Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Giant CRX-1 questions

Started by solcycle · · Last activity · 5 posts · 2,415 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
14 May 2007
Last activity
15 May 2007
Original author
solcycle
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,415
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. [font=Comic Sans MS]Hi all,[/font]
    [font=Comic Sans MS]New here, I have some questions maybe someone can help with. I have just purchased a Giant CXR-1 (2006 Model) and I am thinking of put on my Ritchey drop bars with Dura-Ace bar end shifters (friction shifting - no problems with indexing - just old fashioned I guess). [/font][font=Comic Sans MS]I am probably going to change the v-brakes to Tektro Oryx cantilevers as I have heard these are aero lever compatible. With the extra tyre clearance I may be able to get some guards on it! Sort of a cyclocross/fast commuter/country road convert! I bought it new as a sellout at a ridiculously cheap price that I couldn't pass up but I already have a steel Giant flatbar roadie so this will replace my other drop bar bike.[/font]

    1. Has anyone done this kind of conversion?
    2. What are the Tektro Oryx cantis like with road levers?
    3. Am I looking at this far to simplistically?

    Cheers, John
    Australia
    :eek:

  2. Everything should be fine as you have it planned:

    The shifters are probably the main concern, and you have addressed it with bar ends.

    You don't need to change your brake calipers unless you want to. ROAD levers work fine if you use a TRAVEL AGENT for the front V-brake ... cantilever brakes were originally designed to be used with ROAD levers.

    I have found that a rear V-brake is fine (that is, "good enough" ... no modulation, but you're not getting much on the rear, anyway) without a travel agent when using a ROAD brake lever (actually, an Ultegra 6500 STI brake-shift lever).

  3. The CRX 1 uses Mini-V-Brakes, these are fine with all Shimano Road Brake Levers, STI or Flat Bar. 😉 On the CRX2/4 Giant have already fitted a Power Modulator to the end of the front cable, it should be the same for the CRX1.

  4. gclark8 said:

    The CRX 1 uses Mini-V-Brakes, these are fine with all Shimano Road Brake Levers, STI or Flat Bar. 😉 On the CRX2/4 Giant have already fitted a Power Modulator to the end of the front cable, it should be the same for the CRX1.

    THAT's good to know!

  5. Thanks for the info - if I don't have to change the mini v-brakes that will make me even happier as I think v-brakes are a little easier to set up properly then cantis.

    Thanks again
    John

    🙂

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.