Giant rainier for 600 or xtc2?

abmw

Jun 30, 2004
I am a total newbie to the sport and had a two part question regarding the rainier. 1) Is the Rainier a good bike despite the lower end shock 2)Should I get the Giant Rainier for $600 or pay more for a XTC2. I imagine i can get the xtc2 for about 900 out the door.

I have read the reviews and peoples comment and in general it seems that people think the rainier is a good bike. The one that i am looking at is the 2004 that comes with the judy sl u turn. I read the reviews for the judys and they dont seem very good. Will i be able to notice the difference between different forks since i am a total beginner. I plan on riding easy trails for now since i am totally out of shape.The bike is intended to get me back in shape plus its something i alwasys wanted to try.

Thanks

Originally posted by abmw
I am a total newbie to the sport and had a two part question regarding the rainier. 1) Is the Rainier a good bike despite the lower end shock 2)Should I get the Giant Rainier for $600 or pay more for a XTC2. I imagine i can get the xtc2 for about 900 out the door.

I have read the reviews and peoples comment and in general it seems that people think the rainier is a good bike. The one that i am looking at is the 2004 that comes with the judy sl u turn. I read the reviews for the judys and they dont seem very good. Will i be able to notice the difference between different forks since i am a total beginner. I plan on riding easy trails for now since i am totally out of shape.The bike is intended to get me back in shape plus its something i alwasys wanted to try.

Thanks

Hi abmw.

Both of those bikes are excellent bikes. The shock on the Rainier is bouncy which is something racers don't like. However as a beginner you may find you actually prefer it since it will have a softer feel.

The biggest differences between the two bikes are the front fork and the weight. The XTC2 is a low-end racer so it's catered to a racing setup.

As a beginner I think you'd find the rainier is a lot of bike. It weighs more but it also has a more solid feel.

Enjoy making your purchase. Shopping is part of the fun. :)