giant tcr advanced

n_sumo23

May 13, 2006
hey just wondering what your thoughts are on the giant tcr advanced(not team model)
thanks

n_sumo23 said:
hey just wondering what your thoughts are on the giant tcr advanced(not team model)
thanks
Non ISP model is more comfortable. Altho I dont own one (I have a 2005 non advance model) I test rode a shop model and like the shortish wheelbase and the close tolerances of the rear triangle.

n_sumo23 said:
thanks
Hi

I've got a 2006 TCR Advanced Team, its a bit more forgiving than the ISP model which is too stiff for lighter riders. Most of my comments can be related to the ISP model as well.

I find it an extremely stiff frame, one of the lightest on the market, extremely short wheelbase which makes the handling what I would call "precise", it tracks from side to side very quickly, compact frame and tight geometry results in a very stiff rear triangle which often causes some wheelspin when out of the saddle, but this can be cured through improved technique. There is a bit of a front wheel overlap which one needs to get used to. The forks are straight and transmit a bit of road vibration and harshess upwards, but this is a small price to play for the improved handling. If your a small to medium sized rider, you'll appreciate the increased standover height, larger riders would find the long drop to the top tube an issue aesthectically. One small point is the difficulty in using large drink bottles with small compact frames, especially on the seat tube bottle holder.

The frame dynamics provides great stability on descents, it has great poise despite the short wheelbase, with no sign of the wobbles that some frames get. The lightness of the frame / package allows you to use a gear lower, so you end up a bit faster on the road. Some reviews have mentioned the lower bottom bracket which can result in pedal scaping when cornering aggressively, I for one have never had this happen, but this would depend on the crank length and frame size and if your doing criterium racing.

There is the usual quality Giant finish, with great attention to detail (fork tips with security tabs, replaceable rear derailleur hanger etc.). Compared to some other carbon frames I've seen there is almost a mimimalist nature to the frame joins, the bottom bracket and chainstay are very slim in comparison to the Cervelo or BMC frames , yet the stiffness is similiar under testing. Also the weave orientation under the clear coat is precisely laid so the frame looks sharp when viewed close up.

kleng said:
Hi

I've got a 2006 TCR Advanced Team, its a bit more forgiving than the ISP model which is too stiff for lighter riders. Most of my comments can be related to the ISP model as well.

I find it an extremely stiff frame, one of the lightest on the market, extremely short wheelbase which makes the handling what I would call "precise", it tracks from side to side very quickly, compact frame and tight geometry results in a very stiff rear triangle which often causes some wheelspin when out of the saddle, but this can be cured through improved technique. There is a bit of a front wheel overlap which one needs to get used to. The forks are straight and transmit a bit of road vibration and harshess upwards, but this is a small price to play for the improved handling. If your a small to medium sized rider, you'll appreciate the increased standover height, larger riders would find the long drop to the top tube an issue aesthectically. One small point is the difficulty in using large drink bottles with small compact frames, especially on the seat tube bottle holder.

The frame dynamics provides great stability on descents, it has great poise despite the short wheelbase, with no sign of the wobbles that some frames get. The lightness of the frame / package allows you to use a gear lower, so you end up a bit faster on the road. Some reviews have mentioned the lower bottom bracket which can result in pedal scaping when cornering aggressively, I for one have never had this happen, but this would depend on the crank length and frame size and if your doing criterium racing.

There is the usual quality Giant finish, with great attention to detail (fork tips with security tabs, replaceable rear derailleur hanger etc.). Compared to some other carbon frames I've seen there is almost a mimimalist nature to the frame joins, the bottom bracket and chainstay are very slim in comparison to the Cervelo or BMC frames , yet the stiffness is similiar under testing. Also the weave orientation under the clear coat is precisely laid so the frame looks sharp when viewed close up.
The BMC SL01 is stiffer around the BB. I have to move back when sprinting to avoid wheels spin, it gets annoying. The problem is, with a light seatpost, you normally get alot of flex. Maybe not with a lighter rider, or one with a more forward position, but it is sometimes funny watching the seatpost sway, it becomes hypnotic.

PS) I HATE the not-being-able-to-fit-proper-drink-bottles in issue. I had a semi compact, now I have an ultr-stiff traditional, I would never revert.

I've put about 1000 miles on my advanced and love it. The only problem I've had was a recall on the carbon cranks. I had them just switch it out for a Durace crank, which made a lot of difference in my pedal stroke. The Mavic Ksyrium ES wheel set is worth their weight in gold. I have another set that I use for TT, but for everything else I just ride them. It climbs like a mad bike and will glide for a long while past most other bikes. I rode it in the Hotter N Hell and did great on it. You really can't go wrong with this bike.