Giant TCR Composite 1 as a triple?

amdzim

Aug 19, 2003
Approaching 60 and feeling the need for a triple and a lighter bike than my current custom steel Dela Santa--still a great bike, but. I like the Giant TCR Composite 1, along with the Trek 5200 and the Cannondale 2000. However, I am getting different information on the ability to put a tripple chain ring on the Giant. One dealer, a "young kid" who knows everything says "No problem." Another dealer, who is higly thought of, says--"Problems--chain stays too short. We have put some out and won't do it again." I am inclined to believe the one I don't want to hear, but, since I don't wan to hear it, I am looking for any more information. Any of you have any experience with a triple on a Giant Composit 1? What is the problem with short chain stays? If a triple won't work, what about a compact 34-50 with a cassette 12-27?

Thanks, all.

Well...what I read is that the TCR composite is not compatible with triple cranksets. Indeed because of the too short chain stays. However, I know there are aluminium TCRs that are suited for triples. And if you want compiste, there is the Giant hybride that has an aluminum master frame with composite rear stays.
Since a 2 piece crankset will work, I am sure the compact crankset will work as well. I have an OCR now, same length chainstays as the composite and I ride a 27 behind, no problems at all. My guess is that the chain stays tend to go wider in a steeper angel compared to the normal ones so that the blades of a triple would hit the stays.
A friend of me owns a TREK 5200 with triple on it. He is really crazy about his bike...best bike he has ever ridden, so comfortable, so stiff. Ad I heard that from others as well. And boy..did they ride other fantastic bikes :)

Good luck with your choice..Hope I have helped you out a little

Originally posted by amdzim
Approaching 60 and feeling the need for a triple and a lighter bike than my current custom steel Dela Santa--still a great bike, but. I like the Giant TCR Composite 1, along with the Trek 5200 and the Cannondale 2000. However, I am getting different information on the ability to put a tripple chain ring on the Giant. One dealer, a "young kid" who knows everything says "No problem." Another dealer, who is higly thought of, says--"Problems--chain stays too short. We have put some out and won't do it again." I am inclined to believe the one I don't want to hear, but, since I don't wan to hear it, I am looking for any more information. Any of you have any experience with a triple on a Giant Composit 1? What is the problem with short chain stays? If a triple won't work, what about a compact 34-50 with a cassette 12-27?

Thanks, all.
Chainstays are the same length.You can check that yourself on the geometry charts. the real problem has to do with inner ring and chainstay clearance and possibly derailer interference with the seattube.The aluminum frames using a triple have a derailer clearance indent in the seattube. The compact crank is a better option as far as function goes and a 34x27 gives 34 gear inches as opposed to the 35 gi you would get with a 30x23 on a triple,so with some ger combos it's a wash.

boudreaux speaks facts. I have a Giant OCR2 with a triple and the tube is indeed indented. So for the LBS guy who says the chaing stays are too short he is misinformed. He may have heard you can't but a triple on the TCR1 but didn't know why and guessed it.

Thanks, all.

Hi, I have a TCR composite with a Campag centaur groupset & 10 speed triple. I had it built by a very good bike shop who should know what they're doing - I've not had it long, but it seems to be ok so far

Following on from my previous post, although the gears are ok, the seat post keeps slipping down. It's a known problem but it's not really relevant to this discussion so I'll search for other posts on the subject or start a new one. I just didn't want to give amdzim the impression that the bike was perfect

Originally posted by ian-m
Following on from my previous post, although the gears are ok, the seat post keeps slipping down. It's a known problem but it's not really relevant to this discussion so I'll search for other posts on the subject or start a new one. I just didn't want to give amdzim the impression that the bike was perfect
Ahh, the slipping seatpost -- as often a function of seatpost design/construction as the seat tube, so don't rush to fault the poor Giant! TCRs ship with an aero carbon seatpost anyways, and they don't slip too easy. Did you have to trade yours out?

Originally posted by lokstah
Ahh, the slipping seatpost -- as often a function of seatpost design/construction as the seat tube, so don't rush to fault the poor Giant! TCRs ship with an aero carbon seatpost anyways, and they don't slip too easy. Did you have to trade yours out?

Hi lokstah, thanks for the reply. I've started a new thread about this one - search for "hairspray"!

I have to logout now - I'll reply to any more tomorrow night (uk)

Ian

Originally posted by Insight Driver
boudreaux speaks facts. I have a Giant OCR2 with a triple and the tube is indeed indented. So for the LBS guy who says the chaing stays are too short he is misinformed. He may have heard you can't but a triple on the TCR1 but didn't know why and guessed it.

Just in case anyone is still following this thread, although most people seem to be more interestred in the hair spray/seat post offshoot, here is the latest update and the answer.

I wrote Giant posing my question and detailing the differing dealer positons. Giant, bless their heart, actually responded by email and did so in a relatively short time. Here is the official word hot of the press. The following is a copy of the email sent from Giant:

Hi Richard,

Got your message regarding the TCR Composite 1.

The honest answer is that you cannot install a triple chainring on the bike because the rear center distance is too short (400mm, needs to be a minimum of 407mm). If you did shifting performance would be constrained. For the future we will address this issue.

In the meantime, my recommendation would be to run a FSA compact crankset (50/34T-plenty of gearing for most riding conditions) as option #1 or to take a serious look at the OCR Elite model which provides triple chainring along with a nice modified geometry (1 degree slacker head angle for more relaxed riding, 25c tires for smoother ride, longer wheelbase for more stability) that might suit you better than the TCR racing geometry.

I hope this helps,

Dennis Lane

So, LBS guy was correct. It is the chain stay lenght and Giant doesn't recomend it. I did talk to a 3rd LBS. This fellow was pretty much right on with the practical answer. It can be done but you do have "harder shfiting."

I had considered the FSA compact crankset and ran this past the dealer who gave me the "correct" no triple answer. I suggested pairing it with a 12-27 rear. He said this was a great idea and would be no problem. In any event, I am very impressed by the fact that Giant took the time and effort to answer my question

So, LBS guy was correct. It is the chain stay lenght and Giant doesn't recomend it. I did talk to a 3rd LBS. This fellow was pretty much right on with the practical answer. It can be done but you do have "harder shfiting."
It does not really make 'harder shifting'. The shorter stays create more extreme angles in the extreme gearing combinations like smaller cogs and small ring as well as bigger cogs and bigger ring. The possibility of derailer rub can also be greater, and many idiots buy triples thinking they ought to be able to use any cog in any ring. It'll work if you know what you are doing, and giant has just decided to sidestep issues from underinformed consumers.

amdzim said:

Thanks, all.
You do know that the OCR composit is almost the same bike but it has the tripple.

Why Modify when they already make what you want.

I just purchased a TCR C1 2005 I will pick it up in 2 weeks. I have to wait for a CD to mature.

I can't wait to get it home and ride it.

Right now I have a Basso GAP 1997 and the Giant is so much lighter.

basso97 said:
You do know that the OCR composit is almost the same bike but it has the tripple.

Not in 2003, it wasn't. The OCR Composite didn't even exist. Take a look at the date the question was raised.
;)

friedmikey said:
Not in 2003, it wasn't. The OCR Composite didn't even exist. Take a look at the date the question was raised.
;)
Hahaha wow... I was reading this and thinking why not get the OCR Comp... then I too realized this was posted in 2003. Funny stuff...

basso97 said:

Wow, talk about a current reply to an old thread! Here is the update. I am surprised it doesn't show on the thread already.

1. I wrote Giant directly and asked them. They very nicely and quickly replied. Their reply was that they did NOT recomend a triple because the chain stays were too short to allow for smooth shifting across that wide an angle. They did say they were aware of the problem and would address it in the future. This was two years ago and I don't know if they have or not, so you might be looking at a bike that now has slightly different geometry to accomodate a triple.

2. Giant did recomend using a compact crank instead. That was a recomendation I had already received from another bike shop. I ran it through a gear calculator and figured that if you combined a compact crank with a 12-27 you got almost everything you got from a triple in terms of the total gear range. So, had the Giant fit, I would have bought it and done the compact crank BUT

3. I am hard to fit--too much of me height is in my legs which gives me a correspondingly short torso--and the Giant just did not fit right. So, I never did do the compact crank but it is a great way to do it and, since then, remember this was two years ago and compact cranks were pretty new, I see a lot of compact cranks.

I did end up buying an Orbea Orca with a triple. Great bike!! I also very much like a triple. I find that the middle ring on the crank is great for rolling country and all but the steepest climbs. I bike in the San Francisco Bay Area, primarily the East Bay hills, and do a lot of climbing. Most of it I do in the middle ring. I save the triple for the worst of the worst but think that is really not such a good idea and am getting away from it. I think the better idea is to use the lower gears when climging and maintain a higher cadence.