Giant TCR composite 1 vs Cannondale

Duck0761

Nov 11, 2003
Hey guys,

I"m seriously looking to purchase a road bike . I'm not an expert. Like to ride 3 to 4000 K per seasons. Few duathlon . 6'2 180 lb

I don't rely on bias recommendations from saleman!!

Need real advice

Carbon VS alu ?????

Thanks for your help

Daniel

Originally posted by Duck0761
Hey guys,

I"m seriously looking to purchase a road bike . I'm not an expert. Like to ride 3 to 4000 K per seasons. Few duathlon . 6'2 180 lb

Need real advice

Carbon VS alu ?????

Thanks for your help

Daniel
Oh,Geeze. Just go ride em both and figure it out. It's your butt,not someone elses.

Hi Duck. Sorry for the rude hello.

Those are both nice makes, as you probably already know. What Cannondale are you looking at? An R2000? I'm assuming you've got it down to a pair of models that offer comparable component specs (like the Ultegra drivetrain); beyond that, between the R2000 and the Giant TCR1 Composite, it's going to come down to personal preference and fit.

I believe Giants are made overseas, unlike Cannondales, which may or may not be an issue to you; their workmanship is excellent though.

One significant component difference, presuming we're talking about '04 models (it may also be the case for the '03s), is in wheelset choice: Cannondale specs the R2000 with Ksyrium SLs while Giant specs the TCR1 Comp with cheaper and heavier Ksyrium Elites; figure that into your price/value determination.

The advertised perk of the Giant is, of course, the frame material; the sell is going to be a light, snappy and low-vibration ride. That may seal the deal for you... but you won't know until you test them out. Aluminum tends to be harsher, but modern higher-end alu frames can be quite comfy. Not everyone prefers carbon over aluminum.

So get out there and ride them! Good luck, have fun.

I am researching a new road bike, as well. Unfortunately, I have to decide what to buy without riding it, because no Giant dealers stock the TCR line. Same deal regarding higher end models from Cannondale, Specialized, etc. Forget riding nice custom bikes or anything with Campy. I live in a bike unfriendly city. Have you read the reviews at www.roadbikereview.com? Guys seem to rave over the Giant TCR Composite. I am biased, because the TCR Composite 2 is high on my list.

Jürgen

uummm...just my 2 cents here. I did test ride the TCR 2 composite and found it to be quite nice. However one word of caution, if you decide to go with the TCR, make sure the bike really fits you...and don't necessarily believe what the salesman say...like "it fits you". The TCR has limited number sizes, I didn't buy one because my fit is between a S and a M.
If you're into Carbon, you might as well check out the TREK OCLV and the Kestrel's carbons as well (Talon and the new ...umm forgot model name).
Also, since you're also considering aluminum, Trek has a 2300 which is aluminum/carbon...which should help to smooth out the ride.
I went with the Kestrel Talon because it's carbon and it can be used for road as well as TT.
GL

oh one more word about www.roadbikereview.com ...while this site does offer much meaningful/helpful reviews from reviewers....most of these ARE OWNERS of the reviewed bikes...so therefore, a small amount of bias is usually involved.

You'll see common terms like...fast, comfy....etc... but not enough contrucstive reviews and comparisons.

Here is an exact copy of a response I gave to a similar question (about carbon versus aluminium):

Speaking from personal experience, you can't beat the ride and comfort of a carbon frame.

I have a Giant TCR Aluminium that I have ridden for about 3 years, as well as a Giant TCR Composite that I bought recently (price was irresistable).

The alu frame is good, but the composite frame is in a class of its own (both have Ultegra - no difference there). There is no noticable flexing in the bottom bracket of the composite frame, my butt does not get punished on harsh surfaces, every joule of energy exerted on the cranks makes the bike move forewards, nothing is wasted.

I have retired the Alu bike (not really - I use it only on my mag trainer now).

Added: The above is a comparison of my bikes, both of which are Giants, I have not ridden a Cannondale, so it might be that the Cannondale has similar or the same feeling as the Giant composite. I do know that the Giant is a perfect fit for me, and is the best bike I have ever ridden.

Hey, good input, Julian. Most of us don't have many miles logged on carbon and aluminum versions of otherwise nearly identical frames -- interesting experiences.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Rudy
oh one more word about www.roadbikereview.com ...while this site does offer much meaningful/helpful reviews from reviewers....most of these ARE OWNERS of the reviewed bikes...so therefore, a small amount of bias is usually involved.

You'll see common terms like...fast, comfy....etc... but not enough contrucstive reviews and comparisons.
Yeah,and how many are going to do a negative on a bike they just dropped big dinero on?

Originally posted by lokstah
Hey, good input, Julian. Most of us don't have many miles logged on carbon and aluminum versions of otherwise nearly identical frames -- interesting experiences.

Thanks!
Only if everything from saddles,bar tape, to wheels,tires and air pressure is the same

Originally posted by boudreaux
Only if everything from saddles,bar tape, to wheels,tires and air pressure is the same...
...is Julian's observation approaching science. To the normal remainder of us, his experiences are welcome personal observations. Controlled experiments are wonderful, but one shouldn't have to refrain from sharing less exacting information. Julian's comments are interesting annecdotes, and aren't intended to serve as research data for the book you're authoring on cycling science.

This is a discussion forum. We're here to chat about our time on our bikes, and to exchange ideas -- even casual observations. If that frustrates you to no end, as anyone who sees your posts regularly probably suspects of you, you should consider another forum site.

...is Julian's observation approaching science. To the normal remainder of us, his experiences are welcome personal observations. Controlled experiments are wonderful, but one shouldn't have to refrain from sharing less exacting information. Julian's comments are interesting annecdotes, and aren't intended to serve as research data for the book you're authoring on cycling science.

This is a discussion forum. We're here to chat about our time on our bikes, and to exchange ideas -- even casual observations. If that frustrates you to no end, as anyone who sees your posts regularly probably suspects of you, you should consider another forum site.
Science does matter. Stuff becomes folklore and psudofact that the underinformed spread like fertilizer. Surely you should have no objection to an informed counterpoint?

Of course not. Counterpoint is always valid.

Perhaps it's me. I just find you eager to inject your (often valid and informative) opinion with an emphasis on curt, dismissive attitude and a deliberate lack of politeness or respect. You'll address a perfect stranger and a new forum member with an "oh please, what a worthless question" attitude; I try to ignore it but from time to time your persistence floors me. We've had this exchange before; it's a dead horse.

The general advisment, for instance, that a prospective buyer actually ride two frames to compare them needn't preclude less precise conversation. Julian's observations, for instance, were'nt presented as scientific fact; they were presented precisely as what they were -- his experiences on a pair of similar bikes. Assign information value as you see fit, but if you need to be unpleasant about it, expect to unleash the sappy crusader and the politeness police from time to time.

This is a social forum as much as it is a place for information exchange. I wonder if you approach people in other apsects of social life as causticly and humorlessly as you do here.

Assign information value as you see fit, but if you need to be unpleasant about it, expect to unleash the sappy crusader and the politeness police from time to time.

I wonder if you approach people in other apsects of social life as causticly and humorlessly as you do here.
Thanks, I'm already on the correctness police 10 most wanted list, and got turned down for a job as a Good Humor truck driver. :( Consider it a difference in style.

I figured as much. Oh well. Well, one man's discussion forum is another man's bile valve. Whatever will be will be, and so on.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Thanks, I'm already on the correctness police 10 most wanted list, and got turned down for a job as a Good Humor truck driver. :( Consider it a difference in style.

ROFL...........LOL

Originally posted by Duck0761
Hey guys,

Need real advice

Carbon VS alu ?????

Thanks for your help

Daniel

Im looking at the 2004 TCR2 bike myself. The shop that I am buying from really stresses fit on a bike. The shop just invested in a body scannin system that will aid in determining proper stem/toptube lenghts as well as other variables. I will be going Friday to do the body scan. They have a large frame in stock, im hoping that this will be the frame that fits me, but If I must wait for the medium the bike fitting right will be worth the wait. fyi Im 5ft 11, ill let ya know what he recommeneds for a person at your height.