Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Giant Perigee or Trek 1200 FlatBar

Started by Yuri Budilov · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,914 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
11 February 2004
Last activity
12 February 2004
Original author
Yuri Budilov
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,914
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. hello

    any opinions on these bikes?

    I have a friend who has a bad back but otherwise semi-experienced rider, several years back. He
    wants to ride on the road for fun and fitness but finds a low seating position on his 10-year-old
    road bike very uncomfortable.....

    So a road-hybrid bike with a flat handle bar like a Giant Perigee or Trek 1200 Flat Bar is being
    considered.....

    Any opinions on these newer type of a hyper-hybrid?

    thanks in advance

  2. Hi Yuri

    I recently made a similar post enquiring about these flat-bar road bikes. I have since bought the Specialized Sirrus sport bike. Overrall a good bike, it is very light and capable of reaching high speeds close to that of a low-end road bike. If your friend is more comfortable with the upright MTB position and will be riding mainly on roads then I do suggest such a bike.

    However two notes on these bikes:
    Most of these bikes will have an assortment of components from different groupsets. For example my bike has a Tiagra (road) rear derailer, MTB gear levers and Hybrid designed front derailer. I think the Giant Perigee has more consistant Tiagra groupset, with the exception of the gear levers. However I believe the Perigee is more heavier than the equivalent Avanti Blade and Sirrus bikes (correct me if I'm wrong).

    The second note is if it is intended for a long ride (say the best part of a day), then the absence of positions on a road bike will be uncomfortable, evnt with bar ends (I find bar ends only useful for changing from the standard position momentarily and for hills).

    Cheers

    Cam

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Yuri Budilov
    hello

    any opinions on these bikes?

    I have a friend who has a bad back but otherwise semi-experienced rider, several years back. He
    wants to ride on the road for fun and fitness but finds a low seating position on his 10-year-old
    road bike very uncomfortable.....

    So a road-hybrid bike with a flat handle bar like a Giant Perigee or Trek 1200 Flat Bar is being
    considered.....

    Any opinions on these newer type of a hyper-hybrid?

    thanks in advance

  3. 1. My personal preference would be the Trek.

    2. IMO, none of these bikes are going to help with a weak/bad back.

    3. What your friend needs is an elevated handle-bar level, so the sitting position is not aggressive. The flat handle bar road/sport bikes are still going to have the aggressive posture.

    If the old bike is worth it, I'd be inclined to simply raise the handle bar.

    Cheers,
    Amir.

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Yuri Budilov
    hello

    any opinions on these bikes?

    I have a friend who has a bad back but otherwise semi-experienced rider, several years back. He
    wants to ride on the road for fun and fitness but finds a low seating position on his 10-year-old
    road bike very uncomfortable.....

    So a road-hybrid bike with a flat handle bar like a Giant Perigee or Trek 1200 Flat Bar is being
    considered.....

    Any opinions on these newer type of a hyper-hybrid?

    thanks in advance

  4. Cameron,

    I thank you very much for your answer.

    I wonder if there are other solutions to those with a bad back but still want to ride a proper road
    bike? Anyone?

    thanks again

    "cameronn" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Yuri Budilov said:

    hello any opinions on these bikes? I have a friend who has a bad back but otherwise semi-
    experienced


    rider,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    several years back. He wants to ride on the road for fun and fitness


    but

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    finds a low seating position on his 10-year-old road bike very uncomfortable..... So a road-
    hybrid bike with a flat handle bar like a Giant Perigee or Trek 1200 Flat Bar is being
    considered..... Any opinions on these newer type of a hyper-hybrid? thanks in advance

    Hi Yuri

    I recently made a similar post enquiring about these flat-bar road bikes. I have since bought the
    Specialized Sirrus sport bike. Overrall a good bike, it is very light and capable of reaching high
    speeds close to that of a low-end road bike. If your friend is more comfortable with the upright
    MTB position and will be riding mainly on roads then I do suggest such a bike.

    However two notes on these bikes: Most of these bikes will have an assortment of components from
    different groupsets. For example my bike has a Tiagra (road) rear derailer, MTB gear levers and
    Hybrid designed front derailer. I think the Giant Perigee has more consistant Tiagra groupset,
    with the exception of the gear levers. However I believe the Perigee is more heavier than the
    equivalent Avanti Blade and Sirrus bikes (correct me if I'm wrong).

    The second note is if it is intended for a long ride (say the best part of a day), then the
    absence of positions on a road bike will be uncomfortable, evnt with bar ends (I find bar ends
    only useful for changing from the standard position momentarily and for hills).

    Cheers

    Cam

    --

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.