Giant Revive

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Joe, Jun 18, 2003.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I've never owned a recumbent and I am considering buying a Giant Revive. Does anyone have an opinion
    on this bike? Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > I've never owned a recumbent and I am considering buying a Giant Revive. Does anyone have an
    > opinion on this bike? Thanks

    My opinion is that it is not a 'real' recumbent. More like a relaxed diamond frame.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    I agree. Before you buy, ride a real recumbent (or several, esp. the lower BB styles) and compare.
    You'd do better (and spend less) with an EZ-1 (by Sun Co.), for a starter 'bent.

    C.C.

    > From: Cletus Lee <[email protected]> Newsgroups: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003
    > 11:16:14 -0500 Subject: Re: Giant Revive

    >> I've never owned a recumbent and I am considering buying a Giant Revive. Does anyone have an
    >> opinion on this bike? Thanks
    >>
    > My opinion is that it is not a 'real' recumbent. More like a relaxed diamond frame.

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    Yes...avoid it.

    I had an opportunity on a recent state ride to take one for a spin. Reps from Giant were along showing off some of their stock. The Revive was among them.

    I would recommend that you ride as many as possible. I prefer a 26", 20" wheel setup but some achieve great speed on a 20" drive wheel.

    But buy a real recumbent rather than the El Camino of the bike world.

  5. If you buy the Giant Revive you will continue to not own a recumbent. The Revive is bent-like aka a
    semi-bent, but you'd be welcome on this Newsgroup reguardless (unless a new NG is created for
    Giant/Belize/Quetzal/RANS/AVD and KHS Semi-Bents)

    -------------
    "Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've never owned a recumbent and I am considering buying a Giant Revive. Does anyone have an
    > opinion on this bike? Thanks

  6. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    In article <jx3Ia.767$%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > ...but you'd be welcome on this Newsgroup reguardless (unless a new NG is created for
    > Giant/Belize/Quetzal/RANS/AVD and KHS Semi-Bents)
    Joe would still be welcome. After all someone still lets 'Fabrizio Mazzoleni' in to comment.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  7. no

    no Guest

    I generally admire Giant products, but one short ride left me convinced that the Rivive is a failed
    attempt. After an even shorter ride, my spouse, who thought is was cute, shared the same negative
    opinions about riding position, gearing, comfort, efficiency and handling.

    That said, there are likely those who love riding a Rivive.

    George

    >I've never owned a recumbent and I am considering buying a Giant Revive. Does anyone have an
    >opinion on this bike? Thanks

  8. Edward Wong

    Edward Wong Guest

    Carol Cohen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BB160A47.4D6FD%[email protected]>...
    > I agree. Before you buy, ride a real recumbent (or several, esp. the lower BB styles) and compare.
    > You'd do better (and spend less) with an EZ-1 (by Sun Co.), for a starter 'bent.

    Actually this is a direct reply to Seth. I could not reply to his post directly through Google for
    some reason.

    Anyway, Giant never stated that this is a "recumbent". It is more of a laid back comfort bike. Last
    week while visiting my LBS for service on my bike; there is a manager who is a 20 something MTB type
    of guy. He thought my Scooterbike looked really cool but asked me if I've seen the Giant Revive
    (they are Giant dealers) and I answered that I've only seen it in printed media and the website. He
    then proceeded to tell me that of all the "bent type" of bikes he's ever ridden (and trust me he's
    ridden most of them) he liked the Revive the most even above the EZ-1 which they sell quite a bit
    of. Maybe because it's (Revive) the most upright of them all. Go figure;-)

    Edward Wong Orlando, FL

  9. My reference to "Belize" didn't get anyone's attention...like you all know they are making a
    semi-bent now. It really could pass for a bent, it folds and is dirt cheap and no I didn't keep a
    link to the Belize Canada site.
    --------------------------------------
    "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In article <jx3Ia.767$%[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > > ...but you'd be welcome on this Newsgroup reguardless (unless a new NG is created for
    Giant/Belize/Quetzal/RANS/AVD
    > > and KHS Semi-Bents)
    > Joe would still be welcome. After all someone still lets 'Fabrizio
    Mazzoleni' in to comment.

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  10. Edward Wong

    Edward Wong Guest

    > My reference to "Belize" didn't get anyone's attention...like you all know they are making a
    > semi-bent now. It really could pass for a bent, it folds and is dirt cheap and no I didn't keep a
    > link to the Belize Canada site.

    The link is: http://www.belizebike.com Of all things they decided to call their semi bent "Easy
    Rider". Is this name overused or what?

    Edward Wong Orlando, FL

  11. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    > My reference to "Belize" didn't get anyone's attention...like you all know they are making a
    > semi-bent now. It really could pass for a bent, it folds and is dirt cheap and no I didn't keep a
    > link to the Belize Canada site.

    Ever heard of google? Here is the bike:

    http://www.aibq.com/belize/23186.html

    John Riley

  12. I live on Google John, just that at the time I wrote that diddy I was sleep deprived and not into
    looking up the link. I had gone to Free Agent for 4 days and nothing on my PC was working properly.
    Now I am back to O.E. and everything is working as it should...all except I seem to be sending out
    emails as Wile E, Coyote and posting here under Joshua Goldberg. I gotta straighten that out soon
    before I get a new American Express Card under the name Wile E. Coyote. Hmmm wonder how AmEx would
    collect from Wile E.?
    ----------------------------
    "john riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > My reference to "Belize" didn't get anyone's attention...like you all
    know
    > > they are making a semi-bent now. It really could pass for a bent, it
    folds
    > > and is dirt cheap and no I didn't keep a link to the Belize Canada site.
    >
    > Ever heard of google? Here is the bike:
    >
    > http://www.aibq.com/belize/23186.html
    >
    > John Riley

  13. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:rCEIa.3095$%[email protected]:

    > I live on Google John, just that at the time I wrote that diddy I was sleep deprived and not into
    > looking up the link. I had gone to Free Agent for 4 days and nothing on my PC was working
    > properly. Now I am back to O.E. and everything is working as it should...all except I seem to be
    > sending out emails as Wile E, Coyote and posting here under Joshua Goldberg. I gotta straighten
    > that out soon before I get a new American Express Card under the name Wile E. Coyote. Hmmm wonder
    > how AmEx would collect from Wile E.?

    Acme Collection Agency.

    --
    <A HREF="mailto:p[email protected][127.0.0.1]"

  14. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Joshua Goldberg wrote:

    > If you buy the Giant Revive you will continue to not own a recumbent. The Revive is bent-like aka
    > a semi-bent, but you'd be welcome on this Newsgroup reguardless (unless a new NG is created for
    > Giant/Belize/Quetzal/RANS/AVD and KHS Semi-Bents)

    Joahua,

    You forgot the ATP Vision V70 and V72 Thoroughbreds.

    What happened to "Wile E. Coyote"? Did AOL Time Warner's lawyers get after you for copyright
    infringement?

  15. I made the mistake of writing AVD when it should have been ATP...AVD being "Windcheetah" (not a
    semi-bent). No one caught my error including Bob Dixon at AVD.

    As for Wile E., seems I have a fan club in the USA I was not aware of (who) thought I died when the
    I.D. Joshua Goldberg stopped showing up here...on what seemed like an hourly basis.

    I have been trying to lose the surname Goldberg, it was my mother's Maiden name and after a major
    falling out with my dad when I was 19, I decided to stop using HIS surname as my way to get back at
    him. My dad and I (finally) reconciled and he agreed that it (was) okay to crack open the egg from
    the top and that his insane way of cracking open the egg from the bottom was not the best way.
    Neither of us eat eggs anymore because how to crack them open just stirred up painfull memories. You
    crack them open from the top btw and doing it any other way means you are a not a good Republican.

    Anyone notice "Bif Hitler" never shows up here anymore?

    > Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > >
    > > If you buy the Giant Revive you will continue to not own a recumbent.
    The
    > > Revive is bent-like aka a semi-bent, but you'd be welcome on this
    Newsgroup
    > > reguardless (unless a new NG is created for
    Giant/Belize/Quetzal/RANS/AVD
    > > and KHS Semi-Bents)
    >
    > Joahua,
    >
    > You forgot the ATP Vision V70 and V72 Thoroughbreds.
    >
    > What happened to "Wile E. Coyote"? Did AOL Time Warner's lawyers get after you for copyright
    > infringement?

  16. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Joshua Goldberg wrote:

    > I made the mistake of writing AVD when it should have been ATP...AVD being "Windcheetah" (not a
    > semi-bent). No one caught my error including Bob Dixon at AVD.
    >
    > As for Wile E., seems I have a fan club in the USA I was not aware of (who) thought I died when
    > the I.D. Joshua Goldberg stopped showing up here...on what seemed like an hourly basis.
    >
    > I have been trying to lose the surname Goldberg, it was my mother's Maiden name and after a major
    > falling out with my dad when I was 19, I decided to stop using HIS surname as my way to get back
    > at him. My dad and I (finally) reconciled and he agreed that it (was) okay to crack open the egg
    > from the top and that his insane way of cracking open the egg from the bottom was not the best
    > way. Neither of us eat eggs anymore because how to crack them open just stirred up painfull
    > memories. You crack them open from the top btw and doing it any other way means you are a not a
    > good Republican....

    Joshua,

    Do you agree on the important things such as the orientation of toilet paper rolls in the
    holder? [1]

    I crack eggs away from the ends to avoid being in either camp.

    [1] Park Tool has it right < http://www.parktool.com/tools/TP_2.shtml >.

  17. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    > My reference to "Belize" didn't get anyone's attention...like you all know they are making a
    > semi-bent now. It really could pass for a bent, it folds and is dirt cheap and no I didn't keep a
    > link to the Belize Canada site.

    And the Belize folding recumbent is called -- wait for this -- Easy Rider.

    C.C.

  18. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    FWIW Mark Langton from Giant wrote a letter to RCN (July issue) to say that the Revive has been well
    received at bike expos, and that it is selling well. He also says it is aimed at people who are
    currently not cycling.

    John Riley

    > I generally admire Giant products, but one short ride left me convinced that the Rivive is a
    > failed attempt. After an even shorter ride, my spouse, who thought is was cute, shared the same
    > negative opinions about riding position, gearing, comfort, efficiency and handling.
    >
    > That said, there are likely those who love riding a Rivive.
    >
    > George
    >
    > >I've never owned a recumbent and I am considering buying a Giant Revive. Does anyone have an
    > >opinion on this bike? Thanks

  19. ReviveRider

    ReviveRider New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2003
    This thread is probably dead, but I thought I'd reply anyway. I took a chance on the Revive after test riding it in June. I've had the bike now all season, so here's my observations...

    A. The bike is comfortable. After years of commuting to work my neck and shoulders were giving out. I wanted something comfortable that would allow me to enjoy riding again... The Revive seems to work for me. Darn near everything is adjustable: seat post, lumbar support, headset, and hinged frame. And I love the view the head-up seating position provides on rural/rail trail rides.

    B. Handling is OK. The longer I ride it (had it since late June) the better I've become with tight turns on urban bike paths and obstacles. Now toward the end of August, I feel as though standard bikes handle awkwardly... go figure.

    C. It's heavy. Lots of aluminum on this bike. Even before I left the LBS, I had the techs remove the wheel covers, fenders, and chainguard. Maybe four or so pounds were shed from just that. I have other ideas such as sawing off extra seat tubing (I'm only 5' 9") and lopping off the back part of the frame with the integrated rack.

    D. For long rides the small 20" wheels make you work a little harder, but the semi-bent position is so comfortable for me that I don't seem to mind... However, the single chain ring, 8-speed combined with the bent position is killing me on some of the small, steep, nasty hills here in the Ozarks. I'm taking this machine out for the MS 150 in Sept. and that's my main worry. The bike is loads of fun on level, rolling roads with shallow grades, but a bear on the hills. Max speed is certainly less, but I'm not *that* much slower than the roadies.

    E. It's goofy looking and cool looking at the same time... colleagues call it the two-wheeled hospital bed, while younger folks and kids always call out "cool bike!"

    In sum, it's working out pretty well for me. I've had some problems with the chain jumping off during shifting on downhills and straightaways, but so far this bike has gotten me back into biking again. Before the Revive I rode only 6-8 miles every other day. Now I enjoy 10, 20, and 30 mile rides. I had my first 56 mile training ride last weekend, and she did OK. I have to say "OK" because it's not meant to be a performance bike.

    I’ll be happy to entertain any questions concerning this odd, semi-bent mule. I’d love to hear from other Revive riders too.

    DR

    [email protected]
    ReviveRider

  20. John

    John Guest

    About a month ago my wife got a Revive DX and has found it to be a pleasant form of transportation.
    With severe arthritis in both knees she was unconcerned about perfomance, but wanted comfort and
    fun. The DX model has rear suspension and a built-in computer but only 7 speeds and while that's all
    right for here in flat southern Michigan I know she won't be doing much hill climbing on it. The
    bike is surprisingly heavy as you found out, but I haven't gone to the extreme of removing
    parts...yet. Overall, it suits her needs and my only major complaint is the lack of a real owners's
    manual, since this bike has lots of uncommon parts and a visit to the Giant website yields nothing
    of help. Pleasant pedaling!