Giant TCR Aero Problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jonstagg, Jul 28, 2003.

1. jonstagg

jonstagg New Member

:confused: I've had a Giant TCR Aero for about 12 months. Its the time trial frame and fortime trialling its great, flat smooth road, no great speed. But take it down a bit of a descent on a country road and its time to hang on for dear life as it wobbles and bucks and generally behaves very badly.

This happenned on the first I did on the bike ( I took it back to the shop and they looked at the front hubs and the headset ) and it happenned again in a race on Saturday and its happenned regularly in between.

Im wondering if this is just a problem with the frame. Its designed for time trialling and thats it.

I perserved for 12 months and I've had a gutful of it. Im now looking fora new frame. Steel or Carbon - no more aluminium!

Tags:

2. Mampara

Mampara New Member

It must be that type of frame because a club mate om mine also replaced his frame because of the shuttering.

3. belly

belly New Member

Have to say I've had my TCR areo frame since last November and haven't experienced these problems. Same goes for my team mates who all ride similar frames.

I have heard a few stories about them needing some headset adjustments though?

4. jonstagg

jonstagg New Member

Thanks for your reply,

I don't think there is a problem with the standard TCR frame as there are squillions of them out there, several of the blokes I was racing with on Saturday were on TCR frames.

I think this is either a problem with my TCR Aero frame ( I've have it check by 3 bike mechanics ) or , more likely, the TCR Aero Frame itself. This frame was new it 2002 and they probably have some teething problems with it. The ovalised tubes must be a lot stiffer than the regular TCR frame and maybe they've just pushed the envelope too far with steep head angle and stiff frame.

This bike seems to be mostly used by triathletes, and they generally don't do that much high speed descending.

WOuld be interested to know if you have the 2002 Aero or the 2003 model. ( I have the 2002 ) Also if you use it for time trials/ triathlon or for road racing. Also be interested to know if you ride much on blue metals roads as the shudders only happen on rough road surfaces. I've had it up to 80kph on good road surface and its solid as a rock.

If you want to be certain your bike doesn't have this problem find a 70 - 80 kph hill out in the country on a lumpy blue metal road and see what happens. But don't say I didn't warn you. There are certain hills where it happens every time on my bike!

Cheers