Giant OCR2......

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by tidefan1956, Dec 22, 2003.

1. tidefan1956

tidefan1956 New Member

I'm a beginning cyclist, but want to start off with a decent bike, is this one ok? I can get an 04 for around $800.00, which is about my limit. If there is a better entry level bike for the money, please let me know.

Tags:

2. Zer0hmz

Zer0hmz New Member

I'm by no means an expert on cycling, I just started myself (about a month ago). As a newbie, I can tell you what I learned from my buying experience. I had a budget as well for the bike, however, once you're there, ready for the bike, there are other things that come into play. You're going to need accessories, particularly a helmet and padded shorts (contingent on the length of your rides of course). As my LSB mechanic/sales guy put it, "you're not buying this type of bike to putz around on the street".

My point is, don't forget to factor in the "other" costs associated with this type of purchase (maybe you have already). Personally, I picked up another $100 worth of stuff (computer, helmet, tuffies for the tires) that day. Then I got the shorts as well. Needless to say, these items blew my budget.

As far as the bike you're considering, I'll leave that to the experts in this community to comment. Good luck!

3. lokstah

lokstah New Member

I think the OCR2 is an excellent value for the entry-level road category, as I said in this thread a little while ago. Like the other strong offerings in that price range, it's got a Tiagra drivetrain, which is modest but a huge leap in quality over the next component level down (Sora). It even sports a 105 rear der., a nice touch.

Like most entry-level road bikes, it's a bit on the hefty side, but unless you're doing serious hill-climbing, you likely won't be bothered by it. The only part I'd consider dumping at some point would be the adujstable stem; it's a convenience at the early stage, when you're finding your posture and getting used to a lower profile, but once you're stable, you might consider a standard, fixed stem in the appropriate length and rise. It'll be sturdier, and save you some weight to boot.

Good luck!

4. Kevin in KY

Kevin in KY New Member

I also have my eye on the 2004 OCR2...much improved over the 2003. When my LBS first showed it to me in the fall, he was even surprised by all the upgrades.

Another post says it's only $150 between the OCR2 and OCR1...if that's true, maybe the difference is worth thye money.

I'll be happy with the OCR2...just need to get up the nerve and switch from my MTB to a roadie!