giant cadex road bike??

syrus_82

New Member
Aug 3, 2003
i am thinking about buying a second hand giant cadex, and i was wondering how it rates as a bike. i am looking at using it mainly for triathlons. if anyone could help it would be much appreciated

According to a writer in Ride magazine, the Giant Cadex is an extremely comfortable bike (the "most comfortable bike he had ever ridden") but also the most sluggish feeling. I think that the tubing has quite a bit of flex in it, meaning that it isn't all that nippy and responsive. It really depends on what your taste is in a bike frame- if you desire a comfortable bike, then a Cadex could well be for you. If you want to 'feel' fast, than a stiffer frame could be what you're after. :)

Etxy <[email protected]> wrote:

> According to a writer in Ride magazine, the Giant Cadex is an extremely comfortable bike (the
> "most comfortable bike he had ever ridden") but also the most sluggish feeling. I think that the
> tubing has quite a bit of flex in it, meaning that it isn't all that nippy and responsive. It
> really depends on what your taste is in a bike frame- if you desire a comfortable bike, then a
> Cadex could well be for you. If you want to 'feel' fast, than a stiffer frame could be what you're
> after. :)

Squishy frame is probably what u want for a triathlon. Its no like triathletes sprint or do attacks.
They tend to grind along at the same speed.

Originally posted by Gary K
Etxy <[email protected]> wrote:

> According to a writer in Ride magazine, the Giant Cadex is an extremely comfortable bike (the
> "most comfortable bike he had ever ridden") but also the most sluggish feeling. I think that the
> tubing has quite a bit of flex in it, meaning that it isn't all that nippy and responsive. It
> really depends on what your taste is in a bike frame- if you desire a comfortable bike, then a
> Cadex could well be for you. If you want to 'feel' fast, than a stiffer frame could be what you're
> after. :)

Squishy frame is probably what u want for a triathlon. Its no like triathletes sprint or do attacks.
They tend to grind along at the same speed.

Assuming the Cadex is carbon fibre, that would hardly be surprising about the flex of the tubing.
Carbon bikes can have a fairly firm ride, it is just that the way it soaks up the bumps and
peddling energy is different to steel or alloy. Once you have tried it and like the ride, you will
never go back.

[email protected] (Gary K) wrote in message
news:<1fz4sp1.1j7y87nafy26uN%[email protected]>...
> Etxy <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > According to a writer in Ride magazine, the Giant Cadex is an extremely comfortable bike (the
> > "most comfortable bike he had ever ridden") but also the most sluggish feeling. I think that the
> > tubing has quite a bit of flex in it, meaning that it isn't all that nippy and responsive. It
> > really depends on what your taste is in a bike frame- if you desire a comfortable bike, then a
> > Cadex could well be for you. If you want to 'feel' fast, than a stiffer frame could be what
> > you're after. :)
>
> Squishy frame is probably what u want for a triathlon. Its no like triathletes sprint or do
> attacks. They tend to grind along at the same speed.

I have one, and went back to Columbus steel (Zona), its much stiffer & good for this sprinter.
Though the carbon frame seems more absorbent, it is only the pedalling power and road noise it
absorbs. Because on some of the coarse chip roads that rattle my hands and bum to near numbness on
my Zona, the carbon bike feels *exactly* the same, same rattled hands, same jaring in the butt.
Carbon frames aren't any more comfortable. Maybe the muffled road noise gives the illusion? Love the
direct power transfer on my Zona steel though, instant acceleration.

redbears <[email protected]> wrote:

> Assuming the Cadex is carbon fibre, that would hardly be surprising about the flex of the tubing.
> Carbon bikes can have a fairly firm ride, it is just that the way it soaks up the bumps and
> peddling energy is different to steel or alloy. Once you have tried it and like the ride, you will
> never go back.
>
> [email protected] (Gary K) wrote in message
> > Etxy <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > According to a writer in Ride magazine, the Giant Cadex is an extremely comfortable bike (the
> > > "most comfortable bike he had ever ridden") but also the most sluggish feeling. I think that
> > > the tubing has quite a bit of flex in it, meaning that it isn't all that nippy and responsive.
> > > It really depends on what your taste is in a bike frame- if you desire a comfortable bike,
> > > then a Cadex could well be for you. If you want to 'feel' fast, than a stiffer frame could be
> > > what you're after. :)
> >
> > Squishy frame is probably what u want for a triathlon. Its no like triathletes sprint or do
> > attacks. They tend to grind along at the same speed.

One other thing, I was looking from an MTB perspective as well..

news:<1fz7urz.1d9mu1xns256qN%[email protected]>...