Giant frame w/integrated headset 1"

timo310

Jul 26, 2004
I have a Giant frame with a one inch integrated headset(threaded). I would like to upgrade to a Carbon fork and threadless headset. Does the fork have to be made for integrated headsets or will any 1 " carbon fork work? I've seen several at online retailers that have a 1 1/8" integrated carbon fork but none in one inch. I also found that Cane Creek makes a 1" integrated headset(hard to find) that I presume will work with my frame but I'm not sure. The Giant dealer in my area doesn't seem to know any more about this than I do so I'd really appreciate any help......

timo310 said:
I have a Giant frame with a one inch integrated headset(threaded). I would like to upgrade to a Carbon fork and threadless headset. Does the fork have to be made for integrated headsets or will any 1 " carbon fork work? I've seen several at online retailers that have a 1 1/8" integrated carbon fork but none in one inch. I also found that Cane Creek makes a 1" integrated headset(hard to find) that I presume will work with my frame but I'm not sure. The Giant dealer in my area doesn't seem to know any more about this than I do so I'd really appreciate any help......
Giant says the Cane Creek ZS-2 is the threadless replacement for what you have.If your head tube is sized for 1" steerer,then that is what you are stuck with. sometimes ruducers are used in a 11/8" type HT to get to a 1" steerer.I don't know just how Giant does their headtube/HS, but any LBS not populated by morons should be able to take yours apart and give you a correct answer.

boudreaux said:
Giant says the Cane Creek ZS-2 is the threadless replacement for what you have.If your head tube is sized for 1" steerer,then that is what you are stuck with. sometimes ruducers are used in a 11/8" type HT to get to a 1" steerer.I don't know just how Giant does their headtube/HS, but any LBS not populated by morons should be able to take yours apart and give you a correct answer.

I was wondering about that, I thought I had once heard someone say that Giant's is more like the campy zero stack than the true integrated I'm glad I didn't buy the IS-2 headset that I was planning to buy. thanks

I would like to go threadless too with my custom steel bike. I'm trying to get hold of a threaded Time carbon fork but there are more and better threadless forks out there (like Reynolds Ouzos). Would the ZS-2 work for me too?

Problems I can already foresee are the cost of replacing the headset (more expensive than Campag Record!) and stem, and the loss of height compared to my present set up. Also the ZS-2 is apparently only compatible with 'ZS-equipped frames'.

Alan

ijnuhb said:
I would like to go threadless too with my custom steel bike. I'm trying to get hold of a threaded Time carbon fork but there are more and better threadless forks out there (like Reynolds Ouzos). Would the ZS-2 work for me too?

Problems I can already foresee are the cost of replacing the headset (more expensive than Campag Record!) and stem, and the loss of height compared to my present set up. Also the ZS-2 is apparently only compatible with 'ZS-equipped frames'.

Alan
You can't use an integrated HS unless you frame is made for it.

boudreaux said:
You can't use an integrated HS unless you frame is made for it.

OK thanks. Have you got any ideas what I could do, boudreaux? Is there any kind of headset that will replace a threaded system?

Or maybe you know of some good threaded forks I could buy- it seems people have stopped making them.

ijnuhb said:
OK thanks. Have you got any ideas what I could do, boudreaux? Is there any kind of headset that will replace a threaded system?

Or maybe you know of some good threaded forks I could buy- it seems people have stopped making them.
If you have a traditional threaded HS,it can be repalced with a traditional threadless.