Giant Perigee or Trek 1200 FlatBar

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by yuri budilov, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. yuri budilov

    yuri budilov Guest

    hello

    any opinions on these bikes?

    I have a friend who has a bad back but otherwise semi-experienced rider,
    several years back. He wants to ride on the road for fun and fitness but
    finds a low seating position on his 10-year-old road bike very
    uncomfortable.....

    So a road-hybrid bike with a flat handle bar like a Giant Perigee or Trek
    1200 Flat Bar is being considered.....

    Any opinions on these newer type of a hyper-hybrid?

    thanks in advance

    Tags:

  2. amirm

    amirm Guest

    Yuri Budilov wrote:
    > hello
    > any opinions on these bikes?
    > I have a friend who has a bad back but otherwise semi-experienced rider,
    > several years back. He wants to ride on the road for fun and fitness but
    > finds a low seating position on his 10-year-old road bike very
    > uncomfortable.....
    > So a road-hybrid bike with a flat handle bar like a Giant Perigee or
    > Trek 1200 Flat Bar is being considered.....
    > Any opinions on these newer type of a hyper-hybrid?
    > thanks in advance

    1. My personal preference would be the Trek.

    2. IMO, none of these bikes are going to help with a weak/bad back.

    3. What your friend needs is an elevated handle-bar level, so the
    sitting position is not aggressive. The flat handle bar road/sport
    bikes are still going to have the aggressive posture.

    If the old bike is worth it, I'd be inclined to simply raise the
    handle bar.

    Cheers, Amir.

    --

  3. cameronn

    cameronn Guest

    Yuri Budilov wrote:
    > hello
    > any opinions on these bikes?
    > I have a friend who has a bad back but otherwise semi-experienced rider,
    > several years back. He wants to ride on the road for fun and fitness but
    > finds a low seating position on his 10-year-old road bike very
    > uncomfortable.....
    > So a road-hybrid bike with a flat handle bar like a Giant Perigee or
    > Trek 1200 Flat Bar is being considered.....
    > Any opinions on these newer type of a hyper-hybrid?
    > thanks in advance

    Hi Yuri

    I recently made a similar post enquiring about these flat-bar road
    bikes. I have since bought the Specialized Sirrus sport bike. Overrall a
    good bike, it is very light and capable of reaching high speeds close to
    that of a low-end road bike. If your friend is more comfortable with the
    upright MTB position and will be riding mainly on roads then I do
    suggest such a bike.

    However two notes on these bikes: Most of these bikes will have an
    assortment of components from different groupsets. For example my bike
    has a Tiagra (road) rear derailer, MTB gear levers and Hybrid designed
    front derailer. I think the Giant Perigee has more consistant Tiagra
    groupset, with the exception of the gear levers. However I believe the
    Perigee is more heavier than the equivalent Avanti Blade and Sirrus
    bikes (correct me if I'm wrong).

    The second note is if it is intended for a long ride (say the best part
    of a day), then the absence of positions on a road bike will be
    uncomfortable, evnt with bar ends (I find bar ends only useful for
    changing from the standard position momentarily and for hills).

    Cheers

    Cam

    --

  4. yuri budilov

    yuri budilov Guest

    Cameron,

    I thank you very much for your answer.

    I wonder if there are other solutions to those with a bad back but still
    want to ride a proper road bike? Anyone?

    thanks again

    news:[email protected]