giant or gt

TIGER TRAX

Apr 25, 2006
:confused: HEY

i guess everyone is asking everyone what there opinions on different model of bikes and waht they recon is the best choice. so im gonna bother you again and ask for ppls opinion on what bike i should get.
im not looking at spending a huge amount of money as im not a full time racer just like the weekend rides on paths and will be looking at doin some more bush work like munda bidi track and stuff through mundaring. and i cant afford a
duel-e and want a hardtail. anyways the two im looking at are

GT AVALANCHE 1.0 DISC 2006 WITH HAYES SOLE HYDRAULIC AND J3 ROCKS
DIORE LX COMPONENTS

GIANT ALIAS 2006 WITH JUST BOUT SAME STUFF SRAM COMPONENTS

TIGER TRAX said:
:confused: HEY

i guess everyone is asking everyone what there opinions on different model of bikes and waht they recon is the best choice. so im gonna bother you again and ask for ppls opinion on what bike i should get.
im not looking at spending a huge amount of money as im not a full time racer just like the weekend rides on paths and will be looking at doin some more bush work like munda bidi track and stuff through mundaring. and i cant afford a
duel-e and want a hardtail. anyways the two im looking at are

GT AVALANCHE 1.0 DISC 2006 WITH HAYES SOLE HYDRAULIC AND J3 ROCKS
DIORE LX COMPONENTS

GIANT ALIAS 2006 WITH JUST BOUT SAME STUFF SRAM COMPONENTS
I'd go with the Giant for the SRAM components. Bang-for-buck, I like them better. The only thing that makes me sad about having SRAM shifters on my new bike is that I don't have trigger-shifting anymore. The shifting is tighter and seem more durable, but I don't really like the all-thumb shifting (I really don't like gripshift, but that's just a personal preference).

Im at a loss...i was thinking Giant as the Alias has great value for money but the GT has better forks...Probably the Giant due to the SRAM componentry...

(That was difficult as they are very similar bikes spec-wise!)

I can't say much about the GT but I have been riding the Giant Alias 2006 since it was first released and have been very happy with it. I have put it to the test in varied conditions from sand to mud and it hasn't let me down yet!

Sweet!
Whats the deal with the Thermo? Is that going to replace the XtC frame???
It will also be interesting to see if the AC is still in the line up as its progressivly being spec-ed out.

Tiger trax, I recently bought a GT avalanche 2.0 disc. My decision was based on overall componentry for what I was paying(I'm just getting back into biking and felt more comfortable with Shimano than SRAM, just wasn't familiar with SRAM, nothing based on experience). I compared the models available in my area and bought what I felt was best after riding them. I wasn't too set on disc brakes but thats what this bike had and they seem to be working out OK. So, do your comparison, ride the ones you are seriously considering and go from there.

One last thing to remember, find a LBS that you have confidence in. I bought 2 GT bikes, spent around $1000 US (1 for me, 1 for my son) and now take them to a different shop to be worked on. The guy at the 1st shop just couldn't do the small adjustments satisfactorally. Needless to say, despite getting the most bike for my money, I've now changed shops and will likely buy from the new shop in the future. They carry specialized brand bicycles. Quality service can't be overlooked. I wish I would have known more before purchasing but both presented themselves well during the buying process. I feel the shop that can take better care of my bikes should have benefitted from my purchase. Ask around and make sure you get the best overall deal (componetry, LBS knowledge etc) Let us know what you decide. Good luck, Greg

paddlenpedal said:
I can't say much about the GT but I have been riding the Giant Alias 2006 since it was first released and have been very happy with it. I have put it to the test in varied conditions from sand to mud and it hasn't let me down yet!
1+ GIANT is much better!

Hey guys! Just bought my first Giant in the UK and lurve it. Been mtbing in a local pinetum and it was just tops.:D