Giant or Merckx

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by danleik, Dec 12, 2003.

1. lokstah

lokstah New Member

That the K2?

2. dhk

dhk New Member

I've got the same combination on order now from our local framebuilder, built with Columbus Zonal. It's a 100-200 gms heavier than the thinner-wall Airplane or XLR8R tubeset, but should last as long as I care to ride it.

What frame did you get, and how do you like it?

Dan

3. drewski

drewski New Member

yeah. good memory! :)

as mentioned it's a K2. specifically the 2003 Mod 5.0 made with Columbus Airplane tubing. built it up w/ 9-speed DA, cane creek volos Ti wheels and the obligatory SLR saddle.

i really love it so far. only had it for about 1 1/2 months and i'm still getting back into shape after years of inactivity so my ride impressions are mixed with my increasing fitness. still, it's definitely gotten me out more. :)

i mentioned some of my thoughts in that thread of whether carbon rear-ends make a difference. on my bathroom scale it's about 1/2 lb heavier than K2 specs, but still 5 or 6 lbs lighter (entire bike) than my old 753 ride w/ 8-speed DA. i don't get any FD rub in sprints or hard out of the saddle riding so it's stiffer than my old frame. lighter and stiffer . . . still getting over that.

still, while the bike has dropped 5lbs, i've dropped 25lbs (185 -> 160lbs. see note above on years of inactivity) since mid-september when i made a new commitment to fitness, so i can't say that the reduced weight has been tremendously noticable on my overall performance vs. other opportunities i have to shed lbs, but i do feel the extra stiffness adds to my efficiency.

comfort-wise, it's on par with my old bike despite the weight-loss. is it the CF rear? the Ti spokes? the Maxxis tires? tire-pressure? probably a combination, but any way you slice it, i'm amazed with the new technology.

i thought the ride was similar to other Euro-brands i test rode with similar configurations (Al-CF mix) and the price was right compared to the name-brand stuff when i was shopping around. only thing is that i'm not a huge fan of the integrated headset. what a pain in the arse to adjust!!

frame box said "Made in China" so you can see where a lot of the cost differential is coming from.

and hey, now my skis and bike are the same brand!!

4. dhk

dhk New Member

Not familar with K2, but it sounds great. I'm also going with the DA 9sp. Looked hard at Campy 10 sp, but wanted the easy availability and low cost of drivetrain spares.

I get some big ring chain rubbing and flex when I torque on my 11 year old Raleigh 531 frame; I know that will be history too.

Good to hear you're getting back in shape. I dropped 45 lbs in 2003, now where I want to be at 168 lb. Don't know about a 200 gm lighter frame, but a 20000 gm lighter body sure makes climbing easier.

Dan

5. drewski

drewski New Member

you know, i wasn't either, but it had some very positive reviews on RBReview. the only K2 bikes LBS's had to test were MTB, so i took a gamble after test riding other Al-CF bikes. i've been extremely happy so far.

yeah, it's amazing how different you feel when you're in beter shape! just more energy overall ("what? you want to take the elevator?"). still, i can't even imagine being or even getting to my old racing weight of 135lbs :eek: but i am looking to drop another 10lbs or so to get to 150. the holidays aren't helping though! ;)

sorry everyone for hi-jacking this thread!! :D

6. lokstah

lokstah New Member

No no, the original topic had run its course.

Some of the guys from the Jittery Joe's team were in my office a little while back, and I got a chance to see their K2s up close. I'm not sure what model they ride, but your '03 Mach 5 has got to be pretty darn close... your component group sounds similar to their sponsorship package, right down Cane Creek.

I love the flattened top tubes on the higher-end K2s. Very sexy!

7. drewski

drewski New Member

i just looked at their site. they do ride custom painted Mod 5 bikes. http://www.thebeanteam.com/home.html

the flattened top tube may be sexy, but it's a pain to put into a work-stand. so wide! ok, maybe i should be using the seat-tube . . .

so what company do you work for over in berkeley, if you don't mind me asking? i remember you said it was biking related.

if you don't want to post it, you can just e-mail me at [jeechang <at> earthlink <dot> net]