Giant TCR Comp 3 - Cannondale RX700 - LeMond Croix de Fer?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Blair9, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Blair9

Blair9 New Member

I'm new to the sport and would like to get into a decent road bike in the $1200 range. I was an avid runner for a couple of years, but the continuous impact took its toll. I'm 6'3" - 205 lbs and am looking at Giant TCR Composite 3, Cannondale RX700 or LeMond Croix de Fer. They are all about the same price (the Giant is the '05 and currently discounted by 25%). I hope to use the bike for fitness and long rides and build up to a century at some point. Should I go with a composite/aluminum/steel frame (assuming I like the fit and ride of each). Is the additional weight of the Croix de Fer going to make that much difference over the long haul? On a long ride does steel perform better than composite for road dampening, etc . . .? Thanks!!

Tags:

2. FrankBattle

FrankBattle New Member

I have the TCR C2. Same frame with all Ultegra components. Bought it last year. I completely love it. I was 215 - 220 @ 6'3" when I got it. I am now 190 - 195. I wouldn't worry about your weight and the composite. You'll be fine. Before that, I had an aluminium fuji roubaix. I liked the fuji also, but the ride was a bit smoother on the Giant.

But $1200 for the Giant is a steal, IMO. I don't have any steel experience, so I can't offer any opinion there. I have done centuries on both the fuji and the giant. Your fit on/to the bike is more important than material, I think as I was fine doing the long distances on both bikes. But the giant was more enjoyable .. it felt a bit more plush though I can't really quantify what that means.

You won't be disappointed with the Giant. But I imagine the others will be fine too as long as you get the right size and spend the time/money to get a fit done professionally; but you may still need tweaking once you get used to the riding position(s) etc.