Giant CFM 4?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by asahitoro, Feb 26, 2003.

  1. asahitoro

    asahitoro Guest

    Is anyone familiar with this 95'-96' bike? Is the headset 1" or 1 1/18"? Threaded or not? I can't
    find any tech info anywhere on it and Giant didn't have much info either. Is it a decent frame
    compared to today's standards? I'm considering a little upgrading to make it a worthy 2nd/beater
    bike. Thanks for any help,

    Scott

    Tags:

  2. Bcs

    Bcs Guest

    > Is anyone familiar with this 95'-96' bike?

    Yes, I owned a '93 Cadex CFM-1 until 2000. The frame felt very balanced, and incredibly fast. All of
    the tubes are carbon fiber bonded to aluminum lugs. The rear dropouts bolt on, so you can easily
    fabricate single speed dropouts, and just swap 'em in without permanently altering the bike. I built
    up a single speed "Frankenbike" cruiser like this a few years ago. It was pretty sweet.

    > Is the headset 1" or 1 1/18"? Threaded or not?

    The headtube is for 1 1/8" steerers. It can be threaded or unthreaded depending on your choice of
    headset. Ask the seller which it is.

    > Is it a decent frame compared to today's standards?

    The CFM is on of my all-time favorite hardtails. I've owned a Merlin, Kona Hei Hei, WTB Ti, three
    Klein Attitudes, Specialized M2, Voodoo Bizango and many more. The Cadex wasn't the lightest; but it
    felt "right".

    However, the CFM frames were designed before long-travel forks happened. The geometry is not
    adjusted for 3" to 5" travel forks. Use a short-travel fork, or you'll notice the wheel flop and
    slackened geometry.

    Also, the top tube is a little bit short, compared to today's bikes. I got used to it; but it's
    something to be aware of.

    > I'm considering a little upgrading to make it a worthy 2nd/beater bike. Thanks for any help,

    It doesn't have any braze-ons for racks or fenders; but would be a great 2nd bike. Heck, if you
    don't want it, let me know where I can buy it. (seriously)

    -Barry