Giant MPH brakes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by T_blood, Apr 3, 2003.

  1. T_blood

    T_blood Guest

    Anyone have any experience with Giants MPH hydraulic disc brakes?? Just got a bike with a set and am
    trying to figure how to adjust the caliper. I see the outer brake pad can be adjusted off the
    handle, but the disc is rubbing the inner pad and I see no adjustment where I can center the
    caliper. Any help appreciated...Mike

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    T_Blood wrote:
    > Anyone have any experience with Giants MPH hydraulic disc brakes?? Just got a bike with a set and
    > am trying to figure how to adjust the caliper. I see the outer brake pad can be adjusted off the
    > handle, but the disc is rubbing the inner pad and I see no adjustment where I can center the
    > caliper. Any help appreciated...Mike

    Washers?

  3. Simon

    Simon Guest

    | T_Blood wrote:
    | > Anyone have any experience with Giants MPH hydraulic disc brakes?? Just
    got
    | > a bike with a set and am trying to figure how to adjust the caliper. I
    see
    | > the outer brake pad can be adjusted off the handle, but the disc is
    rubbing
    | > the inner pad and I see no adjustment where I can center the caliper.
    Any
    | > help appreciated...Mike
    |
    | Washers?

    Yup just what Mr.B said........washers.

    You say you just got the bike, maybe they need to be run in before you go adjusting.

    Simon

  4. "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > T_Blood wrote:
    > > Anyone have any experience with Giants MPH hydraulic disc brakes?? Just
    got
    > > a bike with a set and am trying to figure how to adjust the caliper. I
    see
    > > the outer brake pad can be adjusted off the handle, but the disc is
    rubbing
    > > the inner pad and I see no adjustment where I can center the caliper.
    Any
    > > help appreciated...Mike
    >
    > Washers?

    I second the washers. You need to get your hands on some 0.2 mm washers. Just a word of warning
    those brakes aren't exactly crash friendly, so take care of the levers, its where you will get most
    trouble form them.

    AL

  5. T_blood

    T_blood Guest

    "Alastair Maxwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...

    > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > T_Blood wrote:
    > > > Anyone have any experience with Giants MPH hydraulic disc brakes??
    Just
    > got
    > > > a bike with a set and am trying to figure how to adjust the caliper. I
    > see
    > > > the outer brake pad can be adjusted off the handle, but the disc is
    > rubbing
    > > > the inner pad and I see no adjustment where I can center the caliper.
    > Any
    > > > help appreciated...Mike
    > >
    > > Washers?
    > >

    > I second the washers. You need to get your hands on some 0.2 mm washers. Just a word of warning
    > those brakes aren't exactly crash friendly, so take care of the levers, its where you will get
    > most trouble form them.
    >
    > AL

    Thanks, I never considered washers, but sounds like a good idea. By looking at the brakes I figured
    they werent crash friendly. The brake fluid reservoir just sort of sticks out there. Thanks
    again...Mike

  6. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    T_Blood <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone have any experience with Giants MPH hydraulic disc brakes?? Just
    got
    > a bike with a set and am trying to figure how to adjust the caliper. I see the outer brake pad can
    > be adjusted off the handle, but the disc is
    rubbing
    > the inner pad and I see no adjustment where I can center the caliper. Any help appreciated...Mike

    Giant in Europe replaced 10,000 set of these brakes with Hayes (well thats the word on the
    street anyway)

  7. T_blood

    T_blood Guest

    "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]...

    > T_Blood <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Anyone have any experience with Giants MPH hydraulic disc brakes?? Just
    > got
    > > a bike with a set and am trying to figure how to adjust the caliper. I
    see
    > > the outer brake pad can be adjusted off the handle, but the disc is
    > rubbing
    > > the inner pad and I see no adjustment where I can center the caliper.
    Any
    > > help appreciated...Mike
    > >
    > Giant in Europe replaced 10,000 set of these brakes with Hayes (well thats the word on the
    > street anyway)

    That is interesting indeed. I am in Europe, maybe I should check it out at my dealer. Thanks...Mike