Giant TCR 1 sizing

msander19

Aug 25, 2006
Hi guys, I have a question regarding the sizing of the Giant TCR alloy. I have an opportunity to buy a very cheap 04 TCR alloy online. However, the window of opportunity closes very quickly and I'm not going to have a chance to go and try the particular bike out. I'm not overly worried about that as I'm just getting into road biking and I know the bike is an excellent one, but I'm not sure about the sizing. I know the bike uses compact geometry sizing (whatever that means), which means it fits quite different from other bikes. So my question is, for a guy about 6'0 tall with a 34.5" inseam, what size frame woudl I need? Giants website seems to make it look like M, ML, or L would work...although ML isn't made in this frame. I know this might be an annoying question, but please help a newbie out. Thanks.

Just for the record, this is the bike:

http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.006.asp?year=2004&model=10813

I had thought it was a TCR 1 but that was a mistake.

gclark8 said:
Which TCR, there are many models, alloy, Tri, composite...
http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.006.asp?year=2004
Each has a geometry page under the pix.

As for frame sizing, http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/050.000.000/050.600.100.asp I guess the large. :)

Not a good idea to buy a custom fitted bike on line. :rolleyes:
It's a TCR alloy, 2004 model. I realize it's probably not the smartest thing to do, which I acknowledged in my earlier post, but the deal is too good to pass up ($600 shipped, that is pretty good for a lightly used one is it not?) even if the fit ends up being less then ideal and I'm forced to resell it. The chart on the website isn't very helpful and I'm really looking for people who have experience using these bikes or fitting people for them. More sizing help please, lol.

I just thought I'd post these measurements up. I was told to take each of these by a bike sizing website and I'm more confused then ever by the results I gained.

Measurements
-------------------------------------------
Inseam: 34.8
Trunk: 25.62
Forearm: 13.5
Arm: 23.75
Thigh: 25.64
Lower Leg: 22.4
Sternal Notch: 59.4
Total Body Height: 72.25

msander19 said:
was told to take each of these by a bike sizing website and I'm more confused then ever by the results I gained.
As was I when I did this last week. Honestly, go to a (reputable) bike store and ask them to size you up. If you're looking to buy a Giant, go to a store that sells them and seem interested in one of theirs. It is a little cheeky, but at least you will have a better idea.

HTH's
Whytey

msander19 said:
I just thought I'd post these measurements up. I was told to take each of these by a bike sizing website and I'm more confused then ever by the results I gained.

Measurements
Inseam: 34.8
Trunk: 25.62
Forearm: 13.5
Arm: 23.75
Thigh: 25.64
Lower Leg: 22.4
Sternal Notch: 59.4
Total Body Height: 72.25
Remember to select inches at the start.

I think you need to re do your measurements for example your forearm I'm 5'6 and my forearm is 14" if you change this to 14.5" instead of your 13.5

Then the top tube sizes range from 54cm to 56cm which is more like what I would expect for a 6 foot tall person.

So then it looks like a large giant, as you mention the medium large is not made for the frame your looking at, although the medium large would be better.

kleng said:
These are the inputs, where are the results
The Competitive Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 57.3 - 57.8
Seat tube range c-t: 59.0 - 59.5
Top tube length: 52.5 - 52.9
Stem Length: 11.2 - 11.8
BB-Saddle Position: 75.8 - 77.8
Saddle-Handlebar: 52.4 - 53.0
Saddle Setback: 7.6 - 8.0
Seatpost Type: SETBACK

The Eddy Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 58.5 - 59.0
Seat tube range c-t: 60.2 - 60.7
Top tube length: 52.5 - 52.9
Stem Length: 10.1 - 10.7
BB-Saddle Position: 75.0 - 77.0
Saddle-Handlebar: 53.2 - 53.8
Saddle Setback: 8.8 - 9.2

The French Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 60.2 - 60.7
Seat tube range c-t: 61.9 - 62.4
Top tube length: 53.7 - 54.1
Stem Length: 10.3 - 10.9
BB-Saddle Position: 73.3 - 75.3
Saddle-Handlebar: 54.9 - 55.5
Saddle Setback: 8.3 - 8.7

Given that your in between sizing the best thing to do is a store check, as often frame sizes are a personal preference, some people prefer to be more stretched out and lower, some prefer to sit higher.

quick and dirty:

If you're 6'' tall, I guess best fit would come from a L, but a M/L will suit well too.

I have a 05' TCR 1 alloy M/L (53.5) and fits me like a glove (I'm 5.10).

Cheers

I bought my wife the exact bike in M. Now it's mine because she doesn't like to ride anymore. I am 5'10, and am in a very aero position on this bike. So for the sake of my back I don't ride it for much over 3hrs. The L frame would put you in much the same position. An XL would be more comfortable. But, like has been said here a million times, test ride and find what suits you best.

I am finding it frustrating that Giant chooses to use the S-M-L-XL sizing in the US. I was just in Canada and saw they had their frames sized by centimeter.
Anyone know why they do this, and if it's possible to get Giant frames in the wider range of sizes?