Giant Defy 3 2011 Upgrades

steeevo

Sep 23, 2010
i have the new defy 3 model in white and got it for a good deal £430 so im not enjoying the rear derailer and am thinking of upgrading it, if i get 105 rear derailer will it make much of a difference? or would i need to replace the whole lot?

I really don't think upgrading the rear derailleur will be of great benefit, why do you think it needs it, are you sure you have your drive train set up properly?

well when im in a few certain gears i can hear it when i pedal, so im thinking its jus **** quality, i feel like when im in a high gear the chain is at more of an angle and it is making the noise on the cogs? its got a shimano 2300 as standard

There is nothing wrong with Shimano 2300, do you realise that there are certain gears that you shouldn't use, this applies to any groupset whatever the cost?

All "20" speed systems only really have 18 useable gears, the gears that you should avoid, simply described are as follows,

1. The easiest gear on the casette (biggest cog) when using the outer (biggest) chainwheel at the front.
2. Now the opposite, the hardest gear on the cassette(smallest cog) when using the inner (smallest) chainwheel at the front.

These combinations don't work very well due to the extreme angle of the chain and should be avoided (crosschaining).

Originally Posted by steeevo .

so you would say stick with the standard gear on the defy 3?
Yes and if you avoid the two gear combinations I mentioned in a previous post and it still sounds rough take it into your local bike shop and have them adjust it(or if you google "adjusting rear derailleur" you will find plenty of videos on You Tube showing you how to do it).
Assuming nothing is bent or damaged it is a five minute job.

i would not upgrade the group-set as standard shimano is good and you would have to change the entire lot (which could be expensive)... if you are upgrading anything upgrade the wheelset as the standard STATO wheels that come with the bike are very heavy for a road bike, a high quality brand that is fairly low priced is planet x or if you are feeling fancy Shimano Dura ace c50 wheel-set. it will improve the performance and ride quality...

This i know to be true as i have a 2011 giant defy 3 myself fitted with planet x carbon wheels

ADVICE TO ALL- When upgrading always look at the most heavy bike components (wheels, crankset, bars, stem, seatpost)

BUT REMEMBER- + weight= longer lifespan... - weight= shorter lifespan