Giant CYPRESS® SX for commuting on bike paths?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by DT, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. DT

    DT Guest

    I had thought my research was done and the CYPRESS® SX was the perfect bike
    for me: one who commutes daily 35km via bike paths. This was until I went
    to the dealer where I was told the CYPRESS® SX rear wheel would
    disintegrate under the load of two pannier packs. They said I would be
    better off with a touring bike.

    Any thoughts?

    ---

  2. "DT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > I had thought my research was done and the CYPRESS® SX was the perfect

    bike
    > for me: one who commutes daily 35km via bike paths. This was until I went
    > to the dealer where I was told the CYPRESS® SX rear wheel would
    > disintegrate under the load of two pannier packs. They said I would be
    > better off with a touring bike.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    A cheap quality, poorly built wheel may disintegrate under the load of a
    rider alone, but a good wheel is unlikely to disintegrate on reasonable
    surfaces even with the additional load of two panniers. How much do you
    intend carrying on a commute?

    Rich

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    DT wrote:
    > I had thought my research was done and the CYPRESS® SX was the
    > perfect bike for me: one who commutes daily 35km via bike paths. This
    > was until I went to the dealer where I was told the CYPRESS® SX rear
    > wheel would disintegrate under the load of two pannier packs. They
    > said I would be better off with a touring bike.

    Perhaps it might disintegrate on hitting a pothole when fully loaded but
    you could easily have another rear wheel built for every-day use and save
    the racy one for special occasions or as a spare. Rest of bike is
    probably strong enough. The frame will limit tyre width, though.

    ~PB

  4. On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 01:31:01 GMT, "DT" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I had thought my research was done and the CYPRESS® SX was the perfect bike
    >for me: one who commutes daily 35km via bike paths. This was until I went
    >to the dealer where I was told the CYPRESS® SX rear wheel would
    >disintegrate under the load of two pannier packs. They said I would be
    >better off with a touring bike.
    >
    >Any thoughts?

    Just that a touring bike would come with mudguards and a pannier rack
    fitted, unlike the Giant. I wouldn't want to commute on a bike
    without mudguards. Will the Giant frame allow for fitting guards?
    I think tourers are the ideal commuter bike but YMMV.

    --
    Best regards
    Richard

    http://www.ceresgames.co.uk/