Giant Bikes

Aussie Steve

Nov 8, 2005
I have two Giants, one is a 1998 Peleton with 7 spd RSX groupset, alloy frame & steel forks, the other is OCR1, alloy frame,Shimano 105, carbon-fibre forks (Americans- note the correct spelling of "fibre")...
the latter bike is a fair bit lighter than the former, however up hills is markedly slower, possibly due to the c-f forks absorbing too much effort and damping it, thus reducing power to back wheel...it's annoying 'cos I prefer the OCR1.
Although overall, I don't really like Giants but they were priced right at the time...
Any comments?

I'm a medium/fast rec rider and I have one Giant, my first purchased road bike, an '04 OCR3 (I have an '83 Trek 500 Sport that I've been reconditioning). I like the frame since I'm short armed and legged and the compact frame fits well. I've put one season on it without any issues. Granted, part of the reason for the purchase was the price, but mainly it was the frame. I really had no ideas about the brake/shifter system, so getting a Sora system meant little to me. Now though I have purchased all new 105 drivetrain to rebuild with (price and fit). The Sora system worked well for a newbie (still am!) but now that I have ridden with others who have better equipment, I understand the differences a little better. I'm not sure though that I really like the composite fork. There's a lot of vibration. On my older mountain/street (rebuilt Trek also) bike which is all steel the ride is actually smoother, albeit much heavier. But overall once I got used to the type of riding (drop bars and skinny tires) I really enjoy the rides. Note also that part of the ride issues is that I ride on the city streets, which are not very forgiving.

kevinh01

Aussie Steve said:
I have two Giants, one is a 1998 Peleton with 7 spd RSX groupset, alloy frame & steel forks, the other is OCR1, alloy frame,Shimano 105, carbon-fibre forks (Americans- note the correct spelling of "fibre")...
the latter bike is a fair bit lighter than the former, however up hills is markedly slower, possibly due to the c-f forks absorbing too much effort and damping it, thus reducing power to back wheel...it's annoying 'cos I prefer the OCR1.
Although overall, I don't really like Giants but they were priced right at the time...
Any comments?

I put about 2000 miles on a 2004 Giant OCR2 with Tiagra shifters and Sora hubs. I'm basically an old guy who likes riding for fitness and fun. I'm also, what I consider, a savvy consumer. I researched bikes and equipment before I purchased anything and the Giant made my short list as having the best bang for the buck. I saw it as having a good mix of moderately-priced componenets where it matters and low-priced where it didn't.

I've since moved on into a full-custom carbon fiber bicycle. If I were to go to a lower-priced bike again I would consider the kind of riding I do to determine the brands of bikes I would look at, then compare them based on more sophisticated factors such as frame geometry. I would also look at choices for wheels and drivetrain, knowing that the big bike makers use a mix of components rather than using one group.

I realize, as well, that people develop an emotional attachment to their machines and lose a bit of objectivity. Each manufacturer tries to distinguish themselves from the others so they use a lot of marketing terms. It's not so much a difference in quality but differences in basic engineering and marketing decisions made to determine the types and geometries of the bikes they sell. Look at a bike based on price, knowing that in a particular price-range there is only a very small difference in quality, per se. What differs most is the type of bike it is. In this case I mean the differences between racing and commuting, fast recrational and fun riding. These four basic categories are regularly realized on a basic diamond frame.

Bling factors and eye candy make up the marketing differences between different bikes as far as I am concerned now. Things I look at are the quality and reliabilty of the shifting, since that makes or breaks how easy it is to shift gears. I look at the strength of the wheels since I am not a racer and don't want super-light wheels that sacrifice durability. One thing that also makes a huge difference is the saddle you put on a bike. No high-end bike is enjoyable to ride if you are on a saddle that causes you pain. A beater bike with a comfy saddle feels better than an expensive bike with a saddle that feels like a rock.

I too have an '04 model Giant OCR3 (Aussie model with an aluminium fork instead of a carbon fibre fork) which I am happy with. Its a nice looking, solid bike with "entry level" components. I've done 3500km on this bike since the start of this year when I bought it and I've really only had to replace the brake pads. I bought it for $750 (heavily discounted end-of-year sale.... I am a uni student).

I think the thing about "entry level" road components is that they are still very good compared to say, "entry level" mountain bike components. There aren't really any road bikes that go for less that $1000 RRP because of this.

Giant's are great bikes in my opinion. They don't have any "bling" factor really, but who really cares what you ride, as long as it doesn't break and feels comfortable for you.

it's annoying 'cos I prefer the OCR1.

cos? what is this word? do you mean the english word "because"

Look in your own backyard Aussie Steve

He He fool

MPCRUSHER said:
it's annoying 'cos I prefer the OCR1.

cos? what is this word? do you mean the english word "because"

Look in your own backyard Aussie Steve

He He fool
Unusual for him to shorten words considering his dislike for people in Western Australia shortening the name of towns/suburbs.

i likes me OCR1.
got it off ebay - all fitted the criteria that i was looking for and the price was tops for only 500kms on the clock. the fact that it was Ultegra all round was a big plus too.
okay, so it's my first road bike and my only previous experience was a hybrid Avanti, but damn, i like riding it!

and it's spelt "coz"...

Aussie Steve said:
up hills is markedly slower, possibly due to the c-f forks absorbing too much effort and damping it, thus reducing power to back wheel...
Any comments?

That is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. Right up there with Jabberwocky.

I just bought a 07' OCR1. So far I like it. I am 6'3" and mostly leg and the bike fit me pretty good. I changed the stem and it fit even better.

I'm a newbie, so I don't notice going slower on the hills, it's faster than my trail bike.;)

DiabloScott said:
That is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. Right up there with Jabberwocky.
Whilst i wouldn't quite put it that way, generally i'd have to agree...
Correct me if i'm wrong, you didn't tell us what year your OCR1 is, "because" when you said c-f forks, did you mean stays? Like the '05 OCR1.
My TCR has both carbon rear stays and forks, i honestly don't feel any power loss through either.
Perhaps the power loss is coming from the pedals :D

Aussie Steve said:
....... the other is OCR1, alloy frame,Shimano 105, carbon-fibre forks (Americans- note the correct spelling of "fibre")... the latter bike is a fair bit lighter than the former, however up hills is markedly slower...... Any comments?
Yes, what is the gearing on the bike, Chain Rings and Cassette. Which hills?

Carbon Fibre forks. Mine is a late 2002 model....no carbon stays, they is aluminium. The damping- let me explain in simple terms. When I am going uphill, I usually try to drive against the handlebars, i.e. I brace against the bars. My other Giant with the Cro-Moly forks is quicker up the same hills. Easier to achieve and maintain a certain speed. I imagine the forks are guilty of absorbing some of the effort. Any engineers out there?:confused:
Gearing- OCR1 chainrings 39/53 Cassette 12-25 (9 sp)
Peleton C-Rings 39/53 Cassette 12-21 (7 sp)

Hills- any hill I have ever ridden up? :D
how about Reabold Hill....and West Coast Highway near Swanbourne....also the hill on WC Hwy from Karrinyup Rd heading south...

I wonder if you are falling victim to the missing teeth?
The 12-25 has no 16t or 18t, the 7 speed may just have that sweet gear you need!

I had problems on Mounts Bay Road, UWA to Barrack St easterly winds, and Mt lawley (Station) bike path, I was missing the 16t on one and the 18t on the other (42t chainring) I bought a 13-23 cassette and now am much faster in both locations. :D Do you want to try my cassette on a hill? We can try up the little one from East St Maylands (Yacht Club) up to Guildford Road.

I wasn't aware of any obvious mis-matched or missing cogs...have done thousands of k's on the OCR1 and have never searched for an in-between cog, always been happy with the spread and selection of gears...:cool: but then again, after lots of k's with a 7 speeder, having 2 more was a huge bonus :) :D
I couldn't go with a 13T, I would run out of legs, I need the top end of a 12T.
Although I am no Michael Rogers or even Hilton McMurdo, I couldn't enjoy a 13T.
Last week I took off from the lights behind a large semi and we got up to 60.6 on the flat with almost no effort :D :D
Thanks for the offer anyways....
p.s. did you notice my amended signature, I think it's time I stopped offending Perth riders :eek: after all, we are all in the Brotherhood !!:D

gclark8 said:
I wonder if you are falling victim to the missing teeth?
The 12-25 has no 16t or 18t, the 7 speed may just have that sweet gear you need!

I had problems on Mounts Bay Road, UWA to Barrack St easterly winds, and Mt lawley (Station) bike path,

The Mt Lawley bike path :confused: :confused: what hills are there apart from that tiny one under the pedestrian overpass adjacent to a train station. It ain't a hill...:p Paris Hilton has bigger bumps on her chest !!!:D :cool: ;)

Aussie Steve,

I'm assuming you are using the same shoes on both bikes.

I doubt that the forkes are going to make any significant difference. The rear of the frame is more likely to make a difference.

What about the geometry of the bikes, perhaps one suits better than the other? If you feel sweet, you ride better.

Aussie Steve said:
Carbon Fibre forks. Mine is a late 2002 model....no carbon stays, they is aluminium. The damping- let me explain in simple terms. When I am going uphill, I usually try to drive against the handlebars, i.e. I brace against the bars. My other Giant with the Cro-Moly forks is quicker up the same hills. Easier to achieve and maintain a certain speed. I imagine the forks are guilty of absorbing some of the effort. Any engineers out there?:confused:
Gearing- OCR1 chainrings 39/53 Cassette 12-25 (9 sp)
Peleton C-Rings 39/53 Cassette 12-21 (7 sp)

Hills- any hill I have ever ridden up? :D
how about Reabold Hill....and West Coast Highway near Swanbourne....also the hill on WC Hwy from Karrinyup Rd heading south...
Steve, I ride west coast highway a lot. Do you live near City beach area.

Aussie Steve said:
gclark8 said:
The Mt Lawley bike path :confused: :confused: what hills are there apart from that tiny one under the pedestrian overpass adjacent to a train station. It ain't a hill...:p Paris Hilton has bigger bumps on her chest !!!:D :cool: ;)
After, sprinting (50min) from Baso to UWA, 2.k+ (1hr) in the pool, the ride home into the wind takes on a new meaning around Mt Lawley! I never was a *** man! :eek: I just love my 13-23, cadence 90-100. :)

dougadam said:
Giant is ok, but I prefer Specialized.
Ah, a post I can agree with! Yes, love Specialized. Thing is I thought it looked strange and mis-shapen, before I rode it. Now I just prefer to look at it from the saddle instead.

Giant are excellent value as well though, good components at bargain basement prices.