Giant question...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Steve, Jan 4, 2006.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Could anyone tell me whether the brakes fitted to an OCR1 and OCR3 are the
    same? I bought some secondhand OCR1 ones off ebay, and they're identical,
    and cr*p.

    2003 if it makes any difference.

    Tags:

  2. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Steve
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Could anyone tell me whether the brakes fitted to an OCR1 and OCR3 are
    > the same? I bought some secondhand OCR1 ones off ebay, and they're
    > identical, and cr*p.
    >
    > 2003 if it makes any difference.

    Don't know about 03, but 04 OCR1 had Campag Mirage. That's second from
    the bottom of Campagnolo's range, but Campag don't make crap. I'd be
    enormously surprised if any OCR3 ever came with Campag brakes, because
    at that price point there's no way Giant could afford to fit them.

    to err is human, to lisp divine
    ;; attributed to Kim Philby, oddly enough.

  3. Steve wrote:
    > Could anyone tell me whether the brakes fitted to an OCR1 and OCR3 are the
    > same? I bought some secondhand OCR1 ones off ebay, and they're identical,
    > and cr*p.
    >
    > 2003 if it makes any difference.

    You can find the specs of Giant's bike back to 2001 on
    their website - here's a link to the 2003 OCR range:

    http://www.giantbicycle.com/uk/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?year=2003&range=69

    The 2003 OCR1 should have Shimano 105, the 2003 OCR3 should have
    Tektro Dual Pivot 39-49mm. Both should be good enough brakes, what
    are your brake pads like as that can make a lot of difference ?

    I have a 2003 OCR2 and its got Shimano Tiagra brakes which are fine,
    they got even better when I fitted Ultegra brake pads though...

    Doug

  4. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 08:04:01 +0000, Douglas Steel wrote:

    > Steve wrote:
    >> Could anyone tell me whether the brakes fitted to an OCR1 and OCR3 are the
    >> same? I bought some secondhand OCR1 ones off ebay, and they're identical,
    >> and cr*p.
    >>
    >> 2003 if it makes any difference.

    > You can find the specs of Giant's bike back to 2001 on
    > their website - here's a link to the 2003 OCR range:
    >
    > http://www.giantbicycle.com/uk/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?year=2003&range=69

    Many thanks. That helps heaps!

    > The 2003 OCR1 should have Shimano 105, the 2003 OCR3 should have
    > Tektro Dual Pivot 39-49mm. Both should be good enough brakes, what
    > are your brake pads like as that can make a lot of difference ?

    It's the Tektro ones I've now got 2 sets of... all the chrome falls
    off after about a year so they look cr*p as well!. I've upgraded the
    pads to DuraAce, so they should be ok!

    > I have a 2003 OCR2 and its got Shimano Tiagra brakes which are fine,
    > they got even better when I fitted Ultegra brake pads though...
    >
    > Doug

    Part of the problem is that I'm well overweight and 25 years driving a
    computer without ever learning to type properly has left me a bit
    arthritic as well. However, when I dare to get my Softride out, which is
    DA throughout, I can stop fine.

    Maybe I con do something with the rime ( Alexrims DA13 whoever they are )
    to improve the grip, or maybe I should get a decent set of wheels instead :)

    Thanks for the info,

    Steve

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > Maybe I con do something with the rime ( Alexrims DA13 whoever they are )
    > to improve the grip, or maybe I should get a decent set of wheels instead :)

    Get a decent set of brake pads - a much cheaper solution. As someone
    else said, Dura Ace pads are OK but the ones everyone recommends are
    the salmon coloured Kool Stops available from Wiggle.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...Name=Brake Blocks&ProdID=5300005952&UberCat=0

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  6. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 09:11:11 +0000, Tony Raven wrote:

    > Steve wrote:
    >>
    >> Maybe I con do something with the rime ( Alexrims DA13 whoever they are )
    >> to improve the grip, or maybe I should get a decent set of wheels instead :)
    >>

    > Get a decent set of brake pads - a much cheaper solution. As someone
    > else said, Dura Ace pads are OK but the ones everyone recommends are
    > the salmon coloured Kool Stops available from Wiggle.
    > http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...Name=Brake Blocks&ProdID=5300005952&UberCat=0

    I think the postage down to NZ would cost more than the pads! I'll see if
    I can find some local ones.
    Cheers,

    Steve

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > I think the postage down to NZ would cost more than the pads! I'll
    > see if I can find some local ones. Cheers,

    Otherwise from NZ try Sheldon Brown who ships to cyclists all over the
    world.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  8. Doki

    Doki Guest

    "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]

    > Part of the problem is that I'm well overweight and 25 years driving a
    > computer without ever learning to type properly has left me a bit
    > arthritic as well. However, when I dare to get my Softride out, which is
    > DA throughout, I can stop fine.

    It's not adjustment is it? If Dual Pivots have too much cable slack (ie,
    pads more than a MM or two from the rim) then they're absolutely terrible.
    I'm running some freebie cannondale dual pivots (ta to that bloke off here,
    Pete I think) and they're great. Don't look special, but I can do stoppies
    on my road bike now ;).