Giant OCR 2 front derailleur change

dsops00

Jun 2, 2004
My wife has a Giant OCR 2 with a Tiagra front Der. I want to put on a 105, what type do I need? The Tiagra screws onto a piece on the frame, Do I need a braze on? Top or bottom pull? What size? Any help would be apprecialted.

It's a bottom pull braze on. Any particular reason for the switch? Unless the current one is broken, there won't be much of a performance gain from upgrading the front derailleur.

artmichalek said:
It's a bottom pull braze on. Any particular reason for the switch? Unless the current one is broken, there won't be much of a performance gain from upgrading the front derailleur.
We live in quite hilly terrain so she uses the granny a lot. When going from granny to the middle chain ring it is very iffy (doesn't shift smoothly) Is this an adjustment? I would think that the travel in and out range is more critical and the reason for needing adjustment, not going from granny to middle. Thanks for the info, any additional help would be appreciated.

dsops00 said:
We live in quite hilly terrain so she uses the granny a lot. When going from granny to the middle chain ring it is very iffy (doesn't shift smoothly) Is this an adjustment? I would think that the travel in and out range is more critical and the reason for needing adjustment, not going from granny to middle. Thanks for the info, any additional help would be appreciated.

i have a OCR 2....and my front derailur is ****. i'm constantly having to spend a half an hour fixing the deraillur, mine doesn't have trouble shifting from the small to the middle, but it won't go into the large (which is basically all i use so it doesn't matter to much) without screwing around, but i take it i'm not the only one with problems with the OCR2 deraillur? ..... but yes you can adjust it, depending on how nice your LBS is you might be able to just take it in and they'll fix it for free, if you know what your doing for it, it only takes a couple of minutes

dsops00 said:
A poorly adjusted 105 won't shift any better.

trackman23434 said:
i have a OCR 2....and my front derailur is ****. i'm constantly having to spend a half an hour fixing the deraillur, mine doesn't have trouble shifting from the small to the middle, but it won't go into the large (which is basically all i use so it doesn't matter to much) without screwing around, but i take it i'm not the only one with problems with the OCR2 deraillur? ..... but yes you can adjust it, depending on how nice your LBS is you might be able to just take it in and they'll fix it for free, if you know what your doing for it, it only takes a couple of minutes
It's the adjustment that is ****, not the FD.You obviously don't know what you are doing. www.parktool.com has the drill. start at the beginnng with position and alignent and loose cable!

boudreaux said:
It's the adjustment that is ****, not the FD.You obviously don't know what you are doing. www.parktool.com has the drill. start at the beginnng with position and alignent and loose cable!
I love you pompous cyclists. I ask a simple question because , yes I admit that I don't know what I am doing , If I did I wouldn't have asked!! and you have to answer with attitude!. Fortunately, there are a few helpful cyclists out there that realize that they were beginners once also, and had to ask questions before they were all knowing like you, that I can get non judgemental answers from. Have a nice day!

dsops00 said:
I love you pompous cyclists. I ask a simple question because , yes I admit that I don't know what I am doing , If I did I wouldn't have asked!! and you have to answer with attitude!. Fortunately, there are a few helpful cyclists out there that realize that they were beginners once also, and had to ask questions before they were all knowing like you, that I can get non judgemental answers from. Have a nice day!
Get a prescription for chill pills :rolleyes: ,and check out the Park site.It's the real muppets that think 'upgrading' from tiagra to 105 will cure bad adjustment issues.

boudreaux said:

maybe you should reread mine....i said to take it to LBS and they can adjust it very quick. but chill off a bit!!! when you jump like that people wonder why cyclists have such a bad rep in so many areas, you should want to help new people, not bite their heads off

boudreaux said:

maybe you should reread mine....i said to take it to LBS and they can adjust it very quick. but chill off a bit!!! when you jump like that people wonder why cyclists have such a bad rep in so many areas, you should want to help new people, not bite their heads off

trackman23434 said:
Seems I lost that part in all the blater..Don't count on LBS nose pickers getting it right either.

dsops00 said:
My wife has a Giant OCR 2 with a Tiagra front Der. I want to put on a 105, what type do I need? The Tiagra screws onto a piece on the frame, Do I need a braze on? Top or bottom pull? What size? Any help would be apprecialted.
I am not sure if changing the derailer would help your situation. From your description, it sounds like improper cable adjustment. Loosing the cable screw and start over from the beginning.

I suggest you buy Zinn's road bike maintenance book if you want to get your hands dirty on that. It teaches a lot in bike tuning and adjustments.

boudreaux said:
Get a prescription for chill pills :rolleyes: ,and check out the Park site.It's the real muppets that think 'upgrading' from tiagra to 105 will cure bad adjustment issues.
Thanks for the pointer to the Park site, it is clear and basic, I admit I need that. I am a muppet that thinks there is a price point where the next model up $ wise works better than the next lower($) model. It seems that in this case that is not the issue, adjustment is. Great, I save some $$. I really think you should see someone about that ego , however. Thanks again.
;)