Giant OCR1 v Merida v Vivente

BryanM

Sep 30, 2006
Hi All,
I ride to work @ 23kms each way (end up around 150-200kms per week) with a couple of ripper hills to go up & down. I plan to do a bit more riding on the weekends also - possibly some road competition rides/races (around 50kms).
Considering a 2006 Giant OCR1 for $AU1500, Vivente Lugano $AU1190 or a 2007 Merida 903-18 for $AU1320.
Anyone out there recommend any of these bikes ? I havent heard of the Vivente until I saw it in a bike shop.
I'm leaning towards the OCR1. Any advice appreciated.
Cheers,
Bryan

I just bought a 2007 OCR1 for a similar commute (20 km each way, with a quite long climb near the end), and I think it's a perfect bike for the job. Fairly quick and stable, but with a slightly longer wheelbase than some and carbon fibre which smooths things out a bit. I know the 2006 has Shimano 105 running gear: Judging by the prices on the others you mentioned, they'd be using something lesser. I don't know much about the other bikes, but I don't think you could go wrong with the Giant.

Vivente are new to the market this year. They seem to be good value for money, but the only way to work out which bike you prefer is take them all out for a ride and see which one suits you best.