Giant Cypress bicycle

mali

Jun 1, 2003
hi everyone can anyone tell me if you have any experience on this mountain bike - Giant Cypress??
thanks a lot

I own the LX model, but I upgraded nearly all the components - the frame is solid though, and the manitou fork is midrange, but fine for my purposes (loaded touring on 'gravel at worst' roads)

Ohh and the Cypress really isn't a 'Mountain Bike'. It's a hybrid with 700c tires that are really built for road comfort, with LIGHT trail work (more like fire-roads).

Plus the 'stock' gearing is much too high for a mountain bike.

[thanks a lot coolworx, I am a novice in this cycling business, but eager to learn. What exactly means a hybrid? I thought it was a mountain bike (zeal without knowldge of begginers)
I went riding on it this morning for the first time, and was shocked at how different the gears are from a mountain bike I had. It felt harder in the same gears I used to ride on the other bike. But I am happy with the weight of it, and I hope to ride lots with it.
Thanks again for your help.

A hybrid is somewhat in-between a road bike and mountain bike. Around here (Melbourne, Aust.) they seem to be a popular choice for commuting.

It typically has 700c road bike type wheels (with higher than average tyre clearance for wide tyres), but has flat handlebars and an upright riding position that's somewhat similar to a mountain bike.

If a particular hybrid has suspension, it's typically tuned and designed more for rider comfort than being able to tackle dodgy off-road terrain.

thanks a lot rek, I am in South Africa, and not many commute by bike here, I am using it to exercise in the mornings early.

Rek:
A hybrid is somewhat in-between a road bike and mountain bike.

Ya really think so Rek? I think it's just a road bike with a front suspension, MTB handlebars, and the fork/dropout clearance for wider tires.

Even if you slap on knobbies, the frame geometries suck for any serious off-road adventures.

But it does make for a swift touring bike for those of us who dislike dropbars.

I think we're both talking about the same idea, from a different angle :) They're a bit from the road and a bit from mountain.

Ya maybe, I just don't want Mali thinking that a Cypress will act like a hardtail MTB.

It's more of a tourer/campsite bike - not a mudder.

BTW, have enjoyed perusing your postings... have picked up alot from ya.

I noticed your reference to the 700c tires on light trails. I am considering a Cypress and am realing looking forward to a more road fiendly tire than the mountain bike treads I currently ride on. My concern is how they will handle on dirt roads. I don't want to get something that will be to squirrelly. Any Advise?

Originally posted by coolworx
I own the LX model, but I upgraded nearly all the components - the frame is solid though, and the manitou fork is midrange, but fine for my purposes (loaded touring on 'gravel at worst' roads)

Ohh and the Cypress really isn't a 'Mountain Bike'. It's a hybrid with 700c tires that are really built for road comfort, with LIGHT trail work (more like fire-roads).

Plus the 'stock' gearing is much too high for a mountain bike.

I have a Cypress (2002 Cypress 6061 ali- bottom of the line) with no suspension fork (thankfully!). I ride it at least five a day, more like 20 and it has performed without error. It climbs without standing, it is light and fast (for 700x35c tires) and very comfortable. I have had it in places that it should not have been and it has done well- fire trails and hard-pack are cake for it. I have had it on switchbacks and I don't loose traction (34 tooth granny gear is cool!) and it takes bounces well- I would not get one if you want a mountian bake, but if your normal riding is road that sometimes encounters a trail, then it will do. In fact, I just ordered the SL- with is the flat-bar road bike with the same geometry.
If your riding is more likely then not to see equal amounts of road and trail- take a look at the Bianchi Axis (for $900 bucks more) or the Volpe (steel frame and less money) - these are cyclocross bikes...another ******* child of the road bike, having drop bars and wide (35) nobbier tires for the dirt...If you can only have one bike, this is a good option (called a cyclo-cross).
Cheers