Giant Alight City Or Move Up To The Alight 1? (or Am I Even On The Right Track?)

joyelyse

May 12, 2015
I recently picked up a used Giant Boulder for my 10 year old daughter's first adult bike. When I gave it a good test ride (She's tall like her dad, and I'm short.) I discovered that I liked it a lot better than my comfort bike. I've been riding her bike most days lately. When I bought my bike, I was fat, out of practice, and nervous. But that was years (and many pounds) ago. When I got back on it after riding my daughter's, it seemed boring and like work. I did a little research online and visited a bike shop today.

I sat in a few bikes, but my first test ride was on a Giant Rove 1. I liked that it was lighter than the Boulder, but the wheels felt "draggy." It didn't sing to me. They had the Giant Alight City in the XS I need (I said I'm short). I didn't want to come back from my ride. It was only when I realized I'd only put 40 minutes on the meter that I turned around. I took it up and down little hills and over some Boston area streets in need of repair. (Pot holes, cracks, and the like.). I had a bug dumb grin on my face the whole time. That's pretty much while I think I'll be doing, riding around suburbia for fun, maybe some bike trails. (It's hard to say because I haven't had a bike I've loved. I can't commute on it because I tutor in students' homes with a ton of materials filling my trunk. And I live a ways out, so mostly I'm heading out to enjoy myself.)

If I was that happy, do I need to visit upgrading to the Alight 1? The City is already an unplanned expense, though doable. They didn't have one in my size, at least not built, but I know they can get one for me in a few days. I was on such a high, sure I'd found my bike, I didn't ask. I'll call tomorrow, but I would also like to ask people without a vested interest in the upsell. ;) I mean, I feel great about this shop, but they are human.

Also, I guess I also need to figure out how much more looking I really should be doing. I went to one other shop while I was in town and saw the Cannondales, but I didn't get to ride. That wasn't helpful. Nothing built in my size. I'll probably go see a few of the Specialized offerings at a shop closer to home tomorrow.

I was pretty happy with the urban/commuter option. I liked the positioning. It was less upright than my comfort bike without feeling hunched. Will I regret that choice as well? Should I be looking in another direction?

Thanks. I know from other forms that answering noob questions can get repetitive and annoying. There is too much to learn here, and frankly I just want to make a good choice and go enjoy our long awaited spring. I don't see myself becoming a bike expert. (But if you want to talk kitchen remodeling or baby carriers, I'm your girl ;) )

OK, so I accidentally double posted. I'll put more info here.

I didn't like the Specialized Vitas. I can't put my finger on why. The bikes were very similar to the Giants. But Specializeds didn't ride as well for me, and I didn't get the same feeling. The shop put me on a few others, include a Trek, but there was no contest. I think I'm a Giant girl.

So now it's really just which Alight. I can get the Alight 1 for not much more than the city. That's the way I'm leaning. I trade the fenders, kick stand, rack, and bell for carbon composite fork, sightly higher end components, and flat resistant tires. I'm just not 100% if that's the way I should go. In the end, I'm going to need at last some of that, so I am going to end up spending quite a bit more on the bike. Othh, I don't want to be penny wise pound foolish. Are there the right upgrades?