Giant or Specialized...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by James Davis, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. James Davis

    James Davis Guest

    Hey...

    I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...

    I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300. So far after some
    investigation I have narrowed it down to a Specialized Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any opinions???
    I shall be testing both, but would like a heads up from someone experienced with these things..

    Thanks in advance

    James

    Tags:

  2. No experience with Giant at all, but I _do_ like my HardRock.... ;-)

    Steve

  3. Supadumdum

    Supadumdum Guest

    James Davis wrote:
    > Hey...
    >
    > I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...
    >
    > I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300. So far after some
    > investigation I have narrowed it down to a Specialized Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any
    > opinions??? I shall be testing both, but would like a heads up from someone experienced with these
    > things..
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > James

    I own a POS Specialized and I passed a more expensive Giant on my ride Friday. So I would have to
    say that Specialized is the better choice.

    |-

  4. Kent

    Kent Guest

    Have a look at http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/ may be some help

    Kent <Top posting rlues!>

    "supadumdum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > James Davis wrote:
    > > Hey...
    > >
    > > I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...
    > >
    > > I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300. So far after some
    > > investigation I have narrowed it down to a Specialized Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any
    > > opinions??? I shall be testing both,
    but
    > > would like a heads up from someone experienced with these things..
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > >
    > > James
    > >

    > I own a POS Specialized and I passed a more expensive Giant on my ride Friday. So I would have to
    > say that Specialized is the better choice.
    >
    > |-

  5. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "James Davis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey...
    >
    > I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...

    No such thing as a dumb question. It's a good question that lots of people need help with.

    > I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300. So far after some
    > investigation I have narrowed it down to a Specialized Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any
    > opinions??? I shall be testing both,
    but
    > would like a heads up from someone experienced with these things..

    Both bikes offer excellent value, from solid companies. They're closely matched, from what I've
    seen. Pick the one that feels best and fits you best. Depending on your weight, the shock fork may
    be a deciding factor. Stock/OEM saddles and pedals are often crappy - those can be replaced very
    easily if you like everything else about the bike.

    When you're ready to make your final decision on which bike to buy, have the shop really dial-in the
    bike: check tire pressure, trim the gear shifters, get the saddle angle, fore/aft adj. and seatpost
    height just right for you, and then do your serious test ride. It's amazing what a few little
    adjustments can do to sway your opinion of a bike. See if you can take the bike for an extended test
    ride on actual off-road trails.

    Whatever you do, DO NOT let a salesperson talk you into buying a too-big or too-small bike. They try
    to do that sometimes. Get many opinions. Take a knowledgable friend along for help.

    Let us know what you end up with, and what you think about it.

    Cheers,

    Barry

  6. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    "James Davis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<3eff2f9b$0$18497$c[email protected]>...
    > Hey...
    >
    > I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...
    >
    > I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300. So far after some
    > investigation I have narrowed it down to a Specialized Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any
    > opinions??? I shall be testing both, but would like a heads up from someone experienced with these
    > things..
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > James

    Even being a Giant owner, and one who has experienced how great their customer service is between
    dealerships, they are both good companies, and good bikes, so it really comes down to what feels
    better for you. You won't lose no matter what choice you make.

  7. Twohat

    Twohat Guest

    <[email protected]l.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "James Davis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hey...
    > >
    > > I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...
    > >
    > > I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300. So far after some
    > > investigation I have narrowed it down to a Specialized Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any
    > > opinions??? I shall be testing both,
    but
    > > would like a heads up from someone experienced with these things..
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > >
    > > James
    >
    > Even being a Giant owner, and one who has experienced how great their customer service is between
    > dealerships, they are both good companies, and good bikes, so it really comes down to what feels
    > better for you. You won't lose no matter what choice you make.

    I agree.

    They are both good manufacturers.

    IMHO the Giants tend to have better spec bits for the money, but the Specialized frames seem better
    - you get what you pay for at the end of the day. You can always upgrade components later, but you
    are stuck with the frame.

    I would say ride them both and choose the one which feels best, but then again you need to grow into
    a bike, so it isn't always the best advice.

    At the end of the day you may have to toss a coin to decide.

    Maybe you can use the indecision to your advantage, and buy from the dealer who will give you the
    best deal - or the daealer who will fix it best when you bend it . . .

    Twohat (who probably has been no help at all)

  8. James Davis wrote:
    > I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300. So far after some
    > investigation I have narrowed it down to a Specialized Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any
    > opinions??? I shall be testing both, but would like a heads up from someone experienced with these
    > things..

    www.mtbr.com

    Either one should be okay.

    Regards

    Bruno

  9. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    "Twohat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "James Davis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Hey...
    > > >
    > > > I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...
    > > >
    > > > I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300. So far after some
    > > > investigation I have narrowed it down to a Specialized Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any
    > > > opinions??? I shall be testing both,
    > but
    > > > would like a heads up from someone experienced with these things..
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance
    > > >
    > > > James
    > >
    > > Even being a Giant owner, and one who has experienced how great their customer service is
    > > between dealerships, they are both good companies, and good bikes, so it really comes down to
    > > what feels better for you. You won't lose no matter what choice you make.
    >
    > I agree.
    >
    > They are both good manufacturers.
    >
    > IMHO the Giants tend to have better spec bits for the money, but the Specialized frames seem
    > better - you get what you pay for at the end of the day. You can always upgrade components later,
    > but you are stuck with the frame.
    >
    > I would say ride them both and choose the one which feels best, but then again you need to grow
    > into a bike, so it isn't always the best advice.
    >
    > At the end of the day you may have to toss a coin to decide.
    >
    > Maybe you can use the indecision to your advantage, and buy from the dealer who will give you the
    > best deal - or the daealer who will fix it best when you bend it . . .
    >
    > Twohat (who probably has been no help at all)

    Here's just another example of how Giant makes getting into off roading more affordable........http-
    ://www.giantbicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?bikesection=8832&lYear=2003

    Price...$430. The Suntour fork isn't anything to brag about, but how about those brakes? You could
    really enjoy learning and upgrading that frame.

  10. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "iddqdATworldonline.dk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > James Davis wrote:
    > > I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300. So far after some
    > > investigation I have narrowed it down to a Specialized Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any
    > > opinions??? I shall be testing both,
    but
    > > would like a heads up from someone experienced with these things..
    > >
    > www.mtbr.com

    I *don't* recommend MTBR.com. I used to haunt MTBR before the fools rushed
    in. The prices asked for beaten-up bikes are just unbelievable. And frames? C'mon people! It's just
    insane. The prices are 2x to 3x reasonable (read: eBay)

    I was heavily trading on MTBR the first couple of years; but it's nothing like it used to be. I have
    tried a few times to find a deal; but eBay kicks its sorry butt, on every score.

    The MTBR search system stinks. There are so many stupid, uncategorized "featured" items that any
    search is likely to take a very long time to sort out. MTBR's classified section is a pale imitation
    of what it once was, and a waste of time, IMO.

    Barry

  11. James Davis

    James Davis Guest

    Thanks allot for all your help here people. Much Appreciated.

    I shall be riding both the bikes this week and shall let you all know my outcome, although im kinda
    leaning towards the specialized for the better frame.. hmmm..

    Thanks once again..

    James

  12. On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:05:21 +0100, "Twohat" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > but the Specialized frames seem better

    Better how?

    Barry

  13. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "James Davis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hey...
    >
    > I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...
    >
    > I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300. So far after some
    > investigation I have narrowed it down to a Specialized Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any
    > opinions???

    Whichever one fits the best.

    JD

  14. Twohat

    Twohat Guest

    "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <Keep it in the [email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:05:21 +0100, "Twohat" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > > but the Specialized frames seem better
    >
    > Better how?
    >
    > Barry

    Dunno about the models quoted, but my Rockhopper has some bracing around the head, which the same
    price Giant doesn't. Giants costing quite a bit more do have it. And when I bought my Rockhopper I
    was given a lifetime guarantee for the frame. I asked the dealer what it covered and he said normal
    use. I said normal use for a mountain bike is throwing it down mountains and bashing it off rocks.
    He said Yeah thats fine, just don't try to claim if you drive over it with your car. When I bought a
    brace of Giants for my daughters the dealer was very vague about the frame guarantee, and there
    certainly wasn't any lifetime guarantee quoted in any of the documentation.

    I realise that doesn't necessarily make the Specialized frame any better than the Giant, and I don't
    know about other models in either manufacturer's range, its just a subjective opinion based on my
    limited experience.

    But then, what do I know?

  15. D.Lawrie

    D.Lawrie Guest

    "James Davis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey...
    >
    > I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...
    >
    > I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300. So far after some
    > investigation I have narrowed it down to a Specialized Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any
    > opinions??? I shall be testing both,
    but
    > would like a heads up from someone experienced with these things..
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > James

    Th red and white Yukon looks wicked this year..seems like a good bike for the money.

    Cam

  16. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    "Twohat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <Keep it in the [email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:05:21 +0100, "Twohat" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > > > but the Specialized frames seem better
    > >
    > > Better how?
    > >
    > > Barry
    > >

    > Dunno about the models quoted, but my Rockhopper has some bracing around the head, which the same
    > price Giant doesn't. Giants costing quite a bit more do have it. And when I bought my Rockhopper I
    > was given a lifetime guarantee for the frame. I asked the dealer what it covered and he said
    > normal use. I said normal use for a mountain bike is throwing it down mountains and bashing it off
    > rocks. He said Yeah thats fine, just don't try to claim if you drive over it with your car. When I
    > bought a brace of Giants for my daughters the dealer was very vague about the frame guarantee, and
    > there certainly wasn't any lifetime guarantee quoted in any of the documentation.
    >
    > I realise that doesn't necessarily make the Specialized frame any better than the Giant, and I
    > don't know about other models in either manufacturer's range, its just a subjective opinion based
    > on my limited experience.
    >
    > But then, what do I know?

    Giant has a well documented history of placing broken frames, with little or no questions asked,
    with a higher end frame.

  17. B. Sanders wrote:
    > I *don't* recommend MTBR.com. I used to haunt MTBR before the fools rushed
    > in. The prices asked for beaten-up bikes are just unbelievable. And frames? C'mon people! It's
    > just insane. The prices are 2x to 3x reasonable (read: eBay)

    Eh, I wasn't suggesting to buy anything on www.mtbr.com but merely suggesting to check out the
    reviews of the bikes in question.

    James didn't ask were to buy but for other peoples experiences with the bikes.

    Kind regards

    Bruno

  18. Hosh

    Hosh Guest

    James Davis wrote:

    > Hey...
    >
    > I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...
    >
    > I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300.

    Raleigh. More bike for the buck.

  19. On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:36:20 GMT, Hosh <[email protected]> wrote:

    >James Davis wrote:
    >
    >> Hey...
    >>
    >> I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...
    >>
    >> I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300.
    >
    >Raleigh. More bike for the buck.

    I work in a shop that sells Raleigh and Giant,along with about 10 other brands.

    While Raleigh does give excellent bang for the buck, Giant sometimes does them one better. We've
    even had reps that peddle other brands come in and get pretty impressed with the spec on some
    Giant models.

    Barry

  20. Raleigh bikes have real nice kickstands.