Giant Rapid 1 vs Trek 7.6 fx

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by smyrnachuck, Nov 7, 2010.

1. smyrnachuck

smyrnachuck New Member

Does anyone have experience with either of these bikes? I currently have a walmart Schwinn hybrid that I am using for everything commuting and exercising. I have had it for 6 months doing about 150 miles a week commuting three days a week to work and exercising 7 fays a week. I have lost 80 lbs since February with it. But U have got the goody out of it and need to upgrade. I have hi a wall at about 60 miles My goal is to do a "double" century,. When i hit 100 lbs weight loss I want top celebrate with a century/ I am an old fart,64 and not into drop bars. I had been considering a Trek 7.6 fx. My hesitation is non of the area dealers have one to test ride. They said they would measure me on a similar 7.2 or 7.3 and order one for me. I just hesitate to buy a $1200 bike without riding it first Last week I met this guy who lives down the street from me he had just purchased a Rapid 1 and said he loved it He is about my size and let me take it out for about 1/2 an hour. I fell in love with the feel and ride It is so much more responsive] than my bike.
    So yesterday I went to the LBS that handles them. He had one on the floor that he just sold. It lists for 1100 vs 1239 for trek. He was actually interested in selling me on the bike. He has offered a 3month layaway plan for me _also added a wireless computer upgraded tires and some l bar ends for 1,000. Plus a full year of tune ups plus free labor past the normal 90 days on the warranty. I am just about sold The components of the Giant actually seem to be a little better and more "roadie" than the Trek. Any opinions would be welcome. Thanx.

Tags:

2. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

The Giant Rapid range is very much more a road bike with a flat handlebar, while the FX is more of a hybrid geometry. While I think very highly of the Trek FX range, I think in your case the Rapid is a better choice. The more nimble handling, sportier ride, and road-orient drivetrain of the Rapid are elements you will appreciate as you work toward your goal. Good luck.

3. smyrnachuck

smyrnachuck New Member

Thanks:0 I came to the same decision. I just got my Rapid 1 last week and love it. It si sionimble and responsive,. I didupgrade the tires to fatorskins and have put on somne liong l bars for another hand position. I cannot get over the buig difference over my old schwinn hybrid. I have dual llatform, clipless sod pedals and have some spd road shoes on orfer I am sure that will really make a much bigger difference in my rfficiency too. I pl;an on doing a 100k next week then in a few months my true doublw century 100 muiles to celebrate 100lbs lost!