GIANT DEFY 2 (2011) vs DEFY 3 (2014)

Ali Subity

Sep 11, 2013
I need to know which one is better so if the Defy 3 is better I could negotiate with the shop over the Defy 2. the Defy 3 is 50 euro more expensive. Defy 2 Frame Defy AluxX SL aluminum, Fluid Formed technology, Compact Road Design Fork Defy Advanced-Grade Composite, Alloy OverDrive Steerer 11/8 "~ 11/4" Rear Shock Lack COMPONENTS Steering wheel GIANT Connect Stem GIANT Sports Seatpost GIANT Sports Saddle GIANT Defy Pedals WELLGO with toes DRIVE Shifters Shimano Sora 27-speed Front derailleur Shimano Sora Rear derailleur Shimano Sora Brakes TEKTRO TK-R340 Brake Levers Shimano Sora Cassette / Freewheel Shimano HG50, 12-25, 9 speed Chain Shimano HG53 Crankset Shimano FC-R453, 50/39/30 Center Bracket Shimano Sora WHEELS Rims GIANT S-R2 Hubs Formula RB31 / Shimano 2200 Spokes Stainless steel, black Tires KENDA 700x25C Kriterium Defy 3 Frame Aluminium - ALUXX Fork Carbon composite - COMPOSITE, Alloy OverDrive Steerer 1 ⅛ "~ 1 ¼" Rear Shock Lack COMPONENTS Steering wheel GIANT Sports Stem GIANT Sports Seatpost GIANT Sports Saddle Giant Performance Road Pedals WELLGO DRIVE Shifters Shimano Sora 2x9 Front derailleur Shimano Sora Rear derailleur Shimano Sora Brakes TEKTRO TK-R312 Giant Specific Brake Levers Shimano Sora Cassette / Freewheel SRAM PG950 11-32, 9 speed Chain KMC X9 Crankset Shimano Sora, 50/34 Center Bracket Shimano Sora WHEELS Rims Giant S-Elite C Hubs Giant S-Elite C Spokes Giant S-Elite C Tires Giant S-R4 700x25C

As you listed here, the Defy 3 has a 9-speed drivetrain and the Defy 2 is 8-speed. Although the 2 actually has more speeds, 3x8 vs. 2x9.

Use your best judgement.

Those two bikes look so similar in components, the biggest difference you may notice is between the triple & double crankset. Double = simpler but not as low a low gear, fine if you're more fit and won't be touring on it. Triple = more complex to shift, but much lower gear range. for touring or climbing extra step hills or when you're not "racer fit"

Quote: Originally Posted by Ali Subity .
I need to know which one is better so if the Defy 3 is better I could negotiate with the shop over the Defy 2. the Defy 3 is 50 euro more expensive.

Either bike would probably be a good choice.

As oldbobcat suggesed, part of the basis for your decision can be whether you want a Triple or the Double Compact crankset.

Having said that, regardless of any other factors (and, since I don't know if there is any difference between the 2011 Sora shifters & the 2014 Sora shifters), 'I' think you should be looking at paying close(r) to only 65% of the MSRP for the 2011 bike because it is essentially a three-year-old/NOS bike (if it is "used" then its out-the-door value is less) ...

which is, by my reckoning, in the range of 300€ less than the MSRP way-back-when (2011) ...

So, whether your LBS believes THAT-or-not that NOS should be discounted, I reckon that if the LBS is charging only a 50€ difference between the two then you may want to shop around a bit ... either for another shop or another bike brand & models.

I suspect that if you could find a comparable 2011 TREK that it would cost close to 300€ less than you are currently being quoted for the 2011 Giant Defy 2.

BTW. Based on the indicated specs for the two bikes, the gearing with the "Compact" Double mated to an 11-32 Cassette is a little more aggressive on the high end & actually more modest on the lower end than the gearing for the 50/39/30 Triple mated to a 12-25 Cassette ... but if you ever plan on "loaded touring" with the bike then a Triple crankset would probably be worth considering having because you can changing the 12-25 Cassette to an 11-32 Cassette (for example) would give you considerably lower gearing than either bike's current set up.