giant semi-recumbent

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Richard Ryan, Mar 15, 2003.

  1. Richard Ryan

    Richard Ryan Guest

    Happened to be at the local bike shop when the Giant rep came by with their new bike, rode it around
    the parking lot. Very slick bike, for around town use it would be very nice. Definitely not a
    touring or go-fast machine (single chainwheel 8 speed). Bike comes out of the box ready to ride,
    virtually no set up time. $699 retail price.

    Dick Ryan

    Tags:

  2. Great, another office chair with two wheels that is slower than a beach cruiser.

    "richard ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Happened to be at the local bike shop when the Giant rep came by with
    their
    > new bike, rode it around the parking lot. Very slick bike, for around town use it would be very
    > nice. Definitely not a touring or go-fast machine (single chainwheel 8 speed). Bike comes out of
    > the box ready to ride, virtually no set up time. $699 retail price.
    >

    > Dick Ryan

  3. Donn Cave

    Donn Cave Guest

    Quoth "richard ryan" <[email protected]>:
    | Happened to be at the local bike shop when the Giant rep came by with their new bike, rode it
    | around the parking lot. Very slick bike, for around town use it would be very nice. Definitely not
    | a touring or go-fast machine (single chainwheel 8 speed). Bike comes out of the box ready to ride,
    | virtually no set up time. $699 retail price.

    Does anyone have a weight for this? I see they list components at http://www.giantbicycles.com/us/0-
    30.000.000/030.000.000.asp?lYear=2003&bikesection=8828&range=140&model=10669

    I don't know if I'd want to plague some dealer for a test ride on this thing when I'm not going to
    buy it anyway (when I already have a vanguard?), but I'm curious how it rides. Obviously not a bike
    for high speed, but not many bike riders care about that anyway. Does that position make for
    positive, responsive handling? Where does pedal-mashing force go - is your weight over the pedals
    enough or do you push back against the little back-rest? Can you do a wheelie?

    Donn

  4. Edward Wong

    Edward Wong Guest

    "Robert Haston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Great, another office chair with two wheels that is slower than a beach cruiser.

    Gee Robert for someone who's never ridden one of these you sure are knowledge-able. Mind
    telling us more?

    Edward Wong Orlando, FL

  5. Edward Wong

    Edward Wong Guest

    "richard ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Happened to be at the local bike shop when the Giant rep came by with their new bike, rode it
    > around the parking lot. Very slick bike, for around town use it would be very nice. Definitely not
    > a touring or go-fast machine (single chainwheel 8 speed). Bike comes out of the box ready to ride,
    > virtually no set up time. $699 retail price.
    >

    > Dick Ryan

    Hummm...I just checked Giant's website and it seems like they did away with the "DX" version of the
    Revive. Only the base model is displayed on the site. The DX is (was?) the higher end model with the
    internal gearing, enclosed drivetrain and "snazzy" electronic console.

    Edward Wong Orlando, FL

  6. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Robert Haston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Great, another office chair with two wheels that is slower than a beach cruiser.

    There is a market for such a thing. Hang out on multi-use paths near retirement communities if you
    want to see some s-l-o-o-o-w riding.

    If it's comfy, easy to mount (low step-through) and looks cool, it will sell. Giant has a knack for
    understanding their markets. The company name says it all.

    -Barry

  7. M..Leuck

    M..Leuck Guest

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > If it's comfy, easy to mount (low step-through) and looks cool, it will sell. Giant has a knack
    > for understanding their markets. The company name says it all.
    >
    > -Barry

    Yea so thought Trek :)

  8. Edward Wong

    Edward Wong Guest

    "m..leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > If it's comfy, easy to mount (low step-through) and looks cool, it will sell. Giant has a knack
    > > for understanding their markets. The company name says it all.
    > >
    > > -Barry
    >
    > Yea so thought Trek :)

    Well Trek is still around and overall pretty successful as far as bicycle manufacturers go. Their
    bent did have a market but they simply refused to promote it and back their own product.

    I have to agree with Barry. Giant does have a knack for identifying potential markets. Just look at
    the variety of models available. They wouldn't be the world's largest bike company if they didn't.

    Edward Wong Orlando, FL

  9. Skip

    Skip Guest

    Speaking of the overpriced Cannondale there's one with less than 100 miles on eBay with a little
    over a day to go. At this point the top bid is less than $1,200 with the reserve not met. If I
    wanted a Cannondale I would be looking for a bargain on the used market.

    news:[email protected]...