giant and cytek bikes (australian)

phillip-8727

May 31, 2004
gidday
i am looking at buying a new road bike (already have alchemy with easton elite tubing, ultegra and mavic cosmic elites), but as i have a limited budget (casual worker, still in year 12) i have narrowed by choice down to a couple of bikes.
can annyone give me any any feedback on the quality of the giant tcr aluminium frames, i have heard that they are light and stiff. i am thinking of getting the giant tcr (ultegra) and upgrading the wheelset to Ksyrium Elites. my budget is around AU$3500 and have also spotted a great bike by cytek bikes (aus)-it has a great frame and everything i want
what do you think of this bike-http://www.beasleycycles.com.au/massimo.htm

any feedback on light, ultegra/centaur equiped bikes in this price range would be appreciated
thanks
and if anyone is selling a bike for this price in brisbane, qld
i would like to hear from you

That's a lot of money! I'd tend not to spend so much on an aluminium bike because I've cracked two of them; an Evolution and a Specialiazed Allez Comp. I know they have warranties, but I still don't like spending top dollar on something that probably won't last ten years.

Why are you buying another bike? Maybe you could buy an awesome frame, like a Scapin, and swap your running gear over?

The TCRs are quite light, I recently weighed a size "large" (56cm) at ~1350g: frame only. I know a guy who cracked 3 of them; he's probably about 83kg.

For that money you could probably get a very good 2nd hand carbon Giant -- if you like Giants. Here in Melbourne we have a fantastic 2nd shop that occasionally sells bikes interstate, and they have about four Giants at the moment, two of which are black and red carbons. They have a yellow and black TCR, frame only, for $400.

I dunno, it just seems like a lot of money to spend on an aluminium bike.

A friend of mine was looking at Ultegra epuiped bikes, and most were around $2800 (Aus), that included the Trek 1500 and the Specialized something. The Cyteks look ok too. I don't think you should have to spend more than $3000 for an Ultegra equiped bike, but I suppose the Cytek gives you Ksyriums, Columbus Airplane tubing, and an all-carbon fork.

yeah, i see what you mean nutbag, i am going to look around for a 2nd hand giant carbon such as the 2003 carbon frame with ultegra. i love the look of the giant carbon bikes, and i would love to have one. i am also going to go to my LBS and see if they have any older giant frames lying around, and if so i'll kit it up with centaur and ksyrium elites. i get a good dicount at my LBS-(15%) and more when you pay in cash for big purchases. so i should be able to get alot for my dollar that way.

nutbag, so the shop in melbourne has to of the black and red giant carbon frames, seeling as whole bikes. that is the exact frame i am loooking for up here in brisbane

nutbag, my running gear is about 3 years old i have no warrantly on it, and i think it is due for a upgrade
and i caculated that selling my bike and buying a new or 2nd hand bike would cost me less than upgrading the frame and other buts and pieces.
i also think it would be hard to sell my frame for a decent price as opposed to selling the hole bike

Originally posted by phillip-8727
nutbag, so the shop in melbourne has to of the black and red giant carbon frames, seeling as whole bikes. that is the exact frame i am loooking for up here in brisbane

Yeah, give them a ring: Bicycle Recycle 03 9555 8692

Originally posted by phillip-8727
i caculated that selling my bike and buying a new or 2nd hand bike would cost me less than upgrading the frame and other buts and pieces. i also think it would be hard to sell my frame for a decent price as opposed to selling the hole bike

No, don't sell your old stuff, it's hardly worth it -- just keep it, it's good to have spare parts lying around. The only time it's worth selling stuff is when it's virtually brand new, otherwise you're lucky to get half your money back.

I know another guy who bought a carbon Team ONCE Gaint for $4500 with Ksyriums; it was brand new, but an old model. If you hunt around for a 2002 or 2003 model, you never know.....

thanks alot for the number, that what i am looking for so ill have a look around and see what i can find