Giant OCR vs Specialized Allez

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by dandaman, Apr 3, 2006.

1. dandaman

dandaman New Member

After months of thinking i should get a flat bar road bike for my fast London commute, im increasingly thinking i should get with the drop bar crowd!

i had been set on a Ridgeback Genersis Day 2 until i found out they dont have carbon forks in the 2006 model. The Day 3 is too expensive so im looking for a road bike with carbon forks for less than 700 pounds.

Ive narrowed it down to one of the Giant OCRs or Specialized Allez bikes. its just a real headache figuring out which offers the best value for money!

I want something light, fast and fairly durable to handle the dodgy roads of London. There are no big hill climbs in my 40 minute commute.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance....

Tags:

2. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

this is mostly personal preference, but I's DEFINITELY get the Specialized oever an OCR. Some of those OCRs are BRICKS!! I had a 1999 Allez, which was one of my favourite bikes.

3. dandaman

dandaman New Member

thanks! yeah, oddly i just read somewhere minutes ago that the OCRs are heavy.

but then there appears to be an issue with the strength of Aleez wheels... :confused:

4. 531Aussie

I'm not sure about the new OCRs, but the ones I saw from a few years ago were total anvils!! I actually thought they were steel.

What wheels are on the Allez?
    Got a link?

5. dandaman

dandaman New Member

on the spec allez double its Alex DA-16 alloy rims....

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=5326

6. dandaman

dandaman New Member

7. 531Aussie

yeah, they use crap, cheap spokes and rim tape too. I mate of mine recently bought a cheap Gitane with some Alex wheels on it, but they've been fine for him -- all i did was put on some proper rim tape, and I've given the front wheel a slight tweak to correct a small wobble. This buddy of mine weighs about 72kg

If it were me, I wouldn't be too concerned about the wheels -- they cop a bit of a pounding anyway. Chances are they've had a cheap build, so I'd just keep a close eye on the spoke tension, and make sure the guys at the shop quickly correct an misalignment.

I guess what I'm trying ot say is that wheels cop a pounding, and they're cheap and easy to replace. I'd be more concerned about the other components on the bike.

8. JTE83

JTE83 Member

Those people who say crap about the OCR probably don't ride one. I have 5 road bikes and my OCR 1 with Jandd panniers is one of them. The wheels are strong enough to take my 150 lbs weight with a fully loaded pannier too. I have 1000 miles on my bike and no problems except a replaced under warranty Ultegra Right Shifter.

It's not a slow bike even with panniers. My top speed ever was with my Cervelo Soloist (Ksyrium SLs) at 32.9 mph in top form. I hit 29.8 mph on my OCR 1 with panniers, and I wasn't in top form as when I did 32.9 mph. (All speeds flats no wind)

The OCR 1 makes an excellent commuter bike, and it's my most comfortable bike. I also have a 2005 Kestrel Talon, 2006 Raleigh Prestige, 2002 Giant Tcr Aero 2, and 2003 Cervelo Soloist Team.

9. dandaman

dandaman New Member

ok, well i wont take it off my list then! thanks.

tried out some Treks yesterday. Trek 1000 i think. was ok, but not overly impressed

10. the beef

the beef New Member

It's a personal thing, but I really don't like the compact frame geometry of the OCR. I've test ridden an OCR 3 as well as an OCR 2; even with the right adjustments I just can't seem to find a good fit. But it might work for you; it's different for everybody.