Giant CYPRESS® SX for commuting on bike paths?

DT

Guest
I had thought my research was done and the CYPRESS® SX was the perfect bike
for me: one who commutes daily 35km via bike paths. This was until I went
to the dealer where I was told the CYPRESS® SX rear wheel would
disintegrate under the load of two pannier packs. They said I would be
better off with a touring bike.

Any thoughts?

---

"DT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> I had thought my research was done and the CYPRESS® SX was the perfect

bike
> for me: one who commutes daily 35km via bike paths. This was until I went
> to the dealer where I was told the CYPRESS® SX rear wheel would
> disintegrate under the load of two pannier packs. They said I would be
> better off with a touring bike.
>
> Any thoughts?

A cheap quality, poorly built wheel may disintegrate under the load of a
rider alone, but a good wheel is unlikely to disintegrate on reasonable
surfaces even with the additional load of two panniers. How much do you
intend carrying on a commute?

Rich

DT wrote:
> I had thought my research was done and the CYPRESS® SX was the
> perfect bike for me: one who commutes daily 35km via bike paths. This
> was until I went to the dealer where I was told the CYPRESS® SX rear
> wheel would disintegrate under the load of two pannier packs. They
> said I would be better off with a touring bike.

Perhaps it might disintegrate on hitting a pothole when fully loaded but
you could easily have another rear wheel built for every-day use and save
the racy one for special occasions or as a spare. Rest of bike is
probably strong enough. The frame will limit tyre width, though.

~PB

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 01:31:01 GMT, "DT" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I had thought my research was done and the CYPRESS® SX was the perfect bike
>for me: one who commutes daily 35km via bike paths. This was until I went
>to the dealer where I was told the CYPRESS® SX rear wheel would
>disintegrate under the load of two pannier packs. They said I would be
>better off with a touring bike.
>
>Any thoughts?

Just that a touring bike would come with mudguards and a pannier rack
fitted, unlike the Giant. I wouldn't want to commute on a bike
without mudguards. Will the Giant frame allow for fitting guards?
I think tourers are the ideal commuter bike but YMMV.

--
Best regards
Richard

http://www.ceresgames.co.uk/