giant semi-recumbent

Richard Ryan

Guest
Happened to be at the local bike shop when the Giant rep came by with their new bike, rode it around
the parking lot. Very slick bike, for around town use it would be very nice. Definitely not a
touring or go-fast machine (single chainwheel 8 speed). Bike comes out of the box ready to ride,
virtually no set up time. $699 retail price.

**** Ryan

Great, another office chair with two wheels that is slower than a beach cruiser.

news:[email protected]...

Quoth "richard ryan" <[email protected]>:
| Happened to be at the local bike shop when the Giant rep came by with their new bike, rode it
| around the parking lot. Very slick bike, for around town use it would be very nice. Definitely not
| a touring or go-fast machine (single chainwheel 8 speed). Bike comes out of the box ready to ride,
| virtually no set up time. $699 retail price.

Does anyone have a weight for this? I see they list components at http://www.giantbicycles.com/us/0-
30.000.000/030.000.000.asp?lYear=2003&bikesection=8828&range=140&model=10669

I don't know if I'd want to plague some dealer for a test ride on this thing when I'm not going to
buy it anyway (when I already have a vanguard?), but I'm curious how it rides. Obviously not a bike
for high speed, but not many bike riders care about that anyway. Does that position make for
positive, responsive handling? Where does pedal-mashing force go - is your weight over the pedals
enough or do you push back against the little back-rest? Can you do a wheelie?

Donn

"Robert Haston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Great, another office chair with two wheels that is slower than a beach cruiser.

Gee Robert for someone who's never ridden one of these you sure are knowledge-able. Mind
telling us more?

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

"richard ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Happened to be at the local bike shop when the Giant rep came by with their new bike, rode it
> around the parking lot. Very slick bike, for around town use it would be very nice. Definitely not
> a touring or go-fast machine (single chainwheel 8 speed). Bike comes out of the box ready to ride,
> virtually no set up time. $699 retail price.
>

> **** Ryan

Hummm...I just checked Giant's website and it seems like they did away with the "DX" version of the
Revive. Only the base model is displayed on the site. The DX is (was?) the higher end model with the
internal gearing, enclosed drivetrain and "snazzy" electronic console.

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

"Robert Haston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Great, another office chair with two wheels that is slower than a beach cruiser.

There is a market for such a thing. Hang out on multi-use paths near retirement communities if you
want to see some s-l-o-o-o-w riding.

If it's comfy, easy to mount (low step-through) and looks cool, it will sell. Giant has a knack for
understanding their markets. The company name says it all.

-Barry

"m..leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<yM7da.107433$L1.16042@sccrnsc02>...
> "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1b7da.108986$3D1.3709@sccrnsc01...
>
> > If it's comfy, easy to mount (low step-through) and looks cool, it will sell. Giant has a knack
> > for understanding their markets. The company name says it all.
> >
> > -Barry
>
> Yea so thought Trek :)

Well Trek is still around and overall pretty successful as far as bicycle manufacturers go. Their
bent did have a market but they simply refused to promote it and back their own product.

I have to agree with Barry. Giant does have a knack for identifying potential markets. Just look at
the variety of models available. They wouldn't be the world's largest bike company if they didn't.

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

Speaking of the overpriced Cannondale there's one with less than 100 miles on eBay with a little
over a day to go. At this point the top bid is less than $1,200 with the reserve not met. If I
wanted a Cannondale I would be looking for a bargain on the used market.

news:[email protected]...