Giant cypress dx vs Norco monterey

confused buyer

Jun 17, 2011
I'm looking to buy a bike and have it narrowed down to The 2010 Giant Cypress DX and I think a 2009 Norco Monterey. I say I think because the dealer says it's a 2010 but it's orange and silver and on the net I can't find an orange 2010.
I would like to know if anyone has some advice on these bikes. Some of the things that are a plus for me on the Norco are the deore derailleur and the disk brakes although I don't think I really need them for what I do v brakes would do. On the Giant side is the fork shocks and I think a little more confortable seat.
My biggest problem is that I can't find any reviews on the Norco where there is quite a few good reviews for the Giant. I would appreciate greatly some advice. My driving is 99% of the time on paved or chipsealed roads that are a little bumpyat times.
I thank you in advance for taking the time to read my posting.

I'm in the same place. The Cypress DX is on my short list along with the Trek 7300 and possibly the Specialized Crossroads Elite. The Giant looks very promising although I haven't had an opportunity to go for a test ride yet. Do you or other forum members know if the Giant (or Trek for that matter) will accommodate a high rise handlebar (like the Giant Suede)? Leaning over causes my hands to go numb and now I have a bad shoulder.

I don`t know if the giant can accomodate different handle bars but the handle bar stem is ajustable for a more upright position.

I had the stem raised and angled forward on a Trek 7000 series during my test ride. Helped a lot but I was still leaning forward a bit. That's why I'm wondering about the high rise handlebars (The cypress has a mid rise). I had not heard of Norco as they have no dealers in Virginia. But they look pretty good. How did you narrow your search to the Giant and Norco? In my case, the Giant bike dealer is not quite as conveniently located as the Trek dealer so there will have to be some sort of noticeable advantage to the Giant for me to select it over the Trek. I really like some of the feet forward models (like the Trek Pure. I haven't tested a Giant Suede) as they are comfortable like beach crusers but they all have fat tires and are slow. I'm probably going to ride mostly solo but for sure I won't be able to keep up with others on a fat tire bike. So a hybrid still looks best.