Giant OCR creaking

Duckwah

Oct 30, 2002
Hey guys, i've got a problem with my giant OCR3 and wanted to see if anyone has got any advice

My problem is that the stem/headest creaks very badly and its not very stiff.

Of course because its a threaded headset i can't upgrade to a stiffer stem because that would involve new forks as well and i don't think the frame will take a 1 1/8 inch headset anyway

any ideas?

Originally posted by Duckwah
Hey guys, i've got a problem with my giant OCR3 and wanted to see if anyone has got any advice

Of course because its a threaded headset i can't upgrade to a stiffer stem because that would involve new forks as well and i don't think the frame will take a 1 1/8 inch headset anyway

any ideas?

if its a quill stem, you shouldn't have to change fork?? why do you think this necessary ??

The '03 and earlier OCR3 is fitted with an adjustable quill stem that frankly ain't the bike's best feature. Fatbiker's right, though; I'm no Giant certified mechanic, but I'm pretty sure that once you get into the headtube, it's like any other quill stem. Changing it out isn't as easy as with a threadless stem, but the fork needn't be replaced.

You should be able to get it changed out for a nicer, stiffer, and lighter threaded stem at your LBS. I'd go ahead and try to have a mechanic isolate the creak first, as well -- just to be sure.

Good luck, Duck.

any ideas?

Try taking the stem out of the frame and lubing everything up, it might just have some gunk in it. Another option if you think the stem isnt strong enough is to get an a-head adaptor for your forks which would mean that you could run an a-head stem of your choice. I think they cost around 15 bucks.

thanks guys i'll look into those solutions

i think the bike is getting a little worn all over from some pretty heavy riding so i don't want to spend lots of money replacing bits as they fall apart

i should probably just buy a new bike but cash could be a problem

Well, the OCR3 is a pretty basic bike; no-one's going to give you too hard a time if you decide to trade up. Still, you can find a sturdy replacement quill stem and have it installed for not too much cash. Quills are a dying breed, and very few manufacturers are pushing fancy ones anymore.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and get the stem replaced, have it all checked over, and get it in good enough shape that you can ride it around for another year or two while you save up for a new bike.

Good luck.

any ideas?

Take out the stem. Clean it and the inside of the fork column.
Carefully apply a coating of anti-sieze on the threads and telescoping interfaces. Torque it to specification.
While the stem is out, service the headset top an bottom, using the best grease you can afford.
See if this makes a difference.
If it doesn't make any difference, try loosening the stem bar clamping bolt and cleaning the bar interface and stem interface areas. Carefully apply anti-sieze on the interface surface. Apply some anti-sieze to the clamping bolt threads and torque to specification.
If this doesn't make any difference you need to get a new diagnosis.

i talked to the bike shop today and they said i can get an adapter for an ahead stem if i want to fit better bars

however i'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the bike is wearing out due to the volume of riding i'm doing and its probably time to upgrade

i've already replaced the wheels, seat and if i did the bars and stem i'm about 50% of the way to a new bike!!