Giant TCR 1 vs. Giant TCX 1

jhonseto

Apr 28, 2011
[COLOR= rgb(69, 86, 25)]I am new to the forum, but know a little about cycling... always room for some more knowledge though, so constructive responses would be more than welcomed![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(69, 86, 25)]I have been riding a Giant MTB for years - regularly off road as well as daily commutes (on roads/cobbles and tracks).[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(69, 86, 25)]I have recently moved from the cobbled hills of Edinburgh to the flat tarmac of London and I would like to get a new bike, more suitable for the London commute but also rugged enough for some adventures! Additionally, with a couple of friends, I am planning an epic summer cycle tour from London to Santander - and wish for whatever bike I buy to be able to withstand the tour and also serve me well for my cycling afterwards. [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(69, 86, 25)]- Drop bars are preferred[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(69, 86, 25)]- I am new to compact vs triples (so am open to opinions/pros v cons).[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(69, 86, 25)]- Pannier rack eyes were a restricting factor until I found the Topeak range of racks... [/COLOR]
rolleyes.gif

[COLOR= rgb(69, 86, 25)]- Aesthetics and ergonomics are important[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(69, 86, 25)]I have been looking at both the Giant TCX 1 - cyclocross bike and also the Giant TCR 1 - road bike.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(69, 86, 25)]TCX 1[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(69, 86, 25)]TCR 1[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(69, 86, 25)]TCR 1 Review[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(69, 86, 25)]I think that the cyclocross bike would be suited to my needs, and like the set-up of the Giant TCX 1 (alternative suggestions are more than welcome).[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(69, 86, 25)]Alternatively, the Giant TCR 1 is a beauty (far nicer aesthetics) but I fear I would be too rough for the 'road only' bike.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(69, 86, 25)]My concern about the cyclocross bike are the available frame sizes - XS (50cm), S (53cm), M (55cm), ML (56.5cm), L (57.5cm) [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(69, 86, 25)]I am 6'2", and from recent road bike tests a 60-61cm frame seems the best suited to me. I understand that a smaller frame is preferred for cyclocross bikes, but a 'large' at 57.5 seems pretty small.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(69, 86, 25)]Do any of you have opinions on this matter/suggestions and advice?[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(69, 86, 25)]Obviously, I would like a decent bike, am prepared to invest in one that I would/could use for a good couple of years.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(69, 86, 25)]Thanks[/COLOR]