Giant OCR 3

bjhkmf

Jul 15, 2004
I'm considering buying an OCR 3 as an "all-purpose" bike--a bit of light touring in the area, occasional group rides, and for endurance training. Being new to road bikes, I'm not sure if I should start with an entry level bike or buy something better. My budget is around a thousand--but that includes a new cycle computer and a back rack for my trunk with zippered side panniers (for the light touring I want to do).

Are the Sora components suitable for a new roadie? Should I upgrade to a bike with the 105s?

ANY suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

Giant OCR 2 would have a little better components and would still be under $1000...leaving room for the extras.

You should get the best bike youn can afford. If you have a $1000 to spend then first figure out how much the "extra's" will cost and the remaining money should go towards the bike. If possible go with the OCR 2 or something comparible but if this won't work for your budget then the OCR 3 should be fine. The Sora components will work fine for what you've described, the problem with Sora comes later down the road when you want to upgrade. Sora components are not inter-changable with the higher end components (ie. Tiagra, 105, Ultregra, Dura Ace).

BanditManDan said:
You should get the best bike youn can afford. If you have a $1000 to spend then first figure out how much the "extra's" will cost and the remaining money should go towards the bike. If possible go with the OCR 2 or something comparible but if this won't work for your budget then the OCR 3 should be fine. The Sora components will work fine for what you've described, the problem with Sora comes later down the road when you want to upgrade. Sora components are not inter-changable with the higher end components (ie. Tiagra, 105, Ultregra, Dura Ace).
Thanks, Dan, for the upgrade insight. I wasn't really thinking of the future--and any thoughts of down the road were centered on wearing this initial purchase out and buying a better bike--or using this bike for around town when I (hopefully) become a better cyclist and need a better bike. I've never upgraded parts--only whole bikes . . . .

I've heard that the Sora components are not as smooth as the 105. Any thoughts on this?

bjhkmf said:
Thanks, Dan, for the upgrade insight. I wasn't really thinking of the future--and any thoughts of down the road were centered on wearing this initial purchase out and buying a better bike--or using this bike for around town when I (hopefully) become a better cyclist and need a better bike. I've never upgraded parts--only whole bikes . . . .

I've heard that the Sora components are not as smooth as the 105. Any thoughts on this?
sora rear der are significantly jumper and require more care...
but the ocr 3 comes standard with the mtb style brakes in addition to the road brakes..
which for casual riding is great

bjhkmf said:
Well, I'd get the Cypress SL with the carbon fiber fork and seatpost, and Ultegra/105 components...But I like flatbars (guess what my bike is).
I bought low and hit the ceiling in upgrades fast. Being new to cycling, I figured I didn't need any fancy stuff until I started riding. My norm is 20 miles around Sonoma county, with some hilly stuff. The low end der's I had didn't want to shift on the hills, under pressure, and needed adjustment frequently (and are nto up-grade-able). I could have gotten past it, but my wife said I could buy a new bike, after a year (my plain Jane Cypress is a 2000 though- I got it used for $100).
If I could have upgraded the bike I would have, but the tubing used in the Higher Cypress is the Giant ALLUX, which is lighter then the 6061.
So heres the answer. For $850, you are going to get a bike that does not wear out as fast (better chain, BB, cranks, rear cassette), and that you are happier with longer, which makes sense if you tend to just get new bikes in the long run anyway. You will be able to upgrade if something breaks for minimal $$ (The Ultegra rear der is $14 more then the 104), and be even happier. Your frame will be lighter (same geometry though), and so will the sweet Mavic wheels the OCR 2 comes with. I would be inclined to spend that extra $250 out of the shoot rather then lament not spending it while I am huffing and puffing up a hill and my derailler won't shift.
the 2 cents has been delivered

Telegram Sam said:
So heres the answer. For $850, you are going to get a bike that does not wear out as fast (better chain, BB, cranks, rear cassette), and that you are happier with longer, which makes sense if you tend to just get new bikes in the long run anyway.
With a little wheeling and dealing (and getting lucky with timing) I think its possible to get a Giant OCR-1. I got mine for $820 (allowing for $100 worth of vouchers that I have to spend at the dealer). The OCR-1 has a mixture of 105 and Ultegra components. I don't know much about bikes but I love the thing :)

Mark

OCRs come with Xero wheels, don't they? Only the OCR 3 doesn't. You might be mistaking them for the TCRs, which do use Mavics.

[/QUOTE]Thanks--ALL of your suggestions give me something to base my decision on--rather than the limited amount of experience I have in this area. :rolleyes:

I looked at the OCR 1,2,and 3 for my wife and wound up with the OCR1. My chief complaint with the 1 was that you could not trim the front derailleur and it would drive me nuts to ride next to her with the chain rubbing.
Good luck with whatever you choose, Bone

keydates said:
OCRs come with Xero wheels, don't they? Only the OCR 3 doesn't. You might be mistaking them for the TCRs, which do use Mavics.
Your right- I'm drunk...oops

I agree - I just recently bought a used OCR3 for $400. Although the bike has been good for a recent 3-day charity ride - I already would like to upgrade components. It would be cheaper to buy an OCR2 or 1 than to fuss with parts.

i like my OCR3, i like the yellow colour which goes well with my cycling cloths and i also like it because in a way, it shows i support lance's livestrong except i dont have the armband (which i'm working on getting)
the only other kak thing is, my bicycle is slightly bit to big for me which i'm trying to fix as well.