GIANT (IGUANA) vs TREK

novice

Aug 6, 2003
I am about to buy myself a MTB and am prepared to pay up to $900. There is a Giant Iguana currently on sale in my local shop for $699 reduced from $1,100 so I am very tempted to get it and also because I have geard that it is a good all round bike. I am also looking at Trek bikes though, in particular the Trek 4400 and 4700. They are each in slightly lower price brackets then the Iguana (although because the Iguana is on sale are actually around the same price at my local shop). I guess the answer is fairly obvious the Iguana will be the right buy and for the best value. But does anyone have any thoughts on this? Appreciate some assistance in helping me decide.

Cheers, Robin

If you haven't already bought your bike, I suggest you try to check out a 2002 Norco Charger (blue and black in colour). There are 2 models around - the 2002 and the 2003; the newer model has disc brakes but has compromised some other components in order to make them a standard offering and is noticeablely heavier (it will also cost you more). I just paid AUD$900 for the 2002 model. Summary of components: Shimano Deore brakes, shifters, front derailleur & hubs (oversize), Deore LX rear derailleur, Shimano crank, RockShox Judy C fork & 7005 aluminium frame (a light bike for the price).

I am very happy with the purchase, which I compared to the Giant Yukon (a cheaper bike) and Iguana models when I was shopping 2 months ago. I also compared a Diamond Back Topanga and a Kona in the same price range but Norco won. Didn't see any Treks in my shopping around. Because the 2002 Charger has been superseded by the 2003 model, you can get it for a song (it was originally an AUD$1300-$1400 bike).

Can't tell from your posting where in the world you live but the figures you've mentioned look pretty close to Australian prices. If you're prepared to spend $900 and you still really like the Giant, look for the 2004 Iguana cos the sale price you mentioned ($699) sounds like it could be the 2003 model. I've noticed that the strengthening Oz exchange rate has bought down the starting prices for the new Giant range and I'm pretty sure you could get a 2004 Iguana for close to AUD$900.