 model has beefier welds and a slightly beefier frame (I *think*), but I still wouldnt push it.

Other than the frame cracking issues, I haven't heard any problems - AC's usually come well spec'd for the dollar. I'd stay away from it though.

Im not 100% sure on weight, but i'm sure it would be under 40 pounds. I'd think somewhere between 35 and 40.

What are you planning on doing with the bike? XC, trailriding, light freeride, and a few small jumps and small drops etc should be fine. Anything bigger, and i'd get a different bike.

Well... I checked mtbr.com... (if you havent already) and everyone seems quite quite happy with the bike. Only one or two people said they cracked it.
So take what I said above with a grain of salt, but just know that it might happen if you push it.

http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/2002_Full_Suspension/product_85160.shtml

I'm guessing your getting it second hand? If your getting a good price on it, go for it. Just don't go too hard on it, and everything should be fine. :)

I've got a 2003 AC2 and i weigh almost 100kg in riding gear

so far the bike has held up fine apart from a blown rear shock ( that was the shops fault, I TOLD them i needed stiffer springs)

The AC is super comfy to ride downhill but its an absolute pig uphill, mine weighs about 17kg and the AC1 is probably heavier due to beefier forks.

For an all day bike its ok but i hurt on the epic rides and wish i hadn't sold my hard tail, when things head down hill i laugh like a maniac and leave the poor XC freaks eating dust

if you do buy one i'd upgrade to the Manitou swinger coil rear shock or the identical 5th element, they are sweet!!!!

Hi!! I guess it's almost two years since your post was submitted, nevertheless, I came across this opportunity to promote my favorite bike and talk about it for a little while. Who could resist??
I ride the Giant AC1 2002, Marzocchi 6" front, and rock shock 6" somethin' in the back. Mine has XTR rear derailer and XT front, Hayes disk hydraulic braking, Michelin fat wheels, and rhino lite sunrims. The bike is bad!
I definately consider it my downhill bike at 48 lbs. i can get it up quite a bit of stuff, but it's never pleasant. However, in my hometown, on a thrashing, rocky, root-filled, dust bowl, gravelly trail, there is no other bike to be had. It's hell of tough and has given me 0 problems.
Well wait, the hydraulic tube came undone and squirted juice everywhere about my first week on it, but it was fixed for free, and I was pretty tough on it.
I did witness a co-rider's bike frame split at the seatpost insert, but it was replaced by the factory.
There's nothing like this bike for toughness. It is a beast. Not puny or brittle at all. Beat the **** out of it, because it can take it. I sure do!

:cool: