Giant Bikes

Aussie Steve said:
I have two Giants, one is a 1998 Peleton with 7 spd RSX groupset, alloy frame & steel forks, the other is OCR1, alloy frame,Shimano 105, carbon-fibre forks (Americans- note the correct spelling of "fibre")...
the latter bike is a fair bit lighter than the former, however up hills is markedly slower, possibly due to the c-f forks absorbing too much effort and damping it, thus reducing power to back wheel...it's annoying 'cos I prefer the OCR1.
Although overall, I don't really like Giants but they were priced right at the time...
Any comments?

I have an ocr 1(probably the same one you do) and i like it alot. Although i have ridden more expensive cf and ti bicycles which i found i like alot more, i can not afford either of those and find that giant has given me a reliable bicycle that can keep up with bicycles costing alot more(its the rider that really counts).
On another note im quite sure that your decreased speed uphills has little to do with the carbon fiber (no, its correctly spelled) forks.

DiabloScott said:
That is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. Right up there with Jabberwocky.
you're fkn at it again?!! You're a rude *****!

Aussie Steve said:
I have two Giants, one is a 1998 Peleton with 7 spd RSX groupset, alloy frame & steel forks, the other is OCR1, alloy frame,Shimano 105, carbon-fibre forks (Americans- note the correct spelling of "fibre")...
the latter bike is a fair bit lighter than the former, however up hills is markedly slower, possibly due to the c-f forks absorbing too much effort and damping it, thus reducing power to back wheel...it's annoying 'cos I prefer the OCR1.
Although overall, I don't really like Giants but they were priced right at the time...
Any comments?
Well ... if you REALLY think the fork is bad (you do know there was a recall on Giant forks about 3-or-4 years ago, don't you?), then replace the fork ...

FWIW. I doubt the fork is the problem ... what about your rear hub?

Check your spoke tension, too -- a wheel with lateral flex may be rubbing against the brake pads! Squeeze your spokes (i.e., grab a crossed pair) and see if THAT pulls the wheel far enough to pull them into (or, near!) your brake pads ... if so, adjust your brake pads OR spoke tension OR consider getting another rear wheel.

What about your BB?

FWIW2. I think that Kestrel forks are still the standard against which other forks can be judged as far as ride quality if you do go shopping for a new one ... use the OLD Kestrel fork as a benchmark for price, if nothing else.

Aussie Steve said:
Carbon Fibre forks....
I think I said this elsewhere: forks are everything! :)

My guess is you must be climbing off the saddle, with your weight towards the bars, and you're notice a lot of lateral flex? I recently ditched 2 forks (full carbon Mizuno and an Easton EC70) for this reason. I'm not sure about your actual speed, but a flexy bike, even when the flex is coming from the fork, can sure make a bike feel slower

531Aussie said:
you're fkn at it again?!! You're a rude *****!

You're wrong!

I have low tolerance for nonsense, but am otherwise polite and genial.

I answer a lot of questions and have helped a lot of posters. It disturbs me that so many people coming into this sport waste their money on ridiculous "technology" and repeat BS from advertisements. So the idea that a carbon fiber fork could "dampen effort and reduce power to the rear wheel" was something that I just had to call out as nonsense because some gullible newb might have believed it (and repeated it) had I not done so.

I'm pretty sure Aussie Steve and I have had meaningful, courteous discussions in other threads... even though he cuts deep with that "correct spelling of fibre" comment. (Americans take note of correct pronunciation of "CABBIN FOIBBA")