Giant Revive

ReviveRider <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Joe wrote:
> > I've never owned a recumbent and I am considering buying a Giant Revive. Does anyone have an
> > opinion on this bike? Thanks
>
> This thread is probably dead, but I thought I'd reply anyway. I took a chance on the Revive after
> test riding it in June. I've had the bike now all season, so here's my observations...
>
> A. The bike is comfortable. After years of commuting to work my neck and shoulders were giving
> out. I wanted something comfortable that would allow me to enjoy riding again... The Revive
> seems to work for me. Darn near everything is adjustable: seat post, lumbar support, headset,
> and hinged frame. And I love the view the head-up seating position provides on rural/rail trail
> rides.
>
> B. Handling is OK. The longer I ride it (had it since late June) the better I've become with tight
> turns on urban bike paths and obstacles. Now toward the end of August, I feel as though
> standard bikes handle awkwardly... go figure.
>
> C. It's heavy. Lots of aluminum on this bike. Even before I left the LBS, I had the techs remove
> the wheel covers, fenders, and chainguard. Maybe four or so pounds were shed from just that. I
> have other ideas such as sawing off extra seat tubing (I'm only 5' 9") and lopping off the back
> part of the frame with the integrated rack.
>
> D. For long rides the small 20" wheels make you work a little harder, but the semi-bent position
> is so comfortable for me that I don't seem to mind... However, the single chain ring, 8-speed
> combined with the bent position is killing me on some of the small, steep, nasty hills here in
> the Ozarks. I'm taking this machine out for the MS 150 in Sept. and that's my main worry. The
> bike is loads of fun on level, rolling roads with shallow grades, but a bear on the hills. Max
> speed is certainly less, but I'm not *that* much slower than the roadies.
>
> E. It's goofy looking and cool looking at the same time... colleagues call it the two-wheeled
> hospital bed, while younger folks and kids always call out "cool bike!"
>
> In sum, it's working out pretty well for me. I've had some problems with the chain jumping off
> during shifting on downhills and straightaways, but so far this bike has gotten me back into
> biking again. Before the Revive I rode only 6-8 miles every other day. Now I enjoy 10, 20, and 30
> mile rides. I had my first 56 mile training ride last weekend, and she did OK. I have to say "OK"
> because it's not meant to be a performance bike.
>
> I?ll be happy to entertain any questions concerning this odd, semi-bent mule. I?d love to hear
> from other Revive riders too.
>
> DR
>
> [email protected] ReviveRider

ReviveRider, John, et al:

Soon I will be a Revive owner as well. Mine is a red standard Revive and it's on order. I tested
both the DX and the standard model several weeks ago. I found the standard model to be slightly more
efficient and consequently faster. This is because of some mechanical loss in the Nexus internal hub
found on the DX. It's not a big deal if say both bikes will be ridden at moderate speeds (10-12 mph)
but once you get in the mid to upper teens, the more efficient derailler drivetrain will feel
better. The DX does have more of a "space age" look to it but the standard Revive won my heart.

I am an experienced bent rider having owned 7 recumbents in less than 5 years. What am I doing
buying a semi recumbent that some people find not worthy of consideration? Well I find first of all
the comfort outstanding. A brief 1-2 minute parking lot ride will not do this bike justice. One
needs more than that to adjust the bike properly. Second of all the bike is really fun to ride. To
me it has most of the handling and balance of an upright along with the comfort of a recumbent. It
will handle loose surfaces just like an upright. I seen one of the bike shop employees ride the
standard Revive inside the store and actually track stand the bike while he was pushing a small box
out of the way to the side with the front wheel. That was cool to say the least! I would humbly say
that the bike performs very much like a run of the mill CLWB. It is at least as fast as my
ScooterBike and the Revive is overall higher geared so the top end potential is better.

ReviveRider, I have noticed that you've removed several accessories in an effort to reduce the
weight of the bike. I would however refrain from cutting the tailend of the frame. You won't save
much weight and it will probably invalidate your warrantee. I intend to keep the bike prestine from
the box. I am not concerned with weight and am a fairly strong rider. My ReBike weighs over 45
pounds and fast club rides are not an issue. I challenged myself to become physically stronger to
handle the greater weight. In addition I lost some weight off my body. Consider that a rider who
loses 12-13 pounds will make it seem like the Revive will weigh the same as a RANS Rocket. Now if
the rider is as skinny as they can get...well tough;-) Get stronger then!

If you did a 56 mile ride recently, pat yourself on the back;-) Most "weight weenies" will argue
that such a bike is not intended for rides of this length. My counter is if you're well trained and
the bike is comfortable, then it's possible to do centuries on it. So what if it takes an extra 45
minutes as long as it feels good. I wouldn't want to do a century on a faster bike only to find my
butt hurting at the 25 mile mark.

Well that's all my friends. Thanks for reading. Perhaps one day we can form a Yahoo Group for Revive
owners and exchange some pretty interesting "war stories";-)

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

Edward:

Thanks for your comments! I've been reluctent to "cut" up the bike further... I've thought about it, but I doubt I'll modify it anymore. (I agree that I'd forfeit the warranty if I do anything else to the bike... so I'm holding off.) I appreciate your encouragment and comments concerning strengthening and conditioning.

As I noted in my original post, I don't seem to mind the increased weight because I just feel far less fatigued and feel far less neck and shoulder irritation. Over the summer I've improved my strength and endurance, so I'm looking forward to a challenging but enjoyable MS 150 (my first) in about three weeks.

I hope you enjoy your new Revive and thanks again for your remarks!

David

ReviveRider

<snip>ReviveRider I've noticed that you've removed several accessories in an effort to reduce the
[...]

Edward Wong Orlando, FL [/B][/QUOTE] :)

ReviveRider <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Edward:
>
> Thanks for your comments! I've been reluctent to "cut" up the bike further... I've thought about
> it, but I doubt I'll modify it anymore. (I agree that I'd forfeit the warranty if I do anything
> else to the bike... so I'm holding off.) I appreciate your encouragment and comments concerning
> strengthening and conditioning.
>
> As I noted in my original post, I don't seem to mind the increased weight because I just feel far
> less fatigued and feel far less neck and shoulder irritation. Over the summer I've improved my
> strength and endurance, so I'm looking forward to a challenging but enjoyable MS 150 (my first) in
> about three weeks.
>
> I hope you enjoy your new Revive and thanks again for your remarks!
>
> David

David:

I thank you for your comments. Please keep us posted on your rides/Revive and let us know how the MS
150 went after you complete
it.

Happy trails, Edward Wong Orlando, FL

Just wanted to say hello to follow Revive users. I purchased my Revive DX about two weeks ago, and
have rode it everyday . It is a bit heavy, and a little akward to get on my bike rack sometimes, but
well worth the ride. I put a water bottle holder on the back above the seat on the left side and a
flashing tail light on the right. Also a head light on the handle bars. Steep hills can be a work
out, but so far so good. Well, I'm off to ride, take care all. dvderek St.Louis

[email protected] (dvderek) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Just wanted to say hello to follow Revive users. I purchased my Revive DX about two weeks ago, and
> have rode it everyday . It is a bit heavy, and a little akward to get on my bike rack sometimes,
> but well worth the ride. I put a water bottle holder on the back above the seat on the left side
> and a flashing tail light on the right. Also a head light on the handle bars. Steep hills can be a
> work out, but so far so good. Well, I'm off to ride, take care all. dvderek St.Louis

Hi, congrats on the DX! How did you mount the water bottle cage? I have a standard Revive on order
and currently commute on a ScooterBike. On the ScooterBike, the seat frame is exposed the last 6-7
inches towards the bottom before it bends forward into the assembly that supports the seat. It is
there that I've clamped two Minoura adapters designed for use where there are no braze ons, one on
each side to bolt my water bottle cages to. Looks good too;-) I was thinking of using the same
arrangement on the Revive when I get it. Seems like it will work just as well.

Keep us posted...welcome to our newsgroup;-)

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

How did you mount the water bottle cage?

I used two hose clamps. Mounted the cage from the center colum on the left side of the seat bar just
under the backrest. I'm thinking about setting up a Revive web page with photo's and links this
weekend if I have some time.

derek

[email protected] (dvderek) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> How did you mount the water bottle cage?
>
> I used two hose clamps. Mounted the cage from the center colum on the left side of the seat bar
> just under the backrest. I'm thinking about setting up a Revive web page with photo's and links
> this weekend if I have some time.
>
> derek

Cool!

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

Neat idea for attaching the waterbottles, Dv! I currently use Lone Peak’s RP-350 on the rear rack. Two water bottles easily fit (along with bike tools, spare tube, rain gear, pump, etc.). The Revive’s seating position allows me to just reach around, unzip the pack, and retrieve a water bottle while still riding.

Here’s Lone Peak’s website fyi: http://www.lonepeakpacks.com/rack.html

Take care,

David R.
ReviveRider

Originally posted by Dvderek
Just wanted to say hello to follow Revive users. I purchased my Revive DX about two weeks ago, and
have rode it everyday . It is a bit heavy, and a little akward to get on my bike rack sometimes, but
well worth the ride. I put a water bottle holder on the back above the seat on the left side and a
flashing tail light on the right. Also a head light on the handle bars. Steep hills can be a work
out, but so far so good. Well, I'm off to ride, take care all. dvderek St.Louis

> Neat idea for attaching the waterbottles, Dv! I currently use Lone Peak?s RP-350 on the rear rack.
> Two water bottles easily fit (along with bike tools, spare tube, rain gear, pump, etc.). The
> Revive?s seating position allows me to just reach around, unzip the pack, and retrieve a water
> bottle while still riding.
>
> Here?s Lone Peak?s website fyi: http://www.lonepeakpacks.com/rack.html
>
> Take care,
>
> David R. ReviveRider

David, that's a good looking rack trunk. I was wondering...does the bag clear the low overhang of
the seat post which seems to angle back quite a bit?

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

Originally posted by Joe
I've never owned a recumbent and I am considering buying a Giant Revive. Does anyone have an opinion
on this bike? Thanks
Hi there, All -

I am new to this group, and a new Revive Owner. I just bought mine Saturday and I have to say that I love it.

Some of the other folks are right, it is not a traditional recumbent. And, as some others have pointed out, it is not marketed by Giant as a recumbent. It is marketed as the ultimate comfort bike. And for me, it is.

I am 5'-11 and weigh around 265 lbs. I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes and have been looking for something to get me kickstarted back into a healthy lifestyle.

Enter the Giant Revive. The geometry is very comfortable, with my feet still below my center of gravity for what seems to allow me a little more "torque" than the traditional recumbent position. And, being a bit more up-right in my riding position allows me to feel more balanced and controlled. Admittedly, my weight might play a factor in some of these observations and not everyone will agree with me.

Having ridden the Revive now for a couple of days, I cannot think of any circumstance that would cause me to go back to a "diamond frame" or whatever you call a regular bike now :0)

Anyway, thanks for listening and I look forward to reading any and all responses, both "pro" and "con".

Thanks,
Clyde Powers

The angled seat post pushes the pack about an inch or two past the rear edge of the rack. Not enough to effect stability. The four velcro straps secure it on fine. The pack does shade the rear reflector though, so I clip a flasher onto the pack on evening rides.

ReviveRider

David, that's a good looking rack trunk. I was wondering...does the bag clear the low overhang of
the seat post which seems to angle back quite a bit?

Edward Wong Orlando, FL [/B]

David R.

ReviveRider

Originally posted by Clyde Powers
Hi there, All -

I am new to this group, and a new Revive Owner. I just bought mine Saturday and I have to say that I love it.
<snip>
Anyway, thanks for listening and I look forward to reading any and all responses, both "pro" and "con".

Thanks,
Clyde Powers

> Hi there, All -
>
> I am new to this group, and a new Revive Owner. I just bought mine Saturday and I have to say that
> I love it.
>
> Some of the other folks are right, it is not a traditional recumbent. And, as some others have
> pointed out, it is not marketed by Giant as a recumbent. It is marketed as the ultimate comfort
> bike. And for me, it is.
>
> I am 5'-11 and weigh around 265 lbs. I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes and have been
> looking for something to get me kickstarted back into a healthy lifestyle.
>
> Enter the Giant Revive. The geometry is very comfortable, with my feet still below my center of
> gravity for what seems to allow me a little more "torque" than the traditional recumbent position.
> And, being a bit more up-right in my riding position allows me to feel more balanced and
> controlled. Admittedly, my weight might play a factor in some of these observations and not
> everyone will agree with me.
>
> Having ridden the Revive now for a couple of days, I cannot think of any circumstance that would
> cause me to go back to a "diamond frame" or whatever you call a regular bike now :0)
>
> Anyway, thanks for listening and I look forward to reading any and all responses, both "pro"
> and "con".
>
> Thanks, Clyde Powers

Clyde,

Glad to have you with us. I will be picking up my Revive on September
12. If it had not been for some unforseen expenditures, I would be riding it this week. Oh
well..."Patience Grasshopper";-)

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

> The angled seat post pushes the pack about an inch or two past the rear edge of the rack. Not
> enough to effect stability. The four velcro straps secure it on fine. The pack does shade the rear
> reflector though, so I clip a flasher onto the pack on evening rides.
>
> ReviveRider

I found this rack bag on Bike Nashbar's website. It seems like it would work great on the limited
height clearance on the rack because it's a lower profile.

http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?category=66&subcategory=1005&storetype=&estoreid=&init=y

The above link may need to be re-assembled. It's the fifth one down.

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

The Giant Revive is definitely NOT a recumbent.

It, and the shiny new Gazelle Easy Rider (I think) are a type of bicycle not previously seen much beyond Holland and Germany.

It's a type of special needs bicycle for people who have difficulty lifting their legs up high enough to even ride a conventional ladies bike. As a direct result of the lower bottom bracket the seat is positioned further back for the correct leg length and that's where the back reast comes in as something to push against.

I took a piccie of a very similar bike but much older and I'll post it it the next issue of Byke Kultuur when I get the my photos developed, scanned and the fracky thing written.

Clyde Powers <[email protected]> wrote:

> Some of the other folks are right, it is not a traditional recumbent. And, as some others have
> pointed out, it is not marketed by Giant as a recumbent. It is marketed as the ultimate comfort
> bike. And for me, it is.

Well, today I took the chance for a short testride on a Dual Drive equipped Revive around the
neighbourhood of my LBS including some uphill and graveled sections.

To tell the truth, till today I was a bit sceptical about this bike, but this ride definitely
changed my point of view. It's actually fun to ride this bike. Sure it is heavy and not what I would
call a beauty, but it looks solid built and sturdy. I had no problems to ride it from the start. The
seat glides on rails and is easy to adjust via sort of quick release. You sit quite high on this
bike, but it's possible to plant the feet on the ground while sitting. The handlebar ist easy to
reach, no stretched_out_arm-position like on some CLWB's.

The seat seemed comfortable, at least for shorter rides and I don't think anyone will use the Revive
for long distance touring, looking at this bike, leasurely rides at moderate speed come to mind, and
for this purpose it seems to be a valuable solution.

I had no problems to ride uphill. While it was nearly impossible to stand up on the pedals, you can
lean forward and pull on the bars which will help to master steep (short) climbs.

Overall I think this bike could be a good choice for the not so experienced recreational cyclist who
wants a comfortable ride on a bike as close as possible to a conventional upright without the
geek-factor of a recumbent.

Kurt, who sees the Revive as kind of Missing Link between upright and recumbent

Seamus wrote:

> The Giant Revive is definitely NOT a recumbent.

Indeed. One of the ways we know this is because Giant repeatedly tell us so.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

[email protected] (Kurt Fischer) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Clyde Powers <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Some of the other folks are right, it is not a traditional recumbent. And, as some others have
> > pointed out, it is not marketed by Giant as a recumbent. It is marketed as the ultimate comfort
> > bike. And for me, it is.
>
> Well, today I took the chance for a short testride on a Dual Drive equipped Revive around the
> neighbourhood of my LBS including some uphill and graveled sections.

Hummm...Giant doesn't list a Dual Drive Revive at least in the US website. Are you outside of the
United States?

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

Edward Wong <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] (Kurt Fischer) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

> > Well, today I took the chance for a short testride on a Dual Drive equipped Revive around the
> > neighbourhood of my LBS including some uphill and graveled sections.
>
> Hummm...Giant doesn't list a Dual Drive Revive at least in the US website. Are you outside of the
> United States?

Yes, Germany, Bavaria to be exact. I was quite surprised to see the bikes at my LBS and even more
so as the owner told me he had already sold one. IIRC the Dual Drive model with a price of 850 Euro
had 3x8 gears, the cheaper model was equipped with an 8-speed-cluster, no internal gears, and went
for 650 Euro.

I didn't see wheel covers on either of them, but to be honest I didn't really miss them. The bikes
looked a lot lighter without them and I guess aerodynamics are not a major concern of most of the
targeted customers. ;-)

Kurt