Giant OCR C3 - Long reach brake calipers?

mgkaplan

Apr 23, 2006
Does anyone know if the Giant OCR C3 truly has long reach brake calipers? Their website indicates long reach, however my LBS salesperson has suggested that the calipers on this bike are normal reach and not long reach.

My concern is that if I choose to upgrade my calipers I would want to purchase the correct size.

Thanks

wouldnt the idea of buying new calipers entail going down to the bike shop and checking if the new calipers fit the bike?

can you throw a link up I cant spot this bike on the Giant website

kleng said:
As Gclark says, if the shop model has the 25mm tyres then it would be a fair guess that the brake calipers are long reach for the extra clearance it needs.
My personal opinion is that a 23mm is a better tire, less rotating weight. If you want more comfort why don't people just reduce the pressure in the 23's
Can I assume that even if I change to a 23mm tire, I must use only a long reach caliper, given the dimensions of the bike?

mgkaplan said:
Can I assume that even if I change to a 23mm tire, I must use only a long reach caliper, given the dimensions of the bike?
It would all depend on the fork length from the base of the calipers.
Normal reach calipers have vertical allowance for the brake pad position, but whether this could stretch to the rims, this would have to be a try and see.
I really can't see how giant would have specified a different fork for this frame to accomodate the 25mm tyre, but maybe they have.

George have you got any idea on this, your'e usually experimenting with things.

The rim will still be in the same place regardless of tyre size, 23, 25, 28mm. As the calipers are dual pivot, just fit better brake pads, the ones with replacable pad material. Most entry level dual pivot are Ultegra quality. (My Promax are, at 40% the Shimano Ultegra price)