Giant aero seatpost replacement?

glambx

Aug 18, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm trying to find another seatpost compatible with my Defy Advanced 3; I'd like to keep two saddles on seatposts (with saddlebags) ready to go - one big endurance (for 2+ hour rides) and one racing saddle for mountain climbing, and .. well, racing.

But I can't seem to find many; virtually all (even aero seatposts) use a round hole in the frame, where mine is teardrop shaped.

Giant refers to it as a "Vector Composite Seatpost" .. but I can't find any for sale anywhere. Does anyone know of any others that are compatible?

I believe the Giant seatpost shape is proprietary, so you'll have to ante up for another Giant seatpost.

glambx said:
Well that's annoying. :mad:

But, thanks for the info.

It can be annoying. The list of components proprietary to a given manufacturer is growing: BB's, seatposts, cranks,.....On one hand I hate that as it takes away some of an owner's ability to customize/personalize their bike, while at the same time increasing the cost to the owner for said proprietary components. I have a Look 595 and to switch my Epost (their proprietary mast for their integrated seatpost) would cost ~$400). On the other hand, I can see how a manufacturer would want to keep a customer coming back to them. Moreover, with increasingly complex designs, I think proprietary parts is one natural byproduct.

alienator said:
It can be annoying. The list of components proprietary to a given manufacturer is growing: BB's, seatposts, cranks,.....On one hand I hate that as it takes away some of an owner's ability to customize/personalize their bike, while at the same time increasing the cost to the owner for said proprietary components. I have a Look 595 and to switch my Epost (their proprietary mast for their integrated seatpost) would cost ~$400). On the other hand, I can see how a manufacturer would want to keep a customer coming back to them. Moreover, with increasingly complex designs, I think proprietary parts is one natural byproduct.

I have to hope that some of it has to do with integration quality, and not just the start of a generalized trend. :mad: Sitting out on the bleeding edge here, I guess it just takes more time for 3rd parties to spring up for some of this stuff.

FWIW. Other than being heavy, a BROOKS B17 saddle might fill-the-bill for all the riding situations you anticipate ... and, thereby preclude your need for a second seatpost.

N.B. A lot of people apparently do NOT realize that the distance between the rails & the top of most leather saddles is greater than for most modern saddles, so you will need to pre-measure the distance between the top of your current saddle & whatever point on the frame that you choose (I just use the center of the BB) to ensure that the 'new' saddle starts at the correct height for you.

There is some difference of opinion as to the tilt (if any) of the saddle (this seems to be true of ALL saddles) ... if you get a Brooks/-type saddle then start with the rails parallel to the ground ...
IMO, people who find BROOKS saddles to be uncomfortable EITHER have not adjusted the seatpost downward OR are masochistic & have the nose of their saddle higher than the rear.
Also, this will seem to be stating the obvious, but you will want to locate your sitbones on the rear of the saddle where it is widest rather than straddling the mid-section or nose.

glambx said:
Huh? It's going on a racing bike.. lol.
Well, until the mid-to-late-60s, almost ALL racing bikes used Brooks/-type leather saddles ...

Since fashion is apparently (more) important to you (than comfort), you can pony up for a BROOKS SWALLOW with TITANIUM RAILS ... still a bit on the porky side when compared to the latest and greatest.

FWIW. Without knowing what the precise shape & dimensions are of the "Vector Composite Seatpost" I was going to suggest a few DIY options ... but, I suspect(ed) you aren't/(wouldn't be) inclined ...

Not to ask the obvious question, but does "everywhere" that you looked include checking with a GIANT dealer?!?

alfeng said:
Well, until the mid-to-late-60s, almost ALL racing bikes used Brooks/-type leather saddles ...

Since fashion is apparently (more) important to you (than comfort), you can pony up for a BROOKS SWALLOW with TITANIUM RAILS ... still a bit on the porky side when compared to the latest and greatest.

FWIW. Without knowing what the precise shape & dimensions are of the "Vector Composite Seatpost" I was going to suggest a few DIY options ... but, I suspect(ed) you aren't/(wouldn't be) inclined ...

Not to ask the obvious question, but does "everywhere" that you looked include checking with a GIANT dealer?!?

Man, I appreciate the suggestions.. but do you work for Brooks? I mean, honestly .. an old school saddle like that on a carbon fiber frame? And $499 for the Swallow? I tell ya, someone's gotta be a nostalgic fool to pay that kind of money (or recreating a classic bike).

Both of my saddles are extremely comfortable (Planet Bike), but they're comfortable in different ways.

For long rides, I'm less aggressive, more upright, and spend much more time in the saddle. So I roll with the the 5020.

For mountain climbing and racing, I want something narrow so that it doesn't get in the way. The 5022 is outstanding.

And both are under $50.

Anyway, I searched Giant's web site for parts but they didn't seem to list the specific seatpost I was looking for. I'll have to give them a call.

glambx said:
I mean, honestly .. an old school saddle like that on a carbon fiber frame?
FWIW. Yes ... absolutely! I currently have a leather, Brooks-type (specifically, a LYCETT) leather saddle on my Carbon Fiber bike ... it's a matter of utility.

hi i saw ur note and u can use a bmc tt02 seapost in the giant as giant make this seatpost also which is exactly the same

Originally Posted by livestrong1972 .

hi i saw ur note and u can use a bmc tt02 seapost in the giant as giant make this seatpost also which is exactly the same

Thanks for the info! I'm still in need so I'll definitely check this out! :)

Originally Posted by livestrong1972 .

You're going to have to provide proof that the two seat posts are interchangeable.

Guess what I have? A new from warranty Giant Vector seatpost. Its from a TCR Advanced 3, but its the same on the Defy and has white in the front. Never Installed.

Just jumping in...you wouldn't be interested in selling that Giant Vector seatpost with the white front, would you? I'm looking for a replacement for my Giant Defy Advanced 1.

Thanks,

Jeff