Giant CFM 4?

asahitoro

Guest
Is anyone familiar with this 95'-96' bike? Is the headset 1" or 1 1/18"? Threaded or not? I can't
find any tech info anywhere on it and Giant didn't have much info either. Is it a decent frame
compared to today's standards? I'm considering a little upgrading to make it a worthy 2nd/beater
bike. Thanks for any help,

Scott

> Is anyone familiar with this 95'-96' bike?

Yes, I owned a '93 Cadex CFM-1 until 2000. The frame felt very balanced, and incredibly fast. All of
the tubes are carbon fiber bonded to aluminum lugs. The rear dropouts bolt on, so you can easily
fabricate single speed dropouts, and just swap 'em in without permanently altering the bike. I built
up a single speed "Frankenbike" cruiser like this a few years ago. It was pretty sweet.

> Is the headset 1" or 1 1/18"? Threaded or not?

The headtube is for 1 1/8" steerers. It can be threaded or unthreaded depending on your choice of
headset. Ask the seller which it is.

> Is it a decent frame compared to today's standards?

The CFM is on of my all-time favorite hardtails. I've owned a Merlin, Kona Hei Hei, WTB Ti, three
Klein Attitudes, Specialized M2, Voodoo Bizango and many more. The Cadex wasn't the lightest; but it
felt "right".

However, the CFM frames were designed before long-travel forks happened. The geometry is not
adjusted for 3" to 5" travel forks. Use a short-travel fork, or you'll notice the wheel flop and
slackened geometry.

Also, the top tube is a little bit short, compared to today's bikes. I got used to it; but it's
something to be aware of.

> I'm considering a little upgrading to make it a worthy 2nd/beater bike. Thanks for any help,

It doesn't have any braze-ons for racks or fenders; but would be a great 2nd bike. Heck, if you
don't want it, let me know where I can buy it. (seriously)

-Barry