Giant Revive

Originally posted by Dave Larrington
Seamus wrote:

> The Giant Revive is definitely NOT a recumbent.

Indeed. One of the ways we know this is because Giant repeatedly tell us so.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Hmmm...

It seems to me that there is a certain sensitivity over how the Revive is classified - whether as a recumbent, a semi-recumbent, a modified diamond frame, or none of the above, or all of the above.

Do I sense a certain degree of bike bigotry amongst some of our number? What if someone mistakingly refers to the Revive as a recumbent; What harm has been done? Are we any less bike enthusiasts if we own a Revive? Is our enjoyment of the sport diminished because we may not categorize our bike the same way that someone else would?

The motorcycle community is over-run with this sort of bickering, (I speak from experience as a former Harley Owner). "If you don't ride what I ride, where I ride, and how I ride then you don't count for squat!" is an attitude that is prevelant with motorcyclists.

There are a number of people, whether large or small, who were not riding bicycles. But now, because of the introduction of the Revive, are part of a larger family of Human Powered Vehicle Owners. I, myself, am one of this number, and I applaud all who make the conscious choice to put "knees in the breeze" regardless of what they ride.

In Fellowship,
Clyde

"Not all who wander are lost"
J.R.R. Tolkien

news:[email protected]...
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/http://www.le-
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/http://w-
> > ww.bhpc.org.uk/
>

> Hmmm...
>
> It seems to me that there is a certain sensitivity over how the Revive is classified - whether
> as a recumbent, a semi-recumbent, a modified diamond frame, or none of the above, or all of
> the above.
>
> Do I sense a certain degree of bike bigotry amongst some of our number? What if someone
> mistakingly refers to the Revive as a recumbent; What harm has been done? Are we any less bike
> enthusiasts if we own a Revive? Is our enjoyment of the sport diminished because we may not
> categorize our bike the same way that someone else would?

Although I consider it a recumbent if the manufacturer (Giant) doesn't that kinda says it all..?

> The motorcycle community is over-run with this sort of bickering, (I speak from experience as a
> former Harley Owner). "If you don't ride what I ride, where I ride, and how I ride then you don't
> count for squat!" is an attitude that is prevelant with motorcyclists.

As a Suzuki rider I know where you are coming from on this :)

I just got done with the fiest 3 pages of my Revive web page! I'm not done yet, but will work on
it some more this weekend. Here is the link, http://revive.netfirms.com/ Let me know what you
think. Derek

Seamus wrote:

> The Giant Revive is definitely NOT a recumbent.

Indeed. One of the ways we know this is because Giant repeatedly tell us so.

A good few years back before SPDs had been invented and Triathlon was the NEXT BIG THING Shimano produced a pedal specially designed for triathletes. They only sold it for a year then in spite of it's popularity and good sales figures, dropped it from their range.

The pedal was the Shimano PDT-100. It had a wide aluminium base, raised lip for those old-fashioned cleats at the time to fasten to, drilled for toe clips and here's the clever part, a plastic insert which made it suitable to be ridden with trainers instead of cycling shoes. Big deal?

Wellllll, it also made it the perfect touring pedal, toe-clips and wide platform pedal.

Shimano didn't want that. Repeatedly they told us it was a racing pedal and in the end dropped it from their range rather than admit they'd designed an excellent touring pedal.

I have a pair of them on my Moulton APB and still see them occasionally at places such as the CTC York Rally.

DVDerek:

Good website! I like seeing how you used the hose clamps for the water bottle. I'll send you some shots of my now "older" model Revive for your website.

Does anyone reading this thread have a picture of the European Dual Revive discussed a day or two ago? And does that mean the bike has two chain rings up front?

Thanks,

ReviveRider
Springfield, Missouri

I live in St.Louis. I been riding my DX now for about three weeks. Here is a link to my
site.. http://revive.netfirms.com/ derek [/B]

ReviveRider <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> wrote:
> > I live in St.Louis. I been riding my DX now for about three weeks. Here is a link to my site..
> > http://revive.netfirms.com/http://revive.netfirms.com/ derek
>
> DVDerek:
>
> Good website! I like seeing how you used the hose clamps for the water bottle. I'll send you some
> shots of my now "older" model Revive for your website.
>
> Does anyone reading this thread have a picture of the European Dual Revive discussed a day or two
> ago? And does that mean the bike has two chain rings up front?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ReviveRider Springfield, Missouri

The Dual Drive uses an internal hub in the rear with three different gear settings in addition the
the conventional gear cluster. This hub takes the place of a triple chain ring crankset.

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

> Yes, Germany, Bavaria to be exact. I was quite surprised to see the bikes at my LBS and even more
> so as the owner told me he had already sold one. IIRC the Dual Drive model with a price of 850
> Euro had 3x8 gears, the cheaper model was equipped with an 8-speed-cluster, no internal gears, and
> went for 650 Euro.

You know I think it's funny that Giant introduced that model (Dual Drive Revive) in Europe first.
Many of my fellow American cyclists are quite demanding and don't take a bike seriously that's
equiped with only 7-8 speeds.

In my case, I happen to ride, actually commute to work and back on a German designed bike...the
Scooterbike, and it has "only" seven speeds. It comes with a Shimano "Mega Range" cog set and it
gives me a useful range of gears (19.8 to 61.1 gear inches) that allows me to climb steep hills even
though they're rare in Florida and I can cruise easily at 15-17 mph so why would I need more? Still
I find interesting that this Dual Drive Revive isn't available here. Maybe next year?

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

Please do send me a photo of you on your Revive. I would like to make a Revive owners page. Who
knows, it could turn into a nice little web page about revive and their owners.

Ditto on appreciating the Dual's abilities... I could use it to tackle the Ozark hills a little better. Thanks for clarifying the Dual's mechanics. I'll let folks know how the MS 150 goes this weekend using the Revive. Anybody have advice for what to eat the night before and for breakfast? I'm thinking pasta for dinner and for breakfast oatmeal...

David
Springfield, Missouri

Originally posted by Edward Wong
You know I think it's funny that Giant introduced that model (Dual Drive Revive) in Europe first.
Many of my fellow American cyclists are quite demanding and don't take a bike seriously that's
equiped with only 7-8 speeds. <snip>
Still I find interesting that this Dual Drive Revive isn't available here. Maybe next year?

Edward Wong Orlando/B]

ReviveRider <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Edward Wong wrote:
> > You know I think it's funny that Giant introduced that model (Dual Drive Revive) in Europe
> > first. Many of my fellow American cyclists are quite demanding and don't take a bike seriously
> > that's equiped with only 7-8 speeds. <snip> Still I find interesting that this Dual Drive
> > Revive isn't available here. Maybe next year? Edward Wong Orlando/B]
>
> Ditto on appreciating the Dual's abilities... I could use it to tackle the Ozark hills a little
> better. Thanks for clarifying the Dual's mechanics. I'll let folks know how the MS 150 goes this
> weekend using the Revive. Anybody have advice for what to eat the night before and for breakfast?
> I'm thinking pasta for dinner and for breakfast oatmeal...
>
> David Springfield, Missouri

Hey Dave!

Sorry I don't have any nutritional advice for you. I think the oatmeal is a great idea though.
That's what I'm eating right now before I'm off to work;-)

Good luck on the MS 150. I'm certain all will go well. When you ride with a large group of people,
you'll find yourself performing better than riding alone.

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

[email protected] (dvderek) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> John Riley <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Revive fans, if you haven't seen it, there is a 5 minute movie here:
> >
> > http://www.giantbicycles.com/splash-2003-august.asp
>
> Or better yet! Please visit my web page... http://www.revive.netfirms.com You can link to the
> video there on the links page.
>
> I would like to post images of revives and there owners. Please send me a jpg and a short bio and
> I'll start a owners page.

I actually downloaded it on my hard drive last week and have played it several times! It's fun and
very informative to watch.

Edward Wong Orlando, FL