Giant Perigee or Trek 1200 FlatBar

yuri budilov

Guest
hello

any opinions on these bikes?

I have a friend who has a bad back but otherwise semi-experienced rider,
several years back. He wants to ride on the road for fun and fitness but
finds a low seating position on his 10-year-old road bike very
uncomfortable.....

So a road-hybrid bike with a flat handle bar like a Giant Perigee or Trek
1200 Flat Bar is being considered.....

Any opinions on these newer type of a hyper-hybrid?

thanks in advance

Yuri Budilov wrote:
> hello
> any opinions on these bikes?
> I have a friend who has a bad back but otherwise semi-experienced rider,
> several years back. He wants to ride on the road for fun and fitness but
> finds a low seating position on his 10-year-old road bike very
> uncomfortable.....
> So a road-hybrid bike with a flat handle bar like a Giant Perigee or
> Trek 1200 Flat Bar is being considered.....
> Any opinions on these newer type of a hyper-hybrid?
> thanks in advance

1. My personal preference would be the Trek.

2. IMO, none of these bikes are going to help with a weak/bad back.

3. What your friend needs is an elevated handle-bar level, so the
sitting position is not aggressive. The flat handle bar road/sport
bikes are still going to have the aggressive posture.

If the old bike is worth it, I'd be inclined to simply raise the
handle bar.

Cheers, Amir.

--

Yuri Budilov wrote:
> hello
> any opinions on these bikes?
> I have a friend who has a bad back but otherwise semi-experienced rider,
> several years back. He wants to ride on the road for fun and fitness but
> finds a low seating position on his 10-year-old road bike very
> uncomfortable.....
> So a road-hybrid bike with a flat handle bar like a Giant Perigee or
> Trek 1200 Flat Bar is being considered.....
> Any opinions on these newer type of a hyper-hybrid?
> thanks in advance

Hi Yuri

I recently made a similar post enquiring about these flat-bar road
bikes. I have since bought the Specialized Sirrus sport bike. Overrall a
good bike, it is very light and capable of reaching high speeds close to
that of a low-end road bike. If your friend is more comfortable with the
upright MTB position and will be riding mainly on roads then I do
suggest such a bike.

However two notes on these bikes: Most of these bikes will have an
assortment of components from different groupsets. For example my bike
has a Tiagra (road) rear derailer, MTB gear levers and Hybrid designed
front derailer. I think the Giant Perigee has more consistant Tiagra
groupset, with the exception of the gear levers. However I believe the
Perigee is more heavier than the equivalent Avanti Blade and Sirrus
bikes (correct me if I'm wrong).

The second note is if it is intended for a long ride (say the best part
of a day), then the absence of positions on a road bike will be
uncomfortable, evnt with bar ends (I find bar ends only useful for
changing from the standard position momentarily and for hills).

Cheers

Cam

--

Cameron,

I thank you very much for your answer.

I wonder if there are other solutions to those with a bad back but still
want to ride a proper road bike? Anyone?

thanks again

news:[email protected]...