Giant Rainier - '03 or wait for '04?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Peder, Sep 20, 2003.

  1. Peder

    Peder Guest

    I've seen and ridden the '04 Rainier and like it very much, but I can get the '03 for about $180
    less. What do you think? The main differences I can see are listed below. Apologies if the
    formatting doesn't fly... What do you think? Thanks for reading and any replies.

    03 04 -- -- Fork Manitou Axle Super Rock Shock Judy SL, U-Turn Crank Giant,
    22/32/42T TruVativ G-Comp, 22/32/44T Saddle Giant Groove WTB Speed V Rims Weinmann
    ZAC 19 Mavic X-139 Tires Hutchinson Mosquito Hutchinson Scorpion

    --
    Peder (Please reply to group only, email invalid)

    Tags:

  2. Mtbscottie

    Mtbscottie Guest

    >Subject: Giant Rainier - '03 or wait for '04? From: Peder [email protected] Date: 9/20/2003 7:35 AM Eastern
    >Daylight Time

    >I've seen and ridden the '04 Rainier and like it very much, but I can get the '03 for about $180
    >less. What do you think? The main differences I can see are listed below. Apologies if the
    >formatting doesn't fly... What do you think? Thanks for reading and any replies.
    >
    > 03 04
    > -- --
    > Fork Manitou Axle Super Rock Shock Judy SL, U-Turn
    > Crank Giant, 22/32/42T TruVativ G-Comp,
    22/32/44T
    >Saddle Giant Groove WTB Speed V Rims Weinmann ZAC 19 Mavic X-139 Tires Hutchinson Mosquito
    >Hutchinson Scorpion
    >
    >--
    >Peder (Please reply to group only, email invalid)

    Are you sure it's the 2004, or is it the Spring Collection model? The reason I asked is because
    Giant re released a number of different models this summer under the "Spring Collection" moniker and
    it sounds just like what you are describing.

    The Tru Vativ cranks are nice, but I've rode the Giant cranks without failure. If I would get either
    model, I'd ask to swap the fork out for a Marzocchi.

  3. Peder

    Peder Guest

    [email protected] (MTBScottie) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Are you sure it's the 2004, or is it the Spring Collection model? The reason I asked is because
    > Giant re released a number of different models this summer under the "Spring Collection" moniker
    > and it sounds just like what you are describing.
    >
    > The Tru Vativ cranks are nice, but I've rode the Giant cranks without failure. If I would get
    > either model, I'd ask to swap the fork out for a Marzocchi.

    Thanks for the reply. Well, they tagged it as '04 at the shop, but it shown at the Giant website as
    Spring (so Spring '04?). Which Marzocchi would you suggest? Thanks again.

    --
    Peder (Please reply to group only, email invalid)

  4. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    > [email protected] (MTBScottie) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > Are you sure it's the 2004, or is it the Spring Collection model? The reason I asked is because
    > > Giant re released a number of different models this summer under the "Spring Collection" moniker
    > > and it sounds just like what you are describing.
    > >
    > > The Tru Vativ cranks are nice, but I've rode the Giant cranks without failure. If I would get
    > > either model, I'd ask to swap the fork out for a Marzocchi.
    > >

    > Thanks for the reply. Well, they tagged it as '04 at the shop, but it shown at the Giant website
    > as Spring (so Spring '04?). Which Marzocchi would you suggest? Thanks again.

    Giant is once again trying to get away from the model year tags, though the public and the shops
    will likely drag them back again kicking and screaming.

    The "Spring Collection" are indeed technically 04 models, though they might be described as 03.5
    models as there could be some spec changes when (and
    if) the main catalog comes out.

    There is going to be some shakeup in the line-up this year. Both the Warp and NRS lines are dropping
    to two models, doing away with one of the most popular price points I've seen, the NRS 2 with disc
    brakes. The NRS 2 now is a slightly upgraded NRS 3 from years past, with LX/Deore shifting and
    V-brakes (fine by me, but folks want mechanical Disc!)

    Just go to Giant's website and you'll see just what they're focusing on. Don't think I want to take
    a Revive on dirt (though I'd sure like to have one in my Fleet!)

    ---
    International Bicycle 5326 E Independence Blvd Charlotte, NC 28212 704 535-5501

    Release Date: 9/11/03