giant OCR1 size ? (vs. Trek)

kziegel

Aug 10, 2003
I'm considering purchasing a 2003 Giant OCR1. My LBS has a large (but no XL) which I have ridden and liked. They assured me that someone of my size (6'1", 34"inseam, 180 lbs) would do fine on the large. Even so, I would feel more comfortable with this purchase after having ridden the XL for comparison. Unfortuneately, nobody around here will have that size until next spring and I can get a decent deal ($999) on the large OCR1 now. Any comments/experience with sizing this particular frame?

I've read extensively about frame sizing and various formulations suggest anywhere from a 56 to 60 cm frame for my body deminsions. I'm not sure how to relate this to the compact frame geometry, however. I'm currently riding a 17 yr old, 62 cm steel frame (Schwinn Tempo) which has been reasonably comfortable for the type of riding I do (20-40 mi, several times per week).

I'm also considering a Trek 2000 (60 cm), but am leaning heavily towards the Giant as it seems a much better value. Any comments on OCR1 vs. Trek 2000 also appreciated.

First, I would suggest a profesisonal fitting. If you don't want to spend the bucks for that, go to one of the many websites that lead you through a fitting. One good one is http://wrenchscience.com/WS1/Secure/Fitting/Height.asp.

Do not buy a frame that is too small for you. From the sound of it, the Giant is too small. The Trek 2000 sounds like a much better fit.